Experienced

Default veil and laser shield, why?

just wondering why some members choose veil on the lights and have lasesheild on there plates? i certanly wont use a whole pot of veil unless of course i mess up putting it on so why pay more for laser sheild and not just use up the veil you allready bought?
    TIA.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by maty j View Post
    just wondering why some members choose veil on the lights and have lasesheild on there plates? i certanly wont use a whole pot of veil unless of course i mess up putting it on so why pay more for laser sheild and not just use up the veil you allready bought?
    TIA.
    The Laser Shield is meant to accent your protection.For users like myself that chose to stick with a led based system like the ZR3 or ZR4,the Laser Shield helps cut down on reflectivity.

Manufacturer

many years we determined why the perception that plate covers like the lasershield did not work.

the reason was simple. even with a good plate cover like the shield if your headlights were not treated/protected in some way, the headlights would be responsible for giving the laser operator his speed.

now with veil eliminating the headlights as a source of laser reflectivity, the capabilities of the lasershield can be appreciated.

if you weren't inclined to purchase the plate cover, you could go to an auto retailer and purchase an inexpensive clear/colorless plastic plate protector and simply apply veil to it.

others have successfully used 3m diffusing tape on the plate to accomplish a similar effect.

personally, though, i wouldn't want to put stuff like that on my bimmer, as it can look a little 'cheesy.' therefore, i would recommend do one or the other and you should be in good shape.

radarbusters does offer a veil+laser shield combo which trims about 10 bucks off the combined package, which is a fine deal, imo.

good luck with whatever you choose to do, my friend.

veil guy
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Experienced

yes, i see what its for but why not just veil up the license plate as Bob suggests if you allready have some veil spare - should of made it clear in the first post that that is what i ment. only reason i can think of is the colour of veil may taint the plate and get you pulled for it but if G4 isn't as bad as G3 then surely just veiling everything would be easyer (and cheaper)?

personally i wouldnt be too keen on the 3M tape either. for $20 for a laser sheild and less for a coating of veil it isnt much to pay. why do you suggest applying veil to a clear plate over the license plate Bob as opposed to applying it straight onto the license plate it'self?

can you tell the laser sheild is on the plate once its installed then - thats the only thing i was worrying about if i added veil to mine, the veil darkening my plate up. i know in this country a while ago there was a big buzz about spray to stop the cameras reading your license plate. it worked but the cops soon cottoned onto it and pulled those using it so if its obvious that you have the sheild on i'll need to re-think.
    cheers,

Old Timer

Not having seen the new one on a plate, it was not recommended to Veil your plate because of how painfully obvious it was that your plate was treated with "something." It basically made it look like crap. Hopefully, this new Veil won't look so bad.

Manufacturer

nah, i believe it will still be noticeable especially against a white or very light colored background, veil g4 can be thinned out a bit by applying it with the brush further per unit used (the same goes for the headlights) which will allow some flexibility in the final appearance than any individual may care to have, but in the end, i think a cover is the way to go.

veil guy
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Experienced

cheers guys, now i see why so many choose the sheild aswell as veil on the lights once the tests have been done Bob, and if they come up with the results im after(and i've heard what the members on here have to say about G4) i'll get in touch with Roy and see if he has the european plate cover sizes and probably order the combo.
    cheers,

Manufacturer

cheers!

if not, ontrack certainly makes plate covers in all shapes and sizes for the european market.

veil guy

Experienced

Thanks for the info Bob. i'll run a quick google search for them.
    cheers.