Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Manufacturer

Default NJ bill to ban smoking while operating a vehicle.

Outlawing the eating of Big Macs, while driving - a far greater challenge - can't be far behind. :wink:

Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Radar Fanatic

you can get fined for a eating anything while driving ....

the first time i heard of this was a few years ago a bloke was eating a kit kat on the motorway and the cops did him even though he said he never touched it his wife did it for him!

its just another ''stealth tax''.

Yoda of Radar

I understand banning cellphone use when driving. I have used a cellphone on a few occasions when behind the wheel, and whomever I was taking too tells me later that they couldn't figure out what I was saying and I can see the obvious concentration shift from the task at hand to the phone. I don't even have a cellphone of my own

But smoking? I think that is perhaps a little excessive. It is rather funny to note the vast governmental focus on smoking of the modern day. First, can't smoke on airplanes, makes sense. Then you can't smoke in shopping malls, makes sense. Then not in taxis either. Then you can't smoke in restauants and bars, hmmm :? :? but now not in YOUR car either? The hell...

Then the tax hikes every few months, right now it's cheaper for me to go downtown and buy a kilo of blow than a carton of Marlboros at the depanneur...

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    I understand banning cellphone use when driving. I have used a cellphone on a few occasions when behind the wheel, and whomever I was taking too tells me later that they couldn't figure out what I was saying and I can see the obvious concentration shift from the task at hand to the phone. I don't even have a cellphone of my own

But smoking? I think that is perhaps a little excessive. It is rather funny to note the vast governmental focus on smoking of the modern day. First, can't smoke on airplanes, makes sense. Then you can't smoke in shopping malls, makes sense. Then not in taxis either. Then you can't smoke in restauants and bars, hmmm :? :? but now not in YOUR car either? The hell...

Then the tax hikes every few months, right now it's cheaper for me to go downtown and buy a kilo of blow than a carton of Marlboros at the depanneur...
    So much for the "at least I can still smoke in my car" bumper stickers.

Radar Fanatic

Maybe the justification is to keep people from tossing butts out their window? That drives me insane, because whenever I'm caught in traffic there is usually some kind of smoldering tobacco sitting under or right in front of my car so that the god-awful smell enters the cabin.

Yoda of Radar

I hate that stuff. It's worse when your following someone and this smouldering piece of crap comes flying out of a Civic and into your paintwork...

Manufacturer

Currently in the Garden State a pack of smokes will set ya back $8.50.

I had read an interesting joke today that read something like this:

In Iraq they're trying to come up with a constitution. Why not give 'em ours.
    It was developed by a bunch of smart people, has worked for over 200 years, and we are no longer using it...

VG 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Lead Foot

If the rationale is "both hands on wheel", then:
    1. Only automatic Xmissions in NJ
    2. Cup-holders banned for sale, cars fail inspection with cup-holders as they demonstrate blatant intent to break the law. An ashtray OTOH may function as a coin-holder, so it's okay. A cigar lighter functions to power a radar-detector, which is an acceptable device.
    3. No make-up or shaving on Rt. 78, I occassionally see drivers reading the paper on their way to work on this road.

Let's see how this one evolves....

WRT cigarette prices, prolly $8.50 near NYC, but in the rest of the state:
    A pack of Winstons is $5.27 in NJ at many gas stations.
    In comparison, IIRC:
    Oregon ~$3.40
    P.R. duty-free: $1.90
    Newark Airport duty-free: $2.60

Newcomer

[Maybe the justification is to keep people from tossing butts out their window? That drives me insane, because whenever I'm caught in traffic there is usually some kind of smoldering tobacco sitting under or right in front of my car so that the god-awful smell enters the cabin.
    ]

How about the old drop-a-lit-butt-in-the-lap routine? I bet most of the smokers out there are familiar with it. I've done it back in my smoking days...[/quote]

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    I hate that stuff. It's worse when your following someone and this smouldering piece of crap comes flying out of a Civic and into your paintwork...
    I hate that.... should be able to get compensation from their insurance to cover damage to the interior when it comes in from the sun roof.