Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Can you get a ticket for signaling other drivers?

Wow, got shot 4 different times this morning! I was coming to the peak of a hill this morning and picked up Ka so I slowed and two LEO’s sitting before the peak of the hill, well as soon as I went over the peak I started signaling, well then I noticed another LOE on the other side but he wasn’t running radar. I’m sure he saw me signaling, just wondering if I could get a ticket for that?

RadarBusters Associate

Default Re: Can you get a ticket for signaling other drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by 02Lightning View Post
    Wow, got shot 4 different times this morning! I was coming to the peak of a hill this morning and picked up Ka so I slowed and two LEO’s sitting before the peak of the hill, well as soon as I went over the peak I started signaling, well then I noticed another LOE on the other side but he wasn’t running radar. I’m sure he saw me signaling, just wondering if I could get a ticket for that?
    I've always wondered about this, how would you go about signaling to other drivers that there is a LEO around the curve or over the hill?

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

They can write you a ticket for whatever they want, the question is if it will hold up in court.

There have been cases of people being ticketed with "interfering with the duties of a police officer" or something similar, and of some getting tickets for technical infractions like failure to dim high beams.
    Last edited by supercowpowers; 04-09-2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: s/you/they

Newcomer

I have been pulled over for signalling other drivers (in New Mexico, about 14-15 years ago).
    I was brighting a long line of cars and one was a LEO. He immediately put his lights on, flipped a U-turn, and pulled me over. He alternated between asking if my lights were malfunctioning (which I continually answered "no" to) and then asking why I was flashing drivers (which I continually answered "i don't know" to) a few times.
    He then gave me the riot act about how he could get me for obstruction when they're working the highway like that and take me to jail on the spot. He ended up just giving me a seatbelt ticket.

Power User

News flash: Tipoffs to speed traps are legal - Court says blinking headlights okay
    Robert Schwaneberg and Michaelangelo Conte
    31 July 1999
    The Star-Ledger Newark, NJ

It happens every day on New Jersey's highways: Someone drives past a patrol car lurking in the bushes and flashes his headlights to warn oncoming drivers to slow down.

To many it is a natural, neighborly gesture they would expect in return; to others, an underhanded way of subverting the efforts of police. But whatever the ethics of alerting other motorists to speed traps, it is not against the law, a state appeals court has ruled.

Under New Jersey's motor vehicle laws, drivers face a $43 fine for improperly using their headlights, whether by having them aimed so high they blind other motorists or refusing to dim high beams at night for oncoming traffic. But that law "was never intended to prohibit a motorist from warning oncoming motorists that a speed trap lies ahead," a state appeals court ruled this week.

The two judges who heard the case concluded "that a motorist may not be convicted of misusing her headlights to warn oncoming motorists of radar."

<snipping out pro and con comments from several police officers>

The ruling resulted from the case of Susan Luptak of Jackson Township, who passed a patrol car in Monroe Township and flashed her headlights at an oncoming driver. Little did she know he was another policeman in an unmarked car on his way to relieve his colleague running the speed trap.

Even though it was 1:55 in the afternoon and Luptak's flashing of her lights created no hazard, she was convicted in municipal court of misusing them, according to her lawyer, Mario Apuzzo. But Luptak continued to fight the ticket, and when her case reached the appeals court, the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office agreed she should never have been stopped and urged the court to throw out the case against her.

``We use our high beams all the time to tell people things," said Assistant Middlesex County Prosecutor Simon Louis Rosenbach. "We use them to tell people they have their high beams on and you want them off. We use them to tell people it's okay to cut in.

``They're used for some kind of speech all the time, and you'd never stop someone to give them a ticket for that," Rosenbach reasoned.

[QUOTE=GreenRadar;702327
    I've always wondered about this, how would you go about signaling to other drivers that there is a LEO around the curve or over the hill?[/QUOTE]

That’s pretty specific but I used my headlights.

Radar Fanatic

I always signal once I pass a cop running a speed trap ... usually for a good mile. I've never been pulled over for it, but I've heard of people who have. I'm not too worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by supercowpowers View Post
    They can write you a ticket for whatever you want, the question is if it will hold up in court.
    That is the truth.

Newcomer

On a local car forum another member rec'd a ticket for flashing his lights to warn other drivers, he got a ticket for stunting, he was able to go to court and fight and drop the ticket.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by 02Lightning View Post
    I’m sure he saw me signaling, just wondering if I could get a ticket for that?
    Laws are different in every state, and you FAIL to give us the slightest clue where you might be. But yeah, you can be ticketed for anything or nothing.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob