Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida

Right now, Sat. May 24 and Sunday, June 14 is open... I'm tied up on Sunday, May 25, Sunday June 08 and June 15.

Experienced

Default Re: Florida

Found this in the search

Just wanted to bump it for anyone wanting to put new notes up....
    I'm in the UCF area also... Don't have a radar detector yet.. Highly interested in getting one though. Been researching.
    I read the whole thread... Good info.. saved alot of bits of information in a .txt

Gracias.

Experienced

Hola, welcome to the board man. I can say that I am a fellow knight as well. From the videos (you can ask ELVATO) I think they did one of the CFL tests at UCF. Read the boards, don't get caught up with the V1/CI arguments, and if you have any questions, post them up, just don't admit to owning a cobra..

Secondly, I'm headed back down to school the 23rd, I was wondering if you guys have stumbled along any info that the FHP or anyone else is elevating their patrols, or if they are going to be increasing the number of officers on the road during that time period. I'm trying to plan my route accordingly.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by TRDdave View Post
    Hola, welcome to the board man. I can say that I am a fellow knight as well. From the videos (you can ask ELVATO) I think they did one of the CFL tests at UCF. Read the boards, don't get caught up with the V1/CI arguments, and if you have any questions, post them up, just don't admit to owning a cobra..

Secondly, I'm headed back down to school the 23rd, I was wondering if you guys have stumbled along any info that the FHP or anyone else is elevating their patrols, or if they are going to be increasing the number of officers on the road during that time period. I'm trying to plan my route accordingly.
    HAha No the name has nothing to do with Cobra Radar Detectors. I don't own a Detector yet. I'm not a Knight though... Just attending Valencia @ the time. CI is out of my price range by a long shot so I don't even read those.. I'm leaning heavly towards a V1 but the 9500iX is on the table as my only other real option, due to the fact on 35Ka the V1 isn't sharp on angles & it doesn't have any learning features for the repetitive falses(like the CVSs). On the other hand my main travel isn't on the highway so 34.7ka would still do great with the County and the v1 will atleast alarm to laser about 100% of the time so I will learn quickly if I need to consider investing in a radar jammer. So yeah defiantly leaning 90% V1 & 10% 9500ix. Buying a detector in about 2 months. Also yes I've been reading the board like crazy, I like to do alot of research.

Sorry no information on FHP post ups.

Thanks.

Old Timer

Yea, the first meet, we went to one of the garages to an "overpass" scenario.

No, I haven't heard of FHP planning anything. Granted, I never really hear anything in the first place.

Experienced

Yea I thought I those were the towers in the background... I can't remember who posted up last time about the elevated presence of FHP when I went down to Ft. Lauderdale last time, but it sure helped me out. I've got a a gut feeling that they will be out to prey on all of the traveling students...

Experienced

I was reading over the Florida laws regarding motor vehicle operation tonight and here are few things that I thought were attention gettings.. Just a little FYI.

If your speeding you better use your turn signals while changing lanes otherwise if the cop wishes to he can tack on an aggressive careless driving.
    316.1923 Aggressive careless driving.--"Aggressive careless driving" means committing two or more of the following acts simultaneously or in succession:

(1) Exceeding the posted speed as defined in s. 322.27(3)(d)5.b.
    (2) Unsafely or improperly changing lanes as defined in s. 316.085.
    (3) Following another vehicle too closely as defined in s. 316.0895(1).
    (4) Failing to yield the right-of-way as defined in s. 316.079, s. 316.0815, or s. 316.123.
    (5) Improperly passing as defined in s. 316.083, s. 316.084, or s. 316.085.
    (6) Violating traffic control and signal devices as defined in ss. 316.074 and 316.075.
    - There no defined Following to close distance for a particular speed.
    (1) The driver of a motor vehicle shall not follow another vehicle more closely than is reasonable and prudent, having due regard for the speed of such vehicles and the traffic upon, and the condition of, the highway.
    - Racing is a misdemeanor but your first offense your license is suspended for 1 year.

- If your passenger is drinking a beer that is cool as long as he has possession of it. If he does not have possession of it, it is considered property of the driver. So make sure if you ever have a passenger drinking something that he/she holds it in his hands. Per 316.1936

- Its actually illegal to leave your car running unattended.

- Its actually illegal to coast in neutral while going downhill! lol!

- Running Red emergency lights is only a non-moving violation.

- Illegal Tint is only a $60 ticket.

- Speeding
    For speed exceeding the limit by:
    Fine:

1-5 m.p.h ............ Warning
    6-9 m.p.h ............ $25
    10-14 m.p.h ............ $100
    15-19 m.p.h ............ $125
    20-29 m.p.h ............ $150
    30 m.p.h. and above ............ $250
    There is also a MANDATORY COURT APPEARANCE for tickets 30 and over.
    You better have a lawyer too. If not expect your fine to Increase to the maximum among other things.
    I'm part of a forum where some of us tend to go nuts sometimes so there is plenty of experience with the court.
    Last edited by ThE_JOkeR; 08-14-2008 at 11:44 PM.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by CobraSTylE View Post
    There is also a MANDATORY COURT APPEARANCE for tickets 30 and over.
    You better have a lawyer too. If not expect your fine to Increase to the maximum among other things.
    I'm part of a forum where some of us tend to go nuts sometimes so there is plenty of experience with the court.
    Don't suppose you can go more into the "over 30" thing for me?

Ran from Daytona Beach to Pensacola and back this past weekend. Trip took me up I-95 and I-10. 295 Around Jax. Minimal FHP presence on I95 and 295. Ran past FDOT running what looked like laser (Passport gave off no warning) under an overpass in construction zone just west of the 295 exit on I-10.
    On the return trips I saw 4-5 FDOT / FHP troopers pulling people over for what I assume was them getting hit with Ka... though I didn't detect anything.
    I successfully navigated two instant-on K traps in between Tal and P-cola on I-10. The well hidden LEOs hit the car in front of me... I love the thumbs up I get from the other drivers when they're cruising with me at 90 and get the hint when I slow down and move over.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by vasmir View Post
    Don't suppose you can go more into the "over 30" thing for me?

Ran from Daytona Beach to Pensacola and back this past weekend. Trip took me up I-95 and I-10. 295 Around Jax. Minimal FHP presence on I95 and 295. Ran past FDOT running what looked like laser (Passport gave off no warning) under an overpass in construction zone just west of the 295 exit on I-10.
    On the return trips I saw 4-5 FDOT / FHP troopers pulling people over for what I assume was them getting hit with Ka... though I didn't detect anything.
    I successfully navigated two instant-on K traps in between Tal and P-cola on I-10. The well hidden LEOs hit the car in front of me... I love the thumbs up I get from the other drivers when they're cruising with me at 90 and get the hint when I slow down and move over.
    What exactly do you want to know more about?

The "You better have a lawyer too. If not expect your fine to Increase to the maximum among other things." part I was just taking from some memory of reading of peoples experiences on the forum I go on.(Its a motorcycle forum & in the Florida section)
    I forget exactly how the fine was increased but I'm pretty sure they would just tack on Court Cost and whatever else goes along with that. I don't believe they can raise the actual ticket cost. Those who hired lawyers faired much better off such as being able to get the points off etc etc.

For example I hired a really cheap lawyer for a illegal u-turn & didn't have to appear and just ended up paying the ticket cost. No Points, No class and the Ticket will not even appear on my record. Not a 30+ court appearance but just an example how hiring a lawyer helped me quite a bit. I wouldn't listen to those people who say don't hire a lawyer its a waste of money because if the judge isn't nice they will rape you and you won't be able help your self. Not worth the risk not hiring one IMO.

Also just FYI about being able to take the class. You can take it 5 times in your lifetime and Max once a year.

Oh and I'm not sure if it has been passed yet or not because its been shot down a few times and restructured. I believe they are trying to make 50 over the PSL something pretty serious. It was originally discriminatory law of 30+ for bikes only and some Biker organizations got involved and it got shot down then restructured for cars too then upto 50. I still think its just on the table. I didn't see anything about it while I was going through the statues.
    ----
    Yeah those FHP like to hide down in the trees around those occasional blind bends. Atleast with my experience with I-95.

How does that CB radio work for you in our parts? Good intel or no?
    Last edited by ThE_JOkeR; 08-24-2008 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThE_JOkeR View Post

How does that CB radio work for you in our parts? Good intel or no?

I too am curious about the CB usefulness here in FL. I have noticed in the past 3 months that police/FHP have exponentially beefed up on speed traps, general speeding tickets, etc. They are definitely not out their for anyone's safety at all anymore, just to ticket for speed. The recent ramp up is completely unrelated to the HUGE state budget cuts, of course(sarcasm!). I'm noticing FHP are switching out their old fleet and moving towards Chargers - many stealth. Local/Regional are also seemingly switching to chargers as well. At any rate, with the huge budget cuts and all the new cars - I guess they have to pay for them some how, right?