Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Band

Newcomer

Default Best Band

im not sure if anyone answered my last post the way i wanted but ill ask again. is there a band that is easiest to use or longest range. like i said the cop was swiching from k to ka and back and forth.

Good Citizen

K- band is easier to pick up than ka band. Ka is a higher freq and narrower.

Old Timer

Default k band

X2 to the k band. X band is even easier to pick up than k band.

Newcomer

ok so k is easier to pick up...now wouldn't that benefit me? does k have longer range?

Advanced Member

If you get hit with Instant On doesnt matter if its K or Ka... you'll be toast

Its highly unlikely the cop was switching back and forth you were picking up to different sources or your RD was "confused" because of range or relfection

Newcomer

well the range was close like maybe 50-60 feet. and no reflection unless maybe the license plates of other cars. i dont know if that would be a big enough reflection.

Radar Fanatic

Some dash mount radars, like the Stalker Dual SL, can use either a K or Ka band antenna. So it is possible to have a front antenna on Ka band and a rear antenna on K band.

The Decatur Genesis II Select also has that feature.

GTO_04

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by bigshow
    ok so k is easier to pick up...now wouldn't that benefit me? does k have longer range?
    My K seemed to get better range than my Ka.

I think most PDs that have a few cars like that are because they are left over antennas. If one needs to be replaced, they just put on an old K band. That's how it is around here. I don't think they do it on purpose.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by maxima lover
    Quote Originally Posted by bigshow
    My K seemed to get better range than my Ka.

I think most PDs that have a few cars like that are because they are left over antennas. If one needs to be replaced, they just put on an old K band. That's how it is around here. I don't think they do it on purpose.
    I agree. The Decatur Genesis Handheld Directional K band radar could clock cars at a longer distance than the Stalker Dual, and the Stalker Dual is no slouch!

GTO_04

Lead Foot

Hello,

For range, digital units do better then the older analog ones. The Stalker ATR (Ka) in stationary mode is about 'if you see them, you can get a reading'. On my local test road, the older Kustom HR-8 K or MPH K-55 marine (extra long horn) units couldn't get a speed. The ATR doesn't have problem getting one.

Anyone seen the new Kustom Falcon HR units in person yet? Stationary and moving, directional etc.

Take care,

Spinner