Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default Re: Redflex GoSafe AGD340 radar reception and range

So the STI-r works better externally?

Back next week mate and I'll be testing the V1 remote kit hopefully once I get my wheels back on the road.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by eire05 View Post
    So the STI-r works better externally?

Back next week mate and I'll be testing the V1 remote kit hopefully once I get my wheels back on the road.
    The STi-R Plus was mounted externally on the last video I posted 2 weeks ago as well but it didnt detect that van anywhere nearly as far away that time so I dont know . The V1 was mounted normally (horizontal) on both runs. I forgot to try it vertical for one run to see how it would do but I cant see it making enough of a difference to make up for how well the Bel did today though, that was exceptional .

I just hope it does that all the time but the next one could be a stinker for all I know. These things are very unpredictable.

Good Citizen

Impressive range...
    I also came across one today. Nothing stellar but the range was good.
    Run toward the front of a van (~120-150 m signal probably didn't bounce unlike the last time ) :

Run toward the back (short range because the van was hidden behind the hill)

The quality is not great - my cybershot broke so I have to use my mobile phone or camcorder which I didn't have this time

Radar Fanatic

Not too bad at all ^ .

I am still wondering how the STi-R Plus detected that van at such a long range but the van was parked on a section of road that was much higher than where I was on approach which could have helped it a bit. I really hope that was not the reason though but I will have to wait and see and do more tests before I break out the champagne on this one lol .

I came across a van today and had time to do a pass with the V1 vertically mounted. By the time I got a chance to do a second run the van was gone.

Radar Fanatic

Good video. I see that you went with the V1 so . Keep using it vertically like that because mine was mounted normally in all but 1 of the following videos and it was pretty bad TBH .

First video...

Second one at another location...

Did another run with the V1 vertical which did help it...

These 2 were from earlier tonight here and not good news. Neither the V1 (mounted normally) nor the STi-R Plus detected this van for some reason. I am hoping that the radar unit was not running for some reason ...

I went back after about 40 mins to see if I got any different results but nope . Watch the light on the flash unit do a little double flash as I go by...

I certainly hope that the radar was not running at the time or this could be bad news .

Good Citizen

Didn't see any flash on your last video Kev, just reflections. BTW I saw redflex van parked up on a hill in Blanchardstown the way it can be seen miles away. My Redline was quiet and there is no way that van could been set up and operate normally from that hill but everyone was slowing down, probably that what they were looking for.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by forgewire View Post
    Didn't see any flash on your last video Kev, just reflections. BTW I saw redflex van parked up on a hill in Blanchardstown the way it can be seen miles away. My Redline was quiet and there is no way that van could been set up and operate normally from that hill but everyone was slowing down, probably that what they were looking for.
    It does look like reflections on the video alright but it was definitely light from the unit itself. If you were there, you would have been able to see it much clearer. The light looked to be amber in colour and was coming through what almost looked like a mesh of several squares on the unit itself if I saw it correctly.

I have seen this happen several times in the past but I made sure to look clearly at it as it happened tonight on that last run. Just a pity my dashcam video quality isn't that great .

That flash looks like the red strobe flashing. I dont think these were on the vans when they can out first, but they now have a small low profile red strobe on the back right.

T

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by tonytony View Post
    That flash looks like the red strobe flashing. I dont think these were on the vans when they can out first, but they now have a small low profile red strobe on the back right.

T

I saw the red strobe also (and you are correct, it is a new thing on them) but the light I saw was definitely coming from the flash unit. I have seen it many times before and whatever it is for, it will go off for every car that passes by, even those that are not speeding when it is working. Other times, I do not see it working at all .

For whatever reason last night, I had both my RDs fail to detect that van and I suspect/hope that it was because the radar was not turned on. Of course, I was not willing to leave it at that so I took another run up there tonight in the hope of finding it again and lo and behold, there was a van up there....

Unfortunately, it was not the same one. I thought it was at the time but if you compare the videos, its obvious there's a difference . By the time I had turned around and came back again, it was gone.

A range of over 700 metres was still not to be sniffed at though but I do hope I find that other one again soon just to be sure.