Thread: CB skip

Advanced Member

Default CB skip

Ok, so I noticed this on my last 2 passes through Nevada from Utah. The territory is unobstructed open desert, with few towns.

On my way back to Utah via I-80 yesterday, I passed through Wells, Nevada. Starting around Elko, and continuing for the next 150 miles, if I turned off my squelch, I could hear a faint to moderate signal from some women speaking Spanish. She had a pinger on her mic. It was annoying. She would say a few words in short bursts, then release the mic. At first I thought it was some local near Wells, however the same person could be heard for the next 150 miles.

It's not like she was driving, as I am overtaking all vehicles in my path full time. The signal remained at the same level. If I spoke Spanish I would be able to tell you what she said - but not.

What's really weird is I heard this same person about 3 weeks ago while westbound, same area.

Very strange.

2010 Honda Civic Sedan
    Cobra 19 DX IV CB
    Wilson Lil Wil
    Uniden BCT15X Scanner
    Garmin Nuvi 1300
    Saves: More than I can count

Default Re: CB skip

Quote Originally Posted by OpenRoad View Post
    Ok, so I noticed this on my last 2 passes through Nevada from Utah. The territory is unobstructed open desert, with few towns.

On my way back to Utah via I-80 yesterday, I passed through Wells, Nevada. Starting around Elko, and continuing for the next 150 miles, if I turned off my squelch, I could hear a faint to moderate signal from some women speaking Spanish. She had a pinger on her mic. It was annoying. She would say a few words in short bursts, then release the mic. At first I thought it was some local near Wells, however the same person could be heard for the next 150 miles.

It's not like she was driving, as I am overtaking all vehicles in my path full time. The signal remained at the same level. If I spoke Spanish I would be able to tell you what she said - but not.

What's really weird is I heard this same person about 3 weeks ago while westbound, same area.

Very strange.
    The Sunspot cycle is now on it's way up, so some long range F skip has been heard on more active days. I hear spanish stations on channel 9 on my scanner in the car. Hams have also been active to South America on 28 MHz. It will become much stronger in the next two years, and then you will have trouble talking a mile on a CB because of all the noise.

I also heard skip yesterday on 33 MHz on my scanner, but that was short range E skip...which is common in the late spring and early summer, and not related to sunspots.

Skip can be fun on a clear frequency, but not so fun on ch. 19.

Banned

Last week I was picking up someone in Florida (I'm in the Atlanta area) and also someone about 150 miles north of me (actually it was a "truck stop girl"). Blew me away, with a Little Wil.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
    Last week I was picking up someone in Florida (I'm in the Atlanta area) and also someone about 150 miles north of me (actually it was a "truck stop girl"). Blew me away, with a Little Wil.
    150 miles on a little wil, that would also blow me away.

I was coming back from San Antonio, don't know how accurate this is, but there was some dude talking from Chicago, he kept saying "This is six pack from Chicago" don't know if he was speaking from Chicago or was from Chicago, I couldn't talk to him I could only listen.

Radar Fanatic
    On the Darknet (LEVEL 10 Telecommunicator) in Tucson, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by PHILBERT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenRoad View Post

Very strange.
    The Sunspot cycle is now on it's way up, so some long range F skip has been heard on more active days. I hear spanish stations on channel 9 on my scanner in the car. Hams have also been active to South America on 28 MHz. It will become much stronger in the next two years, and then you will have trouble talking a mile on a CB because of all the noise.

I also heard skip yesterday on 33 MHz on my scanner, but that was short range E skip...which is common in the late spring and early summer, and not related to sunspots.

Skip can be fun on a clear frequency, but not so fun on ch. 19.

I completely concur.

CH 19 is so quiet anymore that it becomes a trip when skip hits that channel and they start talking about interstates and mile markers you are no where near,

I have tried to no avail to get a Spanish speaker to to accommodate my DX attempts on 10m

Professional

During the evenings here I can pick up people in Mexico on almost every channel here in Louisiana and sometimes it gets annoying especially if they are running high power and every one of them seems to compete to have the most annoying roger beep out there.

Radar Fanatic
    On the Darknet (LEVEL 10 Telecommunicator) in Tucson, AZ

That is the truth. I heard this conversation between 2 people and they both had roger beeps at the beginning and ending of the transmission. I could have been hearing repeater tones but they were too fast in replying to one another.

When they would talk and answer fast at times all I could hear were beeps