Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default ZR4 Mounting Questions

Hello Everyone. I apologize if I'm breaking all kinds of forum rules in my posting, but please cut me a little slack, I'm still quite new to this. Here's my question(s)...
    I've recently purchased a ZR4 Shifter to link to my 8500 x50, but I'm having a hard time deciding where to mount it. I've combed through the recent posts, and contemplated the big variables (center of mass, front license plate and headlights) but I'm still unsure. I don't have a lot of access to LIDAR testing and since I'm having it professionally installed, I really only have one shot at this. Here's a picture of my two choices, at this time I'm leaning towards the blue, but I don't really know why.

I think the green would offer more protection to my front license plate, and unfortunately Massachusetts requires me to have one. On the other hand, the blue protects my headlights and maybe my center mass, but I really have no idea what that means.

Any advice you guys could give me would be much apreciated. BTW this is a generic picture I got off the web. I don't have fog lights on my car, nor do I have a hood skirt. My Honda Accord 06 is dark (midnight) blue. I also have G4 Veil and a laser shield plate to supplement the Shifter. Thanks again!

Default Re: ZR4 Mounting Questions

Glad you mentioned that you don't have fog lights on your car. Since that's the case, I would suggest the blue location.

Power User

if the blue allows you to, do it there. . . my Civic MADE me go green, because while the clamp system made it on the grille and all that, with them on there the grille wouldnt go back on the car. . . so id watch out for that. . . because your grille looks very similar to mine

heres how it turned out:
    http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...y-new-toy.html
    Last edited by Arashi666; 08-28-2008 at 10:25 PM.

Newcomer

Thanks for the quick replies on that guys. It's going to the shop next Friday for the install, so I have a little bit longer to make up my mind. It sounds like the blues are the way to go. I've already purchased a replacement grille (black, not chrome) with the anticipation of maybe having to modify the grille to get it to mount as square and level as possible.

A couple of quick follow up questions if you don't mind...

Should I recess the heads or get them to stick out past the grille when they're mounted?

Also, I bought G4 Veil for the front headlights and a Laser Shield for the front license plate. Do these products help or are they just playing off of my ignorance?? Are there other brands/products that work better??

Sorry, I know that last question is a little off thread topic, but I thought I'd just throw it out there.

Thanks!

Do not recess the heads, at least not more than 1/4 inch, or the shifter emissions could feed back into the receivers.

Veil works splendidly by all accounts. I really need to get some myself!

Check your local and state laws about using any type of license plate cover. The Laser Shield supposedly does work rather well.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi666 View Post
    if the blue allows you to, do it there. . . my Civic MADE me go green, because while the clamp system made it on the grille and all that, with them on there the grille wouldnt go back on the car. . . so id watch out for that. . . because your grille looks very similar to mine

heres how it turned out:
    http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...y-new-toy.html

Instead of the clips, you can take them off and use 3m body molding tape.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by focalcivic View Post
    Instead of the clips, you can take them off and use 3m body molding tape.

I could, but that would make them wonderful obvious targets for theft and/or valdalization. . . besides, I dont know what I would do if it didnt come out level on it. . . how would I go about adjusting it

I suppose its worth a try though, i just feel so venerable with them sitting that low

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi666 View Post
    I could, but that would make them wonderful obvious targets for theft and/or valdalization. . . besides, I dont know what I would do if it didnt come out level on it. . . how would I go about adjusting it

I suppose its worth a try though, i just feel so venerable with them sitting that low
    Honestly anywhere that you can see the heads make it vulnerable. But they would have to cut the wires and they are basically useless without the control box and display anyway.

As for the tape it is super strong and takes some muscle to get it off, actually might be harder than if it was screwed in, since all you need is a screw driver.

Use the supplied metal mounting brackets and 3M VHB tape which you can get at your local Radio Shack. A theif would horribly bend the metal brackets trying to pull them off if they are stuck on with VHB tape. And of course, using the metal mounting brackets, you can actually even more precisely level the shifter heads. Just make sure the installer cleans the brackets and the attachment points on the car with isopropyl alcohol before applying the VHB tape.

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Inphynet View Post
    Also, I bought G4 Veil for the front headlights and a Laser Shield for the front license plate. Do these products help or are they just playing off of my ignorance?? Are there other brands/products that work better??
    Check out this thread:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...r-veil-g4.html

And also look at the GOL's ZR4 test-data (unofficial), pairing the ZR4 with VEIL G4.