Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Professional

Default Re: 10 reasons to get a Whistler Pro 78 rev.C over a Bel 940

Quote Originally Posted by

11. Perfect ramp-up and ramp-down!
    I don't know Whistler, but I did not care for the new "extreme" ramp up of the m4 Vector. The s7's was far more linear IMO.

Rose1, did you get "self cal" and "service required" on every Bel you own within 1 year?? Mine have been very dependable thus far. My 940 went in due to power problems, but it was 3 years old. My 995 has been rock solid, although it's only 8 month's old.

Speed Demon

the 78 is indeed a fine unit with possibly the best CS in the business. BUT - i found it lacking on K band which is about 99.9% of all radar around my area. the off axis detection of K was terrible. the features and ideas behind the unit were without a doubt above and beyond anything you can buy for the price. but ultimately it is a "radar detector" and it was lacking in several areas. more refinement may be needed. the vectors i had outperformed it on x and k and that alone explains the difference in quietness of the two units. if you turn down the sensitivity of the vectors to the whistler level im sure they would be far more quiet. they are certainly on the right track.

Professional

The only reason people think Belscorts have a common issue with Self Cal messages is because no one comes on this forum and specifically posts "Hey, my _______ Belscort detector is working flawlessly! Thanks and have a great day." They come on here and post when they have a problem with it. I'd bet less than 5% of the detectors they've made get an error message. If it was higher than that, they'd have to take a hard look at thier quality control and most likely no one would be buying thier products.

Founder of Stealthvation

Pro 78 would be my top choice if I was not a HARD CORE enthusiast who is willing to spend top $$$ to own the best. With that being said if Mike B. and team can boost K band performance a few DB's I would be THRILLED. I would also choose a Pro 78 over the vector series any day since his CS is TOP NOTCH and the Pro 78 is right there on about 90 % of REAL WORLD encounters
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by BullyDawg19
    the 78 is indeed a fine unit with possibly the best CS in the business. BUT - i found it lacking on K band which is about 99.9% of all radar around my area. the off axis detection of K was terrible. the features and ideas behind the unit were without a doubt above and beyond anything you can buy for the price. but ultimately it is a "radar detector" and it was lacking in several areas. more refinement may be needed. the vectors i had outperformed it on x and k and that alone explains the difference in quietness of the two units. if you turn down the sensitivity of the vectors to the whistler level im sure they would be far more quiet. they are certainly on the right track.
    I'm going to do some more testing with all 4 of my vectors and my pro78 on k and X band. I'll see if there's a difference.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Retaliation
    The only reason people think Belscorts have a common issue with Self Cal messages is because no one comes on this forum and specifically posts "Hey, my _______ Belscort detector is working flawlessly! Thanks and have a great day." They come on here and post when they have a problem with it. I'd bet less than 5% of the detectors they've made get an error message. If it was higher than that, they'd have to take a hard look at thier quality control and most likely no one would be buying thier products.
    X2.

And Self Cal is not a bad thing. That’s like complaining that you cars GPS is telling where you’re going, or you have a fuel light that goes off when your gas is low.
    At least its communicating with you, and it affects performance in a positive way. I would much rather it have a Self Cal feature to keep it at its peak performance than not do anything at all.
    I would also prefer a RD tell me Service Required rather than finding out the hard way.

rose1
    I don’t think we are disagreeing with you completely, its just the way its coming across. Sounds like your trying to discredit most (if not all) Bel products and promote whistler.
    Like what Retaliation said: "no one comes on this forum and specifically posts "Hey, my _______ Belscort detector is working flawlessly!" (except for me :wink: )

Lead Foot

Well, it's not my intent to discredit bel products but for a $500 detector (STi driver) I think bel should include a 3 year warranty. Same goes for the 9500i

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by CJR238
    And Self Cal is not a bad thing. That’s like complaining that you cars GPS is telling where you’re going, or you have a fuel light that goes off when your gas is low.
    At least its communicating with you, and it affects performance in a positive way. I would much rather it have a Self Cal feature to keep it at its peak performance than not do anything at all.
    I would also prefer a RD tell me Service Required rather than finding out the hard way.

rose1
    I don’t think we are disagreeing with you completely, its just the way its coming across. Sounds like your trying to discredit most (if not all) Bel products and promote whistler.
    Like what Retaliation said: "no one comes on this forum and specifically posts "Hey, my _______ Belscort detector is working flawlessly!" (except for me :wink: )
    Self cal is not a bad thing? I get that message every 10 minutes with my vector 965

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rose1

Self cal is not a bad thing? I get that message every 10 minutes with my vector 965
    I guess that would be annoying... :wink:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rose1
    Well, it's not my intent to discredit bel products but for a $500 detector (STi driver) I think bel should include a 3 year warranty. Same goes for the 9500i
    Actually in my industry and many others some of the most reliable and highest quality items have the smallest warrantees and the cheep stuff has longer ones.

Quote from the great Chris Farley:

Why would someone put a guarantee
    on a box?

A guy puts a fancy guarantee on the box 'cause
    he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.

But why do they put a
    guarantee on the box then?

'Cause they know all they sold
    you was a guaranteed piece of ****.

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box
    and mark it "guaranteed", i will.
    I got spare time.

:wink: