Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Austin, Texas

Default Austin, Texas

Who here's from Austin. Coming from Memphis, Tenn.

1. Decent neighborhoods and apartment complexes? On the hunt for a place.

2. What kind of radars are used around the area?

3. Places to eat, things to do?

4. Any recommendations for modifying my Valentine for this trip?

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Austin, Texas

Officer Fritter is from Austin, TX.

Is that a member here?

Radar Fanatic

yep he's a member here, his username on the forum is "Fritter"

Thank you! Found it. Anyone else?

Speedtrap Crasher

Yes.

Congrats on moving to one of Texas great cities. I love the city and the country up there as well. Also, you should run the lap from Marble Falls, to Enchanted Rock down to Fredricksburg. DPS patrols the area regularly but it's a great drive. One of the best in the state.

Lots of Ka and Laser and enforcement is fairly strict. 10 over PSL will get you a pullover unless your in the middle of nowhere. The patrol cars are currently converting from blue/gold/white over to black and whites. Crown Vics mostly but a few Chargers now.

Also, unmarked silver Crown Vic is at work in the area. Shoots Ka 33.800. Moto units are prevelant as well.
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Street Lawyer

I'm from Temple, halfway city between Austin-Dallas

Newcomer

Here are a couple of things.

County Line BBQ is a must when we are in Austin. I hear that Saltlick BBQ is great as well, but I haven't been there. The Oasis has decks overlooking Lake Travis. Mexican food there is OK, but the view is great.

Nothing beats watching the sunset from Mt. Bonnell. It is simply gorgeous. Other sights: Fredericksburg is a short trip away and a nice day trip (there are a few wineries there now), San Antonio is just 2 hours away and the river walk is pretty neat, if you like brewery tours the Shiner brewery is not too far and offers tours, Brenham is not too far either and you can go on a tour of the Blue Bell Creamery (ice cream). If you take a trip to Marble Falls, make sure you are there in the morning so that you can have breakfast at the Bluebonnet Cafe near the lake.

I live in the northern part of Texas and always enjoy going down to the Texas Hill Country. It is the neatest and prettiest part of Texas.

Professional

There are way too many Texas members on here.

I went to Austin last week by myself to visit a friend and it was 3 hours and 20 minutes from where I live going 89 mph on toll road and rest of it 75 mph rest of the way.

Austin is a fabulous city! I went to downtown 3 times in 2 days since my friend lives only 10 minutes from downtown and hardly any traffic on Mopac and S. Congress. Since my friend knows that I'm obsessed with freeways, I went from South Mopac to North Mopac on Friday Night going 85 mph (). In the 3 day period, I never saw one Cop setting up speed trap in Austin which is really nice but my friend said that it's pretty rare that we hardly saw one on Mopac and he has a V1 so he knows what he is talking about. I also saw Westlake which is the wealthiest part of Austin and many of the homes there are multi-million dollars sitting on hillsides. It was a great drive through there. Globalwireless07, if you want a decent apartment, they're pretty much everywhere and stay away from East Austin! That area is crappy and ghetto with high crime. I would look into Southwest Austin because they got some really nice Apartments with decent prices.

Globalwireless07,I would turn off X band in Austin. There are some Laser involved especially on Mopac and also K & Ka are used here. Be careful driving on I-35, that is probably the heaviest patrol area in Greater Austin area (Including Round Rock) and the traffic there is awful.

Good Citizen

and if you want to have a nice scenic drive along with a little thrill, take that road in between the oasis and lake travis and drive it all the way down till you see the dead end sign. If you like hiking, look up enchanted rock which is sort of on the outskirts of austin. There are 3 malls, highland closer to downtown, lakeline, near 183 and 620, and barton creek if you take loop 1/ mopac all the way down.

Be careful in williamson county, our cops are known to be hard on people...
    Go karting near the airport (if you like that stuff), 6th st for bars and nightlife, texas capital if you're interested, alamo in san antonio, aquatic museum in Dallas, Nasa in Houston, six flags in san antonio, 1 in dallas and I think 1 in houston. If 6 flags isn't your thing and you like waterparks, schlitterbahn is well known.

Just about if you want to go for a drive 3 hrs in just about any direction there's lots to do, but in austin, not as much. Overall good area though.