Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default thinking about adding either a cb or a scanner?

Ok i am thinking about adding either a scanner and cb to fit in with my V1. But dont really know much about the two maybe you would help/ I live in IL mostly burb driving and some highways. Which one would you guys perfer CB or Scanner

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: thinking about adding either a cb or a scanner?

Unless you intend to become seriously interested in the entire hobby of scanning, I cannot recommend them to most people. There is a big learning curve, and even an experienced listener may go a lifetime without ever hearing anything on there that would save them from a ticket. They just don't work that way. Cops don't announce where they are running radar on the radio. Not because it's a secret, but just because the dispatcher doesn't keep track of that stuff. And if you are not thoroughly familiar with the codes and lingo, you wouldn't know it even if they did announce it. So basically, if you're using a scanner as a tool to avoid tickets, almost 100 percent of everything you hear there is like another false alert, in RD terms. Zero point in spending five hundred bucks on something like that, unless you just really are getting interested in listening to the cops for the fun of it.

CB is more valuable than an RD. There is no debate about it. A scanner would be the very last item to even be considered on any list of countermeasures.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Good Citizen

well yea it would be fun to listen to cops, but what it the differecne between a scanner and cb. i was actually going to get it to avoid tickets, and you are right i dont know any of the lingos or codes

Yoda of Radar

Lots of differences. Main difference being that you are going to have to constantly be choosing the correct channels to listen do as you drive with a scanner. With a CB, there's only one channel to listen to. With a scanner, you're going to hear everything in the entire county or several counties. With a CB, you are only going to hear traffic very close to you. With a scanner, you are never going to hear anything applicable to you, so eventually you're going to just turn it off and put it on eBay at a loss. With a CB, you're going to get a save on almost every trip you make. There's really just no comparison.

And yes, I know some other scanner freak is going to come here and talk about setting your scanner up with GPS to change channels for you automatically, but that takes a LOT of time and system specific knowledge to do. It's not for a beginning scannist. And yes, you can find the codes, but are you really going to stop, turn on your interior lights, and look up every code number you hear from the constantly squawking scanner as you drive? Of course not. And again, the bottom line is, there simply isn't anything there to hear that will do you any good. Total waste of money UNLESS you intend to immerse yourself into the hobby of scanning hardcore.

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Good Citizen

so this all mean a cb is much better, ok got it, and what would be a good cheap cb to purchase, and these codes how can i find them.

Professional

you can find them on a scanner forum but I say go with a peaked and tuned cb with a good lil will or wilson 1000 magnet mount antenna because police are starting to go digital encrypted which means there is know way to listen to. go check out http://www.gumball144.com this is alex roys site and has a great set up in his m5 which shows how stealth your install can be if ytou got a sedan
    Last edited by trailtow; 09-12-2008 at 10:25 PM.

Yoda of Radar

Oh yeah, I forgot about you being in Floridia. I don't know about up north, where you are, but the FHP and most of central and south Floridia is indeed going unscannable. Even so, the entire state still outlaws scanners.

If all you are doing is looking for something for monitoring for cop reports on the highway, it is definitely not necessary to buy anything expensive. You don't need half the knobs and switches on most CBs for highway use. I'd just go for something small from a reputable manufacturer like Uniden, Cobra, or Midland. Even something as simple and cheap as this would do fine, so long as you use a good antenna. Performance is 90 percent antenna, not radio. But if you have more room in the car, and want more features (like weather radio monitor, noise blankers, PA amplifier, etc...), you can get awesome radios in the hundred dollar range.

Unfortunately, there really isn't anything stealthy or remotely attractive when it comes to CB antennas. If you want to hear more than half a mile, you're going to have to bite the bullet and stick a big, ugly antenna on your car. The least big and ugly of them is the much talked about Lil Wil, from Wilson Antenna.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    If all you are doing is looking for something for monitoring for cop reports on the highway, it is definitely not necessary to buy anything expensive. You don't need half the knobs and switches on most CBs for highway use. I'd just go for something small from a reputable manufacturer like Uniden, Cobra, or Midland. Even something as simple and cheap as this would do fine, so long as you use a good antenna. Performance is 90 percent antenna, not radio. But if you have more room in the car, and want more features (like weather radio monitor, noise blankers, PA amplifier, etc...), you can get awesome radios in the hundred dollar range.

Unfortunately, there really isn't anything stealthy or remotely attractive when it comes to CB antennas. If you want to hear more than half a mile, you're going to have to bite the bullet and stick a big, ugly antenna on your car. The least big and ugly of them is the much talked about Lil Wil, from Wilson Antenna.

X2, This is all very good info, a CB is exponentially more effective as a countermeasure then a scanner, and I would say undoubtedly more effective then an RD on interstate trips.

I would recommend a Uniden Pro510XL as a CB. Though the Cobra will do nearly identical when it comes to performance.

All in all, you could have an effective CB rig for under $100, and it will be exponentially more effective then your V1 on I/O or laser. On Interstate travel, its the best countermeasure there is.

Radar Fanatic

I'm just looking for a portable scanner that I can use in the car (not as a countermeasure) and in the house. I have an old portable cb that lately I've been plugging into the cig lighter when my son and I are playing in the car (never too young to start 'em). I saw on the Uniden site that some of them have weather warnings in addition to police, fire etc. Anyone have any suggestions for a relatively inexpensive portable (handheld) scanner that gets the weather too?

Yoda of Radar

Handhelds are great for kids! And they're great for short distance talking around the back forty, or out camping, etc... But man, you simply cannot talk to anybody else with those things, even if you can hear them loud and clear. The distance is just way too limited.