Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Default Re: Wooo! TPAS on the way!

Definitely a cool device to have in a car.

I have a very simple defense against aerial enforcement... most of my commute runs under class C airspace.

Radar Fanatic

one thing is not clear to me. I don't think that sends out any radar right? It only listens to Transponders ? What if a plane simply had 1200 set.. the default TP code in which ATC has not given them a specific code. Or further more what if their transponder is off totally? It wont catch it I believe.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Event Horizon View Post
    one thing is not clear to me. I don't think that sends out any radar right? It only listens to Transponders ? What if a plane simply had 1200 set.. the default TP code in which ATC has not given them a specific code. Or further more what if their transponder is off totally? It wont catch it I believe.
    Correct, it only listens to the transponder frequency and doesn't know or care what the code is. It does not detect a plane with the transponder off, but it is very rare that they are off. Use of the transponder is strongly encouraged for safety reasons.

Also, they do go off all the time around airports, and from any air traffic. The thing to keep in mind is that you only care about an alert when you see the lines. The rest of the time doesn't matter.

Here in FL I don't have any true saves yet, though I did recently spot an FHP helicopter because of the TPAS. This CM is not one that saves you every day, but the day it does save you will be memorable.

There is a lot to be said for seeing the lines and not having to guess about whether or not it's safe to put the hammer down.

Congrats to SteadySpeedin on the nice addition!

Radar Fanatic

right, to get a save from the tpas would be unbelievable. I got aerial vascared 6 years ago and I haven't seen it since here in SWFL. But then again I don't do too much driving. I guess I was extremely unlucky.

Newcomer

Hope you like the TAPS RX-110. I have been playing with mine for a couple of months and it works as advertised. What I also picked up on the bay was a newer unit. It is a Sure Check Traffic Scope VRX. It is touted as a 3rd Generation unit and I would not say it is a Airplane V-1, but it is close. (No Arrows to tell you were to look.) It has a Ground operation mode that allows you to set a window above you for altitude and distance. So It will indicate traffic in area but only alert when traffic is below 3500' and within 1.5miles. (My settings) I have been using it in local area and a couple of trips to Chicago. The Ohio LEO in the sky is used only in good weather and with the lines visible due to no snow. So I have not encountered a real test of this unit yet. But when it has alerted, there is always been a plane or copter within the window. The cost of this unit was in the price range of a Cobra detector. This unit is not in production and has been replaced by a newer unit that costs about $500. I seem to remember a post that some one bought the newer unit called PCAS MRX, but never read any other info on how that one worked. I will be putting my RX-110 on the bay soon if you are looking for one.

So if you live or travel in one of the states with Airborne LEO's, the VRX would be a great addition to you countermeasures.
    VRX.jpg

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman59 View Post
    Hope you like the TAPS RX-110. I have been playing with mine for a couple of months and it works as advertised. What I also picked up on the bay was a newer unit. It is a Sure Check Traffic Scope VRX. It is touted as a 3rd Generation unit and I would not say it is a Airplane V-1, but it is close. (No Arrows to tell you were to look.) It has a Ground operation mode that allows you to set a window above you for altitude and distance. So It will indicate traffic in area but only alert when traffic is below 3500' and within 1.5miles. (My settings) I have been using it in local area and a couple of trips to Chicago. The Ohio LEO in the sky is used only in good weather and with the lines visible due to no snow. So I have not encountered a real test of this unit yet. But when it has alerted, there is always been a plane or copter within the window. The cost of this unit was in the price range of a Cobra detector. This unit is not in production and has been replaced by a newer unit that costs about $500. I seem to remember a post that some one bought the newer unit called PCAS MRX, but never read any other info on how that one worked. I will be putting my RX-110 on the bay soon if you are looking for one.

So if you live or travel in one of the states with Airborne LEO's, the VRX would be a great addition to you countermeasures.
    VRX.jpg
    Is 3,500 ft the typical altitude for VASCAR planes?

Newcomer

That is just a guess as to what altitude they might use. I think they would be at less than 1000' and within 1/2 mile of you to ID your car as well as talk to the ground units. In California the CHP units would be about 500' up and the timing lines were much more visible there than the ones used here in North West Ohio. There are some lines on Hy 75 just North of Toledo, south on the Michigan border between Mp209 and Mp210. I went looking for them and found them, but I had to look hard to actually see them. One of my co-workers lives right by this area and is going to call me the next time he sees and hears the OSP running this trap. I will head over and see what kinds of readings I get.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman59 View Post
    That is just a guess as to what altitude they might use. I think they would be at less than 1000' and within 1/2 mile of you to ID your car as well as talk to the ground units. In California the CHP units would be about 500' up and the timing lines were much more visible there than the ones used here in North West Ohio. There are some lines on Hy 75 just North of Toledo, south on the Michigan border between Mp209 and Mp210. I went looking for them and found them, but I had to look hard to actually see them. One of my co-workers lives right by this area and is going to call me the next time he sees and hears the OSP running this trap. I will head over and see what kinds of readings I get.
    Oh, well, better to be safe than sorry . Take some video if you find an active trap. I would love to see it.

Radar Fanatic

That's a cool device, I think since in Gwinnett County, GA since they took the cops radar/laser guns away the county is threatening to use the helicopter to catch speeders. Do Helicopters use a transponder also ?

Professional

I have seen FHP use transponers in theirs, so I think mostly yes. However, I have also come across one helcopter (that wasn't police) that didn't seem to have one that was on.

I suspect this is kind of like the situation with planes. Pilots are encouraged to turn them on for safety, but some aircraft may not even have them. From what I can see, the percentage that do not is small.