Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Radar Fanatic

Default Re: TX - Unmarked cars are they legal for traffic stops

Quote Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
    Yes, emergency lights are enough. In fact a uniformed officer inside is enough. They can pull you over in their private car. The point is they can't pursue you if you take off on them.
    In their private car NO. Not a legal vehicle.
    Off duty is just that off duty.
    My nephew is a cop and this is what he tells me.

Yoda of Radar

They can pull you over in a POV. They just cannot charge you with fleeing if you don't stop. That's the distinction.

Mostly, it is a matter of local policy, and not law. Just because the law allows them to pull you over in their POV with a Kojak light does not mean that their agency allows such behaviour. In fact, most would not allow it. More than a few overzealous rookies have been fired for being stupid off-duty.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

I watched an off-duty HPD in a mini-pick-up truck chase down an old guy in a jag going 100+mph down-I-10.

The old guy was not going to stop.

The Off duty HPD guy got infront of the jag and slammed on his brakes forcing the jag to skid to a stop on the interstate.

Smoke everywhere.

It was pretty fun to watch... perhaps there was more to the story than just speeding?

Speedtrap Crasher

Quote Originally Posted by betrezra View Post
    I watched an off-duty HPD in a mini-pick-up truck chase down an old guy in a jag going 100+mph down-I-10.

The old guy was not going to stop.

The Off duty HPD guy got infront of the jag and slammed on his brakes forcing the jag to skid to a stop on the interstate.

Smoke everywhere.

It was pretty fun to watch... perhaps there was more to the story than just speeding?
    yes I've seen that too. What off-duty cops are supposed to do and what they do do are many times two different things. I was chased down by an off-duty Harris Country Sheriff's deputy in his Camaro when I had my WRX. I thought he was racing me so I took him for a run but after he flashed his lights at me I slowed down and saw him waving his badge. I got a lecture but no ticket on that one. I got the vette soon after that to put an end to this kind of thing. I've been chased a couple of times by off duty cops but none with enough horses to keep up anymore. None of these chases were legal but a ton of fun.
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200