Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Posts
    72

    Default Does Valentine have a patent on those arrows?

    Maybe the wrong board but I was going to reply to a post below but it was at three pages. I want everyone to know my genius!
    You'd think after all these years that someone would of copied them if they could?

    The 9500 is audible right? Why can't they have it say 'WEST' or 'SOUTH' after it says the band of radar? Perhaps I need to invent the 95000Ed. Hmmm....

  2. #2
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ejd7 View Post
    Maybe the wrong board but I was going to reply to a post below but it was at three pages. I want everyone to know my genius!
    You'd think after all these years that someone would of copied them if they could?

    The 9500 is audible right? Why can't they have it say 'WEST' or 'SOUTH' after it says the band of radar? Perhaps I need to invent the 95000Ed. Hmmm....
    It's been mentioned alot that the V1 does indeed have a patent on those arrows. I'm pretty sure belscort would have come up with a RD that had arrows long ago if it didn't. As for the whole west south thing, the 9500i and other belscort RDs don't have a rear radar horn so it probably wouldn't work as good as the V1s arrows do.

  3. #3
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Omaha, Nubraska
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Yes, they do have a patent on it. I believe it expires within a few years I think. I remember a couple years ago Professor Jimbonzz posted something about it expiring.

    EDIT: Found it. I guess the patent expires in 2011. I can't believe I remembered that far back.

    http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...ng-2011-a.html
    Last edited by The_Disclaimer; 07-25-2008 at 12:15 AM.

  4. #4
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,509

    Default

    Valentine doesn't really have a patent on the "arrows", but rather on a radar detector that indicates the directional origin of the signal source...

  5. #5
    Power User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz View Post
    Valentine doesn't really have a patent on the "arrows", but rather on a radar detector that indicates the directional origin of the signal source...

    So can Belscort copy it? or their type of detectors are not capable of pointing direction?

  6. #6
    Power User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by focalcivic View Post
    So can Belscort copy it? or their type of detectors are not capable of pointing direction?
    They can't copy it while the patent is still in effect and it is impossible for any other detector to have useful arrows without a rear radar antenna.

    Can you imagine how much Belscort would charge for a new detector with a rear antenna and arrows added on top of the GPS crap they already implemented. How does $750 with free upgrades for the next month sound?
    Last edited by <<JAZZY>>; 07-25-2008 at 08:52 AM.

  7. #7
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by <<JAZZY>> View Post
    Can you imagine how much Belscort would charge for a new detector with a rear antenna and arrows added on top of the GPS crap they already implemented. How does $750 with free upgrades for the next month sound?

  8. #8
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,618

    Default

    A new patent can be filed if it IMPROVES on that patent. My bright idea is to have a detector with 4 horns. The side ones could be MUCH less sensitive than the front/rear ones, and MUCH smaller (so the detector wouldn't be overly large). Seems awfully easy to me.

  9. #9
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    567

    Default

    its just like an ancient chinese philosopher who once said - "its just a wall."
    i am sure the engineers at escort, bel, and whistler have bouced this idea and others around for years. those pesky patents just keep getting in the way. not to mention the design, engineering, and development that it would take to pull it off. who do you think they are - the government.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. V1 Radar Direction (Arrows) Patent
    By Jammer in forum Valentine One
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-02-2009, 09:32 PM
  2. Arrows Patent: When will it expire?
    By vcs in forum Valentine One
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 02-08-2009, 04:30 PM
  3. valentine patent
    By BullyDawg19 in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-17-2007, 07:02 PM
  4. Valentine Arrows...hey what about 10 and 2
    By oak3x in forum Valentine One
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-07-2006, 08:17 PM
  5. Regarding the patent of V1's arrows ending in 2011?
    By Audi Quattro in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-12-2006, 05:15 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •