Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

Default Bill would limit radar detectors

Saturday, April 16, 2005 - Bangor Daily News

AUGUSTA - As a coach, state Sen. Dennis Damon has met far too many young people who have mixed risky behavior and feelings of youthful invincibility with frequently tragic results. More often than not, excessive speed by inexperienced drivers is part of that deadly equation.

"There have been people from Mount Desert Island who have died," said the Trenton Democrat. "There was one who was particularly close to my heart, and it was simply, quite frankly, a case of thrill seeking and inexperience."

Today's high-tech teen generation is learning how to get around the rules of the road before they've even received their permanent driver's license, Damon said. He introduced LD 1129 on Thursday in an effort to remove one perceived layer of armor contributing to a teenage driver's sense of invulnerability: automobile radar detectors.

"Why should they have these things?" he told members of the Legislature's Transportation Committee. "They're designed to detect radar beams, and radar beams are designed to detect speeders. If they thought they didn't have that shield and face the potential of a court appearance, it might encourage them to drive as they should."

Damon said that in 2003, 63 drivers in Maine between ages 16 and 24 were involved in fatal crashes, and several involved radar detectors. Observing that Washington, D.C., and Virginia already have made possession of a radar detector by a motor vehicle operator illegal, Damon said his bill would simply address drivers 18 or younger with intermediate operator's licenses.

Sarah Wilson of Southwest Harbor told the committee she is a mother of two and has worked as a licensed emergency medical technician who was alerted to the fact that one of her teenage son's friends was using a radar detector. She said she was shocked to learn there was nothing illegal about it.

"From my experience in emergency medicine, I've seen things that probably a lot of people have not seen," she said. "A lot of people have felt the pain of losing a child in an auto accident, but not many have seen the graphic details when those deaths happen. I've spoken with a friend who lost a son in an automobile accident, and she told me we should do anything we can do to keep kids safe until they're mature enough to make better decisions. This bill would help us get kids to that point and not be encouraged to speed with these dangerous electronic devices."

Robert O'Connell, the director of driver's license services at the state Department of Motor Vehicles, took no position on the bill, and said Secretary of State Matt Dunlap would be willing to work with the committee on the bill. He suggested the panel also might want to pair its proposed radar detector restriction with the use of a cell phone by the holder of an intermediate driver's license, a restriction already discussed by the panel in separate legislation.

There were no opponents to the bill, which will be reviewed further on April 26.

http://www.bangornews.com/news/templates/?a=112202&z=5
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Founder of Stealthvation

If they limit detectors to 19 and older I really do not see a problem with this. Having a jammer and a detector takes a responsible operator. Some of these young punks are crazy
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Radar Fanatic

Yeah, this really doesn't bother me muchl. Kids do stupid things no matter what. Many, if not most, probably don't understand the limitations of a radar detector, anyway, thinking that they can go as fast as they want with no repercussions.

My only fear is that this could become a "slippery slope" on which Maine eventually bans all detector posession after they use statistics to "prove" that teens became safer because of the bill. You know they're going to say it whether it's true or not

Radar Fanatic

One more place where the government doesn't need to be. I'm 17, i've been using a radar detector since shortly after getting my license. My parents know that I use an RD and don't mind because they know i'm a careful while driving and don't speed where it's unsafe. Several of my friends use detectors, they are good drivers, and their parents don't mind either. The decision should be left up to the parents, as they will know their children's driving skill level a whole lot better than the government does.

"Damon said that in 2003, 63 drivers in Maine between ages 16 and 24 were involved in fatal crashes, and several involved radar detectors."

Numbers please. Just more meaningless made-up statistics. What's the proportion of RD users involved in crashes veurses the proportion of RD users in total? They don't use numbers because they don't have numbers. If they had numbers, i've a feeling we would all see that this is a non-issue.

Assuming that all young drivers are irresponsible drivers shows an ignorant mind, a mind that this forum can do without.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by compu44
    One more place where the government doesn't need to be. I'm 17, i've been using a radar detector since shortly after getting my license. My parents know that I use an RD and don't mind because they know i'm a careful while driving and don't speed where it's unsafe. Several of my friends use detectors, they are good drivers, and their parents don't mind either. The decision should be left up to the parents, as they will know their children's driving skill level a whole lot better than the government does.

"Damon said that in 2003, 63 drivers in Maine between ages 16 and 24 were involved in fatal crashes, and several involved radar detectors."

Numbers please. Just more meaningless made-up statistics. What's the proportion of RD users involved in crashes veurses the proportion of RD users in total? They don't use numbers because they don't have numbers. If they had numbers, i've a feeling we would all see that this is a non-issue.

Assuming that all young drivers are irresponsible drivers shows an ignorant mind, a mind that this forum can do without.
    Could be that I worded my statement too bluntly. If so, I apologize. I don't mean to imply that every single teenager drives like a maniac, and I fully believe you that you and your friends are responsible if you say so. However, high school was not that long ago for me and there were some serious problems with kids thinking they were invincible. For example, one of the kids two classes below me rolled his pristine Mustang Mach III trying to show off. He was lucky. Another kid I knew was not. Driving at ridiculous speeds on a back road he came up on a T intersection that he didn't expect. He hit a tree going at least 60 and left the scene in a body bag. All I'm saying is the SOME kids need to be protected from themselves. Should the parents be the ones to do it? Absolutely, and I believe that most do. But in some cases they don't. And in those cases this law could very well do some good.

Yoda of Radar

Yeah well radar or not you got crazy people no matter. I'm rather young myself, and drove very fast when the conditions were amenable to that. But I never did 110km/h weaving in and out in a rusted out econobox/minivan on a suburban boulevard like some people I knew. Sure I did 200km/h when I was on the open road and I feel that my "high speed exploits" actually improved my driving skill. After getting high-speed experience you look further ahead, react earlier and not as sudden, all in all you become a better driver, or at least for me. However the side effect is that I almost fall asleep when driving below 80mi/h but what can you do?

Power User

"A lot of people have felt the pain of losing a child in an auto accident, but not many have seen the graphic details when those deaths happen. I've spoken with a friend who lost a son in an automobile accident, and she told me we should do anything we can do to keep kids safe until they're mature enough to make better decisions. This bill would help us get kids to that point and not be encouraged to speed with these dangerous electronic devices."

The last part is my favorite. This law is stupid they could only enforce it if they pull a young person over for something else first and then see the radar detector. What are they gonna do pull young people they see with a detector and check their DL to see if they are old enough?

Yoda of Radar

I don't see how a device, that offers extra information to the driver can be dangerous by any means? Most cars don't even have oil pressure gauges, I don't think we are getting into over-information yet here people!

Advanced Member

If i didn't have a radar detector chances are that i would keep going faster than 75, I haven't sped since i got my detector i remember a time where i took my old car up to 120 only vechicle on the road and 3am boy i was stupid

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Old Timer

you know 50% of all statistics are made up. 78% of which are true... :wink: