Radar Fanatic

Default Engine Noise through CB

Whenever I accelerate hard I hear the engine through my CB speaker. It can be very annoying. Does anyone know how to get rid of it?

Thanks

Default Re: Engine Noise through CB

Use a choke or a filter or a CAP on your power side going into your CB radio.

Yoda of Radar

If it sounds like the engine, as opposed to a high-pitched whining sound, then you are hearing ignition noise. All that high voltage electrical current firing your spark plugs is leaking into your radio system. There are several steps you can take to address this.

First and foremost, your radio should have a dedicated power circuit. That means no powering it off a cigarette lighter, fuse box, or a tap into some other accessory power wire. Run HEAVY GAUGE wire directly to the battery for both power and ground. And twist those two wires together as they run from the battery to the radio. Those two simple steps will go a long way towards eliminating your problem.

Another step is to buy a commercial ignition noise filter from any CB shop or truck stop.

Better quality coax to your antenna (like RG-8 or RG-8X) can help. So can a better quality antenna. Grounding your antenna well can make all the difference. Antennae drilled driectly into sheet metal or metal frame are going to be a lot quieter than a magnetic or clip-on mount.

More drastic and expensive solutions include replacing your ignition wires with higher quality, thicker, high shielding wires, as well as simply buying a better quality CB. Better CBs have better shielding.

In older cars, it can sometimes take all of the above measures to get the job done. But in newer cars, just the first two steps is usually more than enough. Good luck!

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    If it sounds like the engine, as opposed to a high-pitched whining sound, then you are hearing ignition noise. All that high voltage electrical current firing your spark plugs is leaking into your radio system. There are several steps you can take to address this.

First and foremost, your radio should have a dedicated power circuit. That means no powering it off a cigarette lighter, fuse box, or a tap into some other accessory power wire. Run HEAVY GAUGE wire directly to the battery for both power and ground. And twist those two wires together as they run from the battery to the radio. Those two simple steps will go a long way towards eliminating your problem.

Another step is to buy a commercial ignition noise filter from any CB shop or truck stop.

Better quality coax to your antenna (like RG-8 or RG-8X) can help. So can a better quality antenna. Grounding your antenna well can make all the difference. Antennae drilled driectly into sheet metal or metal frame are going to be a lot quieter than a magnetic or clip-on mount.

More drastic and expensive solutions include replacing your ignition wires with higher quality, thicker, high shielding wires, as well as simply buying a better quality CB. Better CBs have better shielding.

In older cars, it can sometimes take all of the above measures to get the job done. But in newer cars, just the first two steps is usually more than enough. Good luck!
    I should most likely run a real power "mecca" and ground mecca as you suggested, from the battery. It would probably make all of my appliances run better. I am just too lazy now though so I think i'll just sit on this problem, it's not that bad. I might try the choke though. Could you give me a specific product to try? Maybe a radio shack or easy internet order?

thanks

Radar Fanatic

You can buy a 6 way splitter for less than 10 bucks. I have a 12 gauge hot wire from the battery to a fused splitter under the dash. Easy to install and easy to add on to, plus everything has its own fuse. I hate splicing everything to the fuse block.
    It is much easier especially if you want to put switches on everything.

Professional

A lot of times, it is through the antenna, not the power. If you have an extra 12v battery of some sort, try using that to power the CB and see what happenes.

At least for me, I still get a very small engine static even if I'm running my (handheld) CB on its own batteries.

Also, try relocating the antenna a little. I would assume you have already adjusted the antenna length for optimum SWR. In the unlikely case that you haven't, it would be the most important thing you can do.

Street Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by ahmadr View Post
    A lot of times, it is through the antenna, not the power. If you have an extra 12v battery of some sort, try using that to power the CB and see what happenes.

At least for me, I still get a very small engine static even if I'm running my (handheld) CB on its own batteries.

Also, try relocating the antenna a little. I would assume you have already adjusted the antenna length for optimum SWR. In the unlikely case that you haven't, it would be the most important thing you can do.
    X2, I'm tapping off another power source cus I'm lazy, but I've noticed going under power lines, or at intersections, wherever there's metal, the antenna picks up the hum of the electricity, as soon as I pass under the noise goes away.

Radar Fanatic

Well the antenna is not in an optimal place it is in the back of my SUV and most of it is hidden by the car itself, at least to the road ahead. That said I have slanted it slightly so the top portion get a view of the road ahead. It had bad reception, but I just had some major mods done to my radio by Sparky's Cb Shack and now it has great performance. I am pretty sure that it is though he electrical system since it is a consistent response from throttle to the engine. Is there a choke of some sort that I can put on the power line to it. There is not way I'm running anymore crap through my firewall. I am just way too busy now.