Thread: Maryland?

Newcomer

Default Maryland?

Anyone have any information on what the LEO's use in Maryland the most? I'm thinking about buying a Bel V955 or Whistler XTR690 (I am on a budget here as i am a college student and will be doing an hour commute every day).

I heard the Whistler's are better for Ka band, but 955 are better for all around performance so i was wondering what the norm is in the Maryland area. I live 20 minutes away from PA line, but school is 10 minutes outside Baltimore.

I'm still not completely sold on this detector business to be honest...I already have gotten 5 points on my license from one ticket so if I get another ticket I'm probably doomed. I really just want a RD so I can drive comfortably (5-10 over) and not really have to worry about it. If anyone could give me tips on using a radar detector like the whole rabbit system and etc. please feel free to send me a tell and it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old Timer

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...tml#post421940

PA state police use K band...locals can only use ENRADD and vascar...maryland looks like a of laser so u might want to save up for a jammer as well

Professional

Last ticket I got was in Maryland. It was about 5 or 6 years ago and I was on Rt 15 South around Thurmont. I can't remember if it was a MD state trooper or a Frederick County Sherrif's Deputy that got me. Anyway, I didn't have a detector at the time so I don't know what he was using.

On a separate note, I hate Maryland.
    I never appreciated New Jersey until I went to school down there. (No offense of course).

As far as using rabbits, the basic rule of thumb is: You want to have someone going at least as fast as you that you can drive behind but keep in sight in case he/she gets nailed by a cop. If the cop radars your rabbit, your detector should pick it up (if its sensitive enough). Likewise if you see your rabbit hit the brakes, you know something's up. Most people say to stay at least 1/4 mile behind your rabbit but at least close enough to keep him in sight. This way if you see your rabbit take a hit, you can have enough time to slow down (if the rabbit doesn't get pulled over himself for some reason.)

Happy driving and I didn't mean to insult your state.

Good Citizen

Anyone have any information on what the LEO's use in Maryland the most?
    On I-83 you will encounter both county police and MSP Troopers. Most of the county cops I've seen (when they have RADAR) are equipped with Stalker ATRs (handheld Ka band) which can do opposite-direction moving mode. A year or so ago I also came across a county cruiser with a K-55 (2 piece X or K band) in a parking lot in Hunt Valley.

MSP Troopers can have Kustom Eagle series RADARs (3 piece Ka band) with same-direction moving capability. In fact, every time I've encountered one being used, the trooper was hitting people from the rear as he came up behind them, usually in the leftmost lane.

MSP also has LIDAR via the LTI Ultralite and Prolaser III. A typical tactic for them is to park on the berm parallel to traffic, get out of the cruiser and open their trunk lid the whole way and kinda hide behind it while shooting traffic approaching them.

Sadly with you having 5 points, your best option is not to speed at all. In PA you can generally get away with 10 over, but MD doesn't seem to be as consistent in that regard. And moving violations DO get reported back to PA.
    Last edited by pgb2; 07-16-2008 at 07:51 PM.

Newcomer

So basically, what you're all saying is that I'm going to need a really nice radar detector to cruise comfortably in Maryland and preferably a laser jammer since it seems common in these parts?

I don't understand what "opposite direction moving mode" is?

And is the K-55 an X band or K band? I thought that it was pretty safe to turn off the X band?

By the way, no offense taken about Maryland. I plan on moving out of this silly state once i get my degree.

Also, thank you for all of the response. You're all a great help.

Good Citizen

I don't understand what "opposite direction moving mode" is?
    The RADAR unit will only register speeds from vehicles moving in the opposite direction of (approaching) the cruiser. This is the most common moving RADAR in use. Newer moving RADARs (like the Kustom Eagle) can also detect the speed of vehicles moving in the same direction as the cruiser.
    And is the K-55 an X band or K band?
    It was available in either band but X was the most common. IIRC, the one I saw in Hunt Valley was K.

Looking at the wide variety of scenarios you might encounter in MD, get the best detector you can afford. Check other areas of this forum for specific recommendations.

Old Timer

with your laser threat id recommend a v1 although no RD can save u 1 on 1 vs a laser