Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yoda of Radar

Default Re: How do LEO's pick up the detector you're using?

The STi performed admirably at the last GOL RD testing event.

Guys of LIDAR - Radar Detector Test - August 2007

Almost Banned

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80 View Post
    I'd say that the 9500i and STi are neck and neck, slightly behind the V1. Spectre immunity is huge in areas that RDs are illegal, like the east side of Canada and parts of Europe. Before the STi, those people had zero useable options. That's why it costs what it does.
    Would you agree that its a trade off between the V1 and 9500i (if you don't need a detector that is undetectable) ?

Trade off being, max performance with max falses verse slightly less performance and slightly less falses?

Experienced

I'd say that the 9500i and STi are neck and neck, slightly behind the V1. Spectre immunity is huge in areas that RDs are illegal, like the east side of Canada and parts of Europe. Before the STi, those people had zero useable options. That's why it costs what it does.
    Yeah, I'm new this stuff but I have already learned there is no low-jack option these days'. I'm preparing to purchase the Li DUAL as my initial investment, followed by the ci and/or the c100. In fact, just got off the phone with Cliff (Li) this morning. Dang, there goes my decressionary spending for awhile.
    Regards,
    ~DD

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by RadarKid View Post
    Would you agree that its a trade off between the V1 and 9500i (if you don't need a detector that is undetectable) ?

Trade off being, max performance with max falses verse slightly less performance and slightly less falses?
    A slight performance trade-off from the V1, but not much. None, IMO from the 9500i. The only trade off from the 9500i is the false alert reduction from Truelock and the GPS based auto mode, but I know you don't use Truelock and I'm pretty sure you dont use auto mode, so for you, there would be no trade off from the 9500i to the STi.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dude View Post
    Yeah, I'm new this stuff but I have already learned there is no low-jack option these days'. I'm preparing to purchase the Li DUAL as my initial investment, followed by the ci and/or the c100. In fact, just got off the phone with Cliff (Li) this morning. Dang, there goes my decressionary spending for awhile.
    Regards,
    ~DD
    With the LI/9500ci combo, if you don't drive like a complete idiot, you're basically immune from tickets other than the very selective I/O trap, which is pretty rare. Other than that, your risks are from pacing and VASCAR, which are less rare but are not electronically combatible.

Almost Banned

I was comparing just 9500i to V1 when I said the trade off of sensitivity verses falses.

Yoda of Radar

I was comparing just 9500i to V1 when I said the trade off of sensitivity verses falses.
    Missed that, sorry. In that case, I'd include the V1's arrows, bogey counter vs the 9500i's spec display and expert meter as being the biggest factors that you'd be trading off, other than the what you've already mentioned.

Almost Banned

Missed that, sorry. In that case, I'd include the V1's arrows, bogey counter vs the 9500i's spec display and expert meter as being the biggest factors that you'd be trading off, other than the what you've already mentioned.
    Expert meter pretty much is null and void with a bogie counter though right?

So you're left with a trade off of sensitivity and falses, verse arrows and spec mode.
    Last edited by RadarKid; 11-25-2008 at 01:09 PM.

Yoda of Radar

Expert meter pretty much is null and void with a bogie counter though right?
    Kind of. The V1's display only shows the signal strength of the strongest contact, while the expert meter shows the signal strength of all of it's displayed contacts.

So you're left with a trade off of sensitivity and falses, verse arrows and spec mode.
    Pretty much. I think the automute is huge, but I know you hate it. The V1 can control the muted volume manually. I find that pretty useful. There are lots of little things and it's tough to tell what's important to each person. When you use the V1, you might come up with something you miss about the 9500i that I would not have missed at all.

Almost Banned

hah. yea. like the blue display and auto brightness.
    I think I still use AutoMute, but I don't notice a difference so it doesnt do anything for me. I've long since shut off voice alerts as well. I know what tone is what band, so its just annoying after a while.

I'll miss the blue display and false filtering most (thats my guess anyway).
    Last edited by RadarKid; 11-25-2008 at 01:16 PM.