Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Power User

Default Cop brags about huge lidar ticket!

I found a cop on a car forum bragging about using a Marksman LTI lidar gun to nail a 2009 Corvette ZR1 with a Passport 8500 and no laser jammer. It happened on Sunday, 9/21/08, on the Ocean Parkway heading down to Captree State Park. He nailed him going 150 mph @ 2048.2 feet. If only this guy had a Laser Interceptor laser jammer installed, things would have been very different.

Here is the picture he took as proof of his traffic stop:

A little information about the Ocean Parkway:

Ocean Parkway (Long Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The Ocean Parkway is a 15.59-mile (25.09 km) long state parkway that traverses the length of barrier beaches immediately south of Long Island, New York. The Ocean Parkway begins at the southern terminus of the Meadowbrook State Parkway, intersects the south end of the Wantagh State Parkway, and ends just past the southern terminus of the Robert Moses Causeway. The parkway services a number of parks, including Jones Beach State Park and Captree State Park. It is designated New York State Reference Route 909D, an unsigned reference route.
    Last edited by <<JAZZY>>; 10-02-2008 at 01:29 AM.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Cop brags about huge lidar ticket!

That's a shame...The guy deserved it though if he was unprotected and didn't have another car driving point.

Old Timer

I'm assuming the Vette had a front plate, cuz I see no other way of getting a reading on a Vette with a Marksman at that distance, and the driver not having some time to slow down.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by ELVATO View Post
    I'm assuming the Vette had a front plate, cuz I see no other way of getting a reading on a Vette with a Marksman at that distance, and the driver not having some time to slow down.
    Maybe he was slowing down

Quote Originally Posted by ELVATO View Post
    Yes Sir! Front plates in NY!

Cliff - C55

Yoda of Radar

Yeah, Front plates are mandatory in NY.

I would dare say at that distance any jammer (from the ZR4 'upwards') would have been more then sufficient to jam until he had time to slow in the Vette.

Just goes to show, people can have all the money in the world, but that doesn't mean they have any common sense... a radar detector can't save that. (Though a jammer could have here.)

I kind of feel bad for the guy (except at those speeds, your asking for trouble, and danger). Also I am astonished he stopped for the LEO.
    Last edited by AirMoore; 10-02-2008 at 05:24 AM.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore View Post
    Yeah, Front plates are mandatory in NY.

I would dare say at that distance any jammer (from the ZR4 'upwards') would have been more then sufficient to jam until he had time to slow in the Vette.

Just goes to show, people can have all the money in the world, but that doesn't mean they have any common sense... a radar detector can't save that. (Though a jammer could have here.)

I kind of feel bad for the guy (except at those speeds, your asking for trouble, and danger). Also I am astonished he stopped for the LEO.

Personally I would have pushed it harder, I bet he could have gotten away. I remember watching speeders and a cop pulled over a Ferrari. The cop said, "if he decided to run, we would not catch him".

Lead Foot

I've always told myself that if I was going over 100mph, and I thought that there would be a possiblity that I would get away, I'd run. I'm thinking that the teg would probably be able to top out around 170 or so, and get there pretty fast, I'd be atleast a few hundred yards away before the cop starts to really pull out. Don't know though. I'd be scared sh1tless.

You cannot beat the radio... nor helicopters... usually!

Cliff - C55

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by C55 View Post
    You cannot beat the radio... nor helicopters... usually!

Cliff - C55
    True, but If I could get outta sight in like 15 seconds or so and get to an exit, I think I might be ok.