Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yoda of Radar

Default Question About Something I Saw on "Speeders"

OK, so Officer Mike Miller of the Brick Township Police Department is sitting there perpindicular to route 88 and running his Stalker DSR radar. Well, he nails this kid doing 50 in a 35. How is he checking traffic speed perpindicular to the road? Would they mount the antenna sideways? It doesn't look like it swivels:

Radar Fanatic

No idea. I've always been under the impression that perpendicular doesn't work.

Radar Fanatic

I think it depends on how the individual department mounts them. The New York State Police turn their stalker antennas off axis all the time. The local cops, Vestal NY, also do the same thing with their eagles. These guys are not perependicular to the road, more like 40 degrees. That being said, I also would think the A frame or windshield frame, would interfere with the units performance. My .02

Power User

In one of LEO's training video, they can take the antenna out of the dash mount and hold the antenna with one hand resting on the door with window down pointed at in coming traffic when parked perpendicular.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Azonehits View Post
    In one of LEO's training video, they can take the antenna out of the dash mount and hold the antenna with one hand resting on the door with window down pointed at in coming traffic when parked perpendicular.
    The only thing this guy had in his hand was the remote control.

Professional

I noticed that too, and thought it may have been creative editing. You saw him sitting sideways (on video) but the clocking might have happened at another time.

Radar Fanatic

That would be my wonderful town of Brick! Yahoo!

Professional

Depending on the mount being used, it can be very easy to turn the antenna to the side. Most of them will allow at least some side to side movement. Or as mentioned, the antenna can be removed from the mount and set on the dash, window sill, etc.

I've seen a couple of cops reach over and move the antenna in their patrol cars to monitor traffic like that on occasion.

Experienced

I was watching a Vandalia LEO running radar at a school zone. He would have his car sitting perpendicular but his radar gun was swiveled sideways so it was parallel to the traffic. That explains how the highway patrol is able to sit sideways and yet run radar...Dirty trick

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by edweird View Post
    I noticed that too, and thought it may have been creative editing. You saw him sitting sideways (on video) but the clocking might have happened at another time.
    Highly possible. The stalker's have the shortest and stiffest antenna cables I've ever seen and used compared to kustom, MPH and decatur. Taking it off it's antenna mount requires something to hold it in the right direction.