Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default new user intro and a new way to detect radars?

hello everybody,

this is my first post on this forum, and boy am i glad i discovered this site. i have a V1 and been using it for about a year or two. i recently upgraded the car and have some questions about the install i will post later.

meanwhile i just wanted to introduce myself, say "hi" and throwout a crazy idea (nothing like getting a "crazy" first impression)....

so i was driving the other day thinking... when all the cops switch over to lasers, we will all be in trouble and start thinking about new ways of detecting radars. but shouldn't there be something in the police car which would also transmit a signal? for example:

1) it could be a police radio. i am sure they all operate on only dedicated frequency

2) it could be some sort of a "lojack" beacon - if the officer is injured or the car is stolen

3) it could be their computer. i am sure the police computer uses a very specific radio frequency.

i am sure there are other stuff... why not make a dedector which would actually look for those?

anyways, its probably crazy. mostly wanted to post, say hi and say i am glad i found other V1 users to talk to

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: new user intro and a new way to detect radars?

Quote Originally Posted by yan_750i
    hello everybody,

this is my first post on this forum, and boy am i glad i discovered this site. i have a V1 and been using it for about a year or two. i recently upgraded the car and have some questions about the install i will post later.

meanwhile i just wanted to introduce myself, say "hi" and throwout a crazy idea (nothing like getting a "crazy" first impression)....

so i was driving the other day thinking... when all the cops switch over to lasers, we will all be in trouble and start thinking about new ways of detecting radars. but shouldn't there be something in the police car which would also transmit a signal? for example:

1) it could be a police radio. i am sure they all operate on only dedicated frequency

2) it could be some sort of a "lojack" beacon - if the officer is injured or the car is stolen

3) it could be their computer. i am sure the police computer uses a very specific radio frequency.

i am sure there are other stuff... why not make a dedector which would actually look for those?

anyways, its probably crazy. mostly wanted to post, say hi and say i am glad i found other V1 users to talk to
    Not bad ideas. Actually there used to be a radar detector that could detect the mobile radio repeaters used by some highway patrols. It would alert when such a repeater (thus a cop) was nearby.

Newcomer

i just realized something. the first time a product which can detect a police car in the area hits the market, it would be banned right away. just imagine bank robbers or other type of "bad guys" using it. but it was a good though

i miss driving @ 155mph on autobahn

Radar Fanatic

hello everybody,

Police radios don't transmit all of the time. Some scanners have a "close call" feature that notify you of nearby radio transmissions, but I am not sure how useful the range is on it. I have one such scanner and will have to try it.

Scanners are illegal in cars in some states. Usually if you have a amateur radio license you can have them though.

GTO_04

Advanced Member

it will only be detected when officer is using the radio and there is something like that already

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Yoda of Radar

You can still go for a laser jammer...

and also deprogram that damn 155mi/h limiter

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    it will only be detected when officer is using the radio and there is something like that already
    you mean, there is a radar which already does it? which one? or are you talking about a scanner like uniden trunktracker, etc. i cant drive with a scanner tuned in to CHP waves - i'd go crazy from not having music in the car.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    You can still go for a laser jammer...
    laser jammers are illegal in CA.
    would CHP know you have a jammer when they try and clock you? do they have right to search your car for one?

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    and also deprogram that *BEEP* 155mi/h limiter
    and what, move to germany? just so i can drive fast? you know - the thought has crossed my mind ... :-) i sure do miss this:

http://photos.jkb.org/v/ed/car_italy/IMG_0451.jpg.html

btw, why did this post got moved? since i plan to spend all of my time in V1 subforum, i figured this was a right place to say "hi" - no?

Advanced Member

you mean, there is a radar which already does it? which one? or are you talking about a scanner like uniden trunktracker, etc. i cant drive with a scanner tuned in to CHP waves - i'd go crazy from not having music in the car.
    The Uniden BCT-7, BCT-8, BCT-10, BCT-12 and the Radioshack Pro-2051 all have what is called a "Highway Patrol Alert" feature that detects the mobile extenders used in some state police vehicles. They will also alert to simplex frequencies such as tac, aircraft to car, car to car, etc. The BCT-10 and BCT-12 are radar detector sized, and they haven't been made since the late 90's. The BCT-8 and Pro-2051 are current models, but unfortunately they are the size of a regular base scanner. Theese scanners are pre-programmed with frequencies for the Highway Patrol Alert, so although the older BCT-10 and BCT-12 might still work in some states, others have changes radio systems since they were made making them obsolete in those states.

In fact, I believe the idea behind these might have actually started out in California. There used to be a unit sold called a "CHiPS Detector" that worked like the scanners mentioned do.

The nice thing about these is that you don't have to listen to any transmissions at all, they'll just beep when any activity is detected meaning that there might be a cop within about 3 miles or so. These work VERY well in some states, in fact people who have never tried them would really be amazed at just how well they work. But in other states, they don't work well at all.

If you know what you are doing, you can do essentially the same thing with other scanners if you program in the frequencies and configure them yourself. But it can be a LOT of work, and unless you are already a scanner enthusiast or want to become one, the scanners with the "Highway Patrol Alert" might be a better option.

You'll find a lot more info on this in the "Other Countermeasures" section.

Jim

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    The Uniden BCT-7, BCT-8, BCT-10, BCT-12 and the Radioshack Pro-2051 all have what is called a "Highway Patrol Alert" feature that detects the mobile extenders used in some state police vehicles. They will also alert to simplex frequencies such as tac, aircraft to car, car to car, etc. The BCT-10 and BCT-12 are radar detector sized, and they haven't been made since the late 90's. The BCT-8 and Pro-2051 are current models, but unfortunately they are the size of a regular base scanner. Theese scanners are pre-programmed with frequencies for the Highway Patrol Alert, so although the older BCT-10 and BCT-12 might still work in some states, others have changes radio systems since they were made making them obsolete in those states.

In fact, I believe the idea behind these might have actually started out in California. There used to be a unit sold called a "CHiPS Detector" that worked like the scanners mentioned do.

The nice thing about these is that you don't have to listen to any transmissions at all, they'll just beep when any activity is detected meaning that there might be a cop within about 3 miles or so. These work VERY well in some states, in fact people who have never tried them would really be amazed at just how well they work. But in other states, they don't work well at all.

If you know what you are doing, you can do essentially the same thing with other scanners if you program in the frequencies and configure them yourself. But it can be a LOT of work, and unless you are already a scanner enthusiast or want to become one, the scanners with the "Highway Patrol Alert" might be a better option.

You'll find a lot more info on this in the "Other Countermeasures" section.

Jim
    My guess is that this feature won't work with trunked 800 MHz systems, correct? And that is what most state and local systems are today. Most but not all.

GTO_04