Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Good Citizen

Default Re: Help setting up a antenna for digital scanner. Im lost here guys

Have you heard anything about this antenna here

Ferret 8 Band Base Antenna i wonder how it would perform? This their any sites that have reviews on antenna's from the users?

Yoda of Radar

That's the antenna I currently run at my house. Excellent performance on lo-band and hi-band VHF. Good performance on 800. Blows dead goats on UHF.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Good Citizen

So you dont think this would be a very good antenna for digital 865mhz ?

Yoda of Radar

Not if you don't get it above the trees. It has no gain.

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Yoda of Radar

The 9 inch, 4.5db gain antenna on the trunk of my car, parked next to the house, gets 800 much better than the Ferret up on the roof of the house.

Professional

darn, thats the antenna I was looking at. my local PD is in the 800 mhz block, along with the next city over. I can pick up both of them with the stock antenna though, so it might still work for me. My primary listening is in the 400's and 800's.

Good Citizen

what does it mean when the antenna has gain or they put 6db. Is it the more gain the better the singal will be pull in ?

Yoda of Radar

Yeah, it's a complicated concept, but gain is a measurement of the ability of an antenna to concentrate a signal, effectively multiplying it's strength. More is better. Not all antennae have it. In fact, most scanner antennae do not. That's why I generally go with professional antennae whenever practical.