Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Default AOL News- Use a Rabbit to Avoid a Ticket! =)

I was surprised when I read this!

10 Ways to Avoid a Cop Giving You a Speeding Ticket

Its actually pretty good...

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: AOL News- Use a Rabbit to Avoid a Ticket! =)

That actually was a good article, most of its common sense for us. But for the average Joe that is a good read.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by rocky2 View Post
    That actually was a good article, most of its common sense for us. But for the average Joe that is a good read.
    Yea, exactly what I was thinking when I was skimming the titles of each section.

Good Citizen

in to read later, gotta drop the kids off for school

Power User

Try to stay in the middle of the pack. If you're the lead car, logic says you'll be the first car to run past any cop's radar trap up ahead and get a speeding ticket. And if you're the last car, you'll be the one the police officer rolls up behind. That means the safest place is in the middle -- just like a gazelle fleeing a hungry lion by seeking safety in the middle of the herd.
    The irony is, by driving in close proximity to a clusterf*ck of cars, you rob yourself of a space cushion around your vehicle and your overall safety decreases.

Avoid the fast lane. Use the far left lane to pass when necessary, but try to stay in the middle lanes when possible. Reason? If a cop is lurking in a cutout along the median strip (or coming at you from the opposite direction on a divided highway) the speeder in the far left lane is the one most likely to become the target. Drivers who get nailed with speeding tickets are often the type who rack it up to 10 or 15 over the limit and remain in the far left lane.
    There's no such thing as the "fast" lane. The correct name for it is the passing lane. While it's great if LEOs target speeders who camp out n the passing lane, it would be even better if LEOs would ticket Left Lane Blockers - the assholes that drive slowly in the passing lane and block faster traffic. That would reduce congestion and cut down on speeding, as some people speed up temporarily in order to escape from behind LLBs.

If possible, drive a nondescript vehicle. It may not be fair, but it's human nature to notice things that stand out from the crowd. Bright-colored cars, those with loud exhaust or other pimped-out enhancements are the cars more likely to draw a cop's initial attention than ordinary-looking, family-type cars. Since the cop has to single out one car, which car do you suppose is the likely candidate for a speeding ticket? The bright yellow Mustang GT with 20-inch chrome rims? Or the silver Taurus?

If you do get pulled over while driving a fancy, high-profile car, your odds of getting a speeding ticket versus a warning have probably gone up. If you're driving a fast-looking hot rod, the cop is going to assume you use it and deserve a ticket more than the guy in a family-looking ride whose plea that he "didn't realize he was speeding, officer" comes off as more believable.
    Probably the best advice in the whole article.

Good Citizen

when reading about the 2nd to the last tip, i was expecting the v1 to pop up somewhere

Experienced

[quote=swarga;621364]

If possible, drive a nondescript vehicle. It may not be fair, but it's human nature to notice things that stand out from the crowd. Bright-colored cars, those with loud exhaust or other pimped-out enhancements are the cars more likely to draw a cop's initial attention than ordinary-looking, family-type cars. Since the cop has to single out one car, which car do you suppose is the likely candidate for a speeding ticket? The bright yellow Mustang GT with 20-inch chrome rims? Or the silver Taurus?

If you do get pulled over while driving a fancy, high-profile car, your odds of getting a speeding ticket versus a warning have probably gone up. If you're driving a fast-looking hot rod, the cop is going to assume you use it and deserve a ticket more than the guy in a family-looking ride whose plea that he "didn't realize he was speeding, officer" comes off as more believable.
    Probably the best advice in the whole article.
    ..........yea not happening here.... now the windows are 10% tint too.....

snoopyc4

I agree with everything AOL posted except the last suggestion. I would still buy a RD even if they are illegal in your area.

Speed Demon

read some of the comments

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Quote Originally Posted by lidper24 View Post
    read some of the comments
    I can predict exactly what they say before even reading them.

Now I go entertain myself...

Edit - it didn't take long to find a gem.

"auggiedawgee 1:29 PM Oct 07, 2009 Report This! Again.... would just like to point a few things out to Eric Peters, the "genius" behind this article that offers REALLY BAD and not very well thought out advice. Here are a FEW of the garbage points that really stuck out to me... 1. The "chief offense" is NOT, in fact, "getting noticed in the first place". I would say that would be the actual act of SPEEDING, itself. DUH! 2. You state, "The cop has to pick one car; if you go with the flow of traffic, it probably won't be you." Hello? Are you so stupid that you don't even realize how many people the "information" you are offering reaches and that one of us might actually BE the one the cop picks??? DUH! 3. Another piece of ill advice you offer, &********** for cutouts and modulate your speed accordingly." Yeah, great idea! Because, the best thing to do when driving at high rates of speed is distract yourself from watching the road and other cars by watching for cops in the median? If you're not speeding, you don't have to watch for cops, you are more relaxed for not having to do so and can concentrate on keeping you, your passengers and other drivers around you safe. DUH! 4. The advice you give in the paragraph you titled, " If it's OK legally, get a radar detector." is absolutely hilarious. Here's another idea. Save your money all around, don't speed. Then you don't have to spend your money on a radar detector OR speeding tickets. DUH! 5. And finally, "If possible, drive a nondescript vehicle." Are you suggesting people get rid of their current vehicle and buy a new one in order to get away with breaking the law easier?? Seriously? Who has money to buy a new car and radar detector so that they can speed and possibly be ticketed for speeding anyway, thus spending more money? Are you retarded, Eric? Where's your paragraph that gives the advice of not taking the chance of costing yourself money and possibly your safety and the safety of others by not speeding to begin with? DUH! Shame on you! FAIL! BTW, I speed all the time. I just thought your advice was really, REALLY stupid. (ed - oooook then...)
    "

"DUUUUH!"
    Last edited by supercowpowers; 10-08-2009 at 07:20 AM.