Newcomer

Default Ireland: Margain of error in speed detection

Always heard that due to restrictions in Europe speedos over here generally over tell your speed so you can generally do 10% over the speed limit without the fear of getting caught.

Had an old Citroen and this was true when I compared the speed on my GPS to my speedometer the GPS speed was way lower. However purchased a new car recently and now the speedo seems to be as accurate as my GPS so it got me thinking.

What kind of speed can you generally do over the PSL with an accurate speedometer (ture speed) in Ireland before getting pulled?

Edit: Sorry about the incorrect spelling in the title
    Last edited by SouthernBandit; 04-18-2010 at 06:23 PM.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Ireland: Margain of error in speed detection

It can depend on the cop from what I have read on some forums. I also have a few friends on the force and one told me they do not pull you over unless you are 16KMH/10MPH over but some people have claimed to have been pulled over for 55KMH in a 50 and another LEO on a forum here stated that he only does people over after 20KMH+ PSL.

I have found that my speedo is over telling my actual speed also by comparison to GPS but only after the 80-90KMH area.

Newcomer

Default Re: Ireland: Margain of error in speed detection

Quote Originally Posted by corkguykev View Post
    It can depend on the cop from what I have read on some forums. I also have a few friends on the force and one told me they do not pull you over unless you are 16KMH/10MPH over but some people have claimed to have been pulled over for 55KMH in a 50 and another LEO on a forum here stated that he only does people over after 20KMH+ PSL.

I have found that my speedo is over telling my actual speed also by comparison to GPS but only after the 80-90KMH area.
    Know a beangarda and she claims she'll only pull a car if it's 20km/h above in a 100km/h zone but I'd say that's rare.