Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Pontiac G8 LI Quad, V1 Install, and Veil

I've never installed a jammer before but think it came out okay considering it took me about 12 hours. The system is an LI quad with HP heads and elected to mount all four heads in the front. The V1 is your standard hardwire install with remote display. I added Veil to the plates, headlights, and sideview mirrors. The pictures are terrible but was difficult considering everything was black.

Here is a shot of the LI minis mounted in the upper grills. The size was perfect to accommodate an already restricted area with which to mount them. The nose of the front bumper is almost like an arrow (swept back) and it required alot of mock up mounting to ensure they're pointed straight ahead. I used the supplied smaller L-brackets and just added my own stainless steel hardware. I used stainless washers to level them horizontally and the heads can be bent (up and down) slighty to level them fore and aft. Before I completed the final mounting, I had a buddy shoot the grill mouldings flat black instead of keeping the factory chrome. Not only do they look great but also help to eliminate another reflective point on an already bright vehicle. I then used black touch up paint to blend the mounting hardware.

Here is a shot of the lower larger LI heads. These were a bit of a pain as everything down here is plastic and needed a strong yet resilient mount for the heads. I used stainless coarse thread screws which to my surprise worked out great. Again, I used washers to level them horizontally. Like the top heads, the mounts are easily bendable to help with that critical up and down level adjustment. Also in this photo, the front plate was airbrushed with Veil G4 and also has a laser shield which is also veiled front and rear. The flash makes it seem brighter but up close it just looks like the plate is a bit dirty.

Here is a closeup of the upper left hand head. Nylon locknuts to help keep the screws tight under vibration.

Closeup of the lower head. It's not crooked but had the camera at an angle.

Here is a sideview shot the the upper head. I wasn't sure how far to mount them past the hood and bumper but this is as far as it can go. I had to mount them at an extreme angle to have the heads pointing forward and so one side of the head had to sit smack against the grill while the other side was used for the adjustment.

Same problem as the upper grill but they stick out a bit more. The other issue was that my final mounting position placed the heads only about an inch behind the front license plate. I was a bit worried should someone back into the bumper the heads would be damaged.

I set these jackstands up in the front of the vehicle and tied a string to each side. I then measured from two known points on the vehicle to the string on each side so it would be perfectly parallel with the front bumper. I then used the string and a machinists rule to measure from both sides of the head (left and right) making it easy to have each head pointing perfectly straight ahead. Being that the front bumper is swept backward and the heads are now pointing straight, it looks as if the heads are crooked when in fact the opposite is true. Damn optical illusions.

Here is a shot of the LI power switch. Nothing special really. I went through the wiring diagram on the radio and found a radio mute wire that's tied into the factory Bluetooth controller and OnStar. I spliced the LI mute wire into the harness and when the jammer activates, it mutes the radio so warnings can be easily heard. Pretty cool.

Alot of people have done the remote V1 display so I'll just post one photo. I wired it to a keyed ignition source (like the LI) and mounted it with double sided tape in the center of the cluster. The V1 is just plain jane mounted on the visor.

Here is what happens when you use the supplied brush with the Veil and apply more than you think is necessary. Being this was my first application, more is better right? Well, after letting the plates dry, the clear coat sticker on the plate absorbed the Veil and became permanently stained this awesome purple color. I tried Nafta and other chemical concoctions but the plates were ruined. I had to order new plates and went the custom route. It was actually a good idea as I could order them online without having to go to the DMV and custom plates come with flat lettering unlike the standard issue plates with raised letters and numbers. This actually worked out well as the laser shield now sits flush against the plate and now minimizes the chances of receiving a concealed or obstructed plate ticket. In the above photos, you can see the new plates which were airbrushed.

Here I am prepping the front of the vehicle to airbrush the headlights and front emblem. This took about an hour and wanted to be sure I didn't get any excess overspray on the vehicles finish. The veiled the hell out of the Pontiac emblem as it's reflective chrome.

Here is a shot of the front headlight after airbrushing with the Veil. There is a slight haze but barely noticeable. I wasn't sure how much to apply but used my best judgement as I didn't want to have issues like I did with my first set of license plates that I ruined from overapplication.

Here is a shot of the left sideview mirror all taped and almost ready to airbrush.

Here is a photo of it after airbrushing with veil. There is a slight bluish hue but isn't really noticeable unless you're looking for it. Again, didn't want to go bananas with the airbrush.

I'm convinced the best way to apply the Veil is with an airbrush or professional automotive spray gun. It's easier to control and applies the product evenly and with uniformity unlike the foam brush.

I think I pretty much addressed the entire front end but I guess there is always room for improvement. I only have tested the system with a handheld diode transmitter to activate the LI heads. I can't wait to attend one of those laser meets and see what happens with real world equipment. Please leave some feedback on what you think or changes you would make.
    Last edited by R.J.; 09-29-2009 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Experienced

Default Pontiac G8 LI Quad, V1 Install, and Veil

I've never installed a jammer before but think it came out okay considering it took me about 12 hours. The system is an LI quad with HP heads and elected to mount all four heads in the front. The V1 is your standard hardwire install with remote display. I added Veil to the plates, headlights, and sideview mirrors. The pictures are terrible but was difficult considering everything was black.

Here is a shot of the LI minis mounted in the upper grills. The size was perfect to accommodate an already restricted area with which to mount them. The nose of the front bumper is almost like an arrow (swept back) and it required alot of mock up mounting to ensure they're pointed straight ahead. I used the supplied smaller L-brackets and just added my own stainless steel hardware. I used stainless washers to level them horizontally and the heads can be bent (up and down) slighty to level them fore and aft. Before I completed the final mounting, I had a buddy shoot the grill mouldings flat black instead of keeping the factory chrome. Not only do they look great but also help to eliminate another reflective point on an already bright vehicle. I then used black touch up paint to blend the mounting hardware.

Here is a shot of the lower larger LI heads. These were a bit of a pain as everything down here is plastic and needed a strong yet resilient mount for the heads. I used stainless coarse thread screws which to my surprise worked out great. Again, I used washers to level them horizontally. Like the top heads, the mounts are easily bendable to help with that critical up and down level adjustment. Also in this photo, the front plate was airbrushed with Veil G4 and also has a laser shield which is also veiled front and rear. The flash makes it seem brighter but up close it just looks like the plate is a bit dirty.

Here is a closeup of the upper left hand head. Nylon locknuts to help keep the screws tight under vibration.

Closeup of the lower head. It's not crooked but had the camera at an angle.

Here is a sideview shot the the upper head. I wasn't sure how far to mount them past the hood and bumper but this is as far as it can go. I had to mount them at an extreme angle to have the heads pointing forward and so one side of the head had to sit smack against the grill while the other side was used for the adjustment.

Same problem as the upper grill but they stick out a bit more. The other issue was that my final mounting position placed the heads only about an inch behind the front license plate. I was a bit worried should someone back into the bumper the heads would be damaged.

I set these jackstands up in the front of the vehicle and tied a string to each side. I then measured from two known points on the vehicle to the string on each side so it would be perfectly parallel with the front bumper. I then used the string and a machinists rule to measure from both sides of the head (left and right) making it easy to have each head pointing perfectly straight ahead. Being that the front bumper is swept backward and the heads are now pointing straight, it looks as if the heads are crooked when in fact the opposite is true. Damn optical illusions.

Here is a shot of the LI power switch. Nothing special really. I went through the wiring diagram on the radio and found a radio mute wire that's tied into the factory Bluetooth controller and OnStar. I spliced the LI mute wire into the harness and when the jammer activates, it mutes the radio so warnings can be easily heard. Pretty cool.

Alot of people have done the remote V1 display so I'll just post one photo. I wired it to a keyed ignition source (like the LI) and mounted it with double sided tape in the center of the cluster. The V1 is just plain jane mounted on the visor.

Here is what happens when you use the supplied brush with the Veil and apply more than you think is necessary. Being this was my first application, more is better right? Well, after letting the plates dry, the clear coat sticker on the plate absorbed the Veil and became permanently stained this awesome purple color. I tried Nafta and other chemical concoctions but the plates were ruined. I had to order new plates and went the custom route. It was actually a good idea as I could order them online without having to go to the DMV and custom plates come with flat lettering unlike the standard issue plates with raised letters and numbers. This actually worked out well as the laser shield now sits flush against the plate and now minimizes the chances of receiving a concealed or obstructed plate ticket. In the above photos, you can see the new plates which were airbrushed.

Here I am prepping the front of the vehicle to airbrush the headlights and front emblem. This took about an hour and wanted to be sure I didn't get any excess overspray on the vehicles finish. The veiled the hell out of the Pontiac emblem as it's reflective chrome.

Here is a shot of the front headlight after airbrushing with the Veil. There is a slight haze but barely noticeable. I wasn't sure how much to apply but used my best judgement as I didn't want to have issues like I did with my first set of license plates that I ruined from overapplication.

Here is a shot of the left sideview mirror all taped and almost ready to airbrush.

Here is a photo of it after airbrushing with veil. There is a slight bluish hue but isn't really noticeable unless you're looking for it. Again, didn't want to go bananas with the airbrush.

I'm convinced the best way to apply the Veil is with an airbrush or professional automotive spray gun. It's easier to control and applies the product evenly and with uniformity unlike the foam brush.

I think I pretty much addressed the entire front end but I guess there is always room for improvement. I only have tested the system with a handheld diode transmitter to activate the LI heads. I can't wait to attend one of those laser meets and see what happens with real world equipment. Please leave some feedback on what you think or changes you would make.

Advanced Member

Default Re: Pontiac G8 LI Quad, V1 Install, and Veil

OVERKILL on the front!!!!!

I strongly suggest you move the heads that are inthe lower grill to the rear!

2 LI HP heads are enough to cover escalade with full chrome grill. You do NOT need all heads up front. All you are doing is giving yourself false confidence until you get shot in the rear!

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob View Post
    OVERKILL on the front!!!!!

I strongly suggest you move the heads that are inthe lower grill to the rear!

2 LI HP heads are enough to cover escalade with full chrome grill. You do NOT need all heads up front. All you are doing is giving yourself false confidence until you get shot in the rear!
    X2. That's beyond overkill.

Great install and awesome car though.
    Puma Power!!!
    Don't be a lemming!! Follow your own destiny!!!

Ducati Team 2013 FORZA DUCATI!!!!

Radar Fanatic

There is no over kill!! He will get amazing protection from the front but theres still a 0.0001%chance of failure. Ask Cat4 and his LI-quad. If you got the money for 4 heads up front, do it. I personally will favor 2 heads front and 2 heads rear. I have great success veiling plates but i cant find the thread with my pic. My plate came out perfectly lightly smoked.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by R.J. View Post
    ...I guess there is always room for improvement.
    Not in this case!

You nailed it. I am not one to use the term "overkill" much in countermeasure discussions. But if anyone comes close, you have come the closest, that's for sure. You won't need any of those passive countermeasures with the HPs on there. It looks damn fine though! Excellent, meticulous job on the heads.

You should be bulletproof on the front. But I would agree that you need some rear protection ASAP. Whether you move the lower heads to the rear or add another set-up for the rear is up to you. But either should serve you well without any compromise on the front performance.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Newcomer

nice install

but.. chrome looks so nice

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Uhn_Tiss View Post
    nice install

but.. chrome looks so nice
    Ugh, chrome.

It might be overkill, but after a couple of tickets the fear takes time to subside. I did spend more than I wanted (or probably needed on a Pontiac no less), but feel pretty confident that it's a solid setup up front.

I'm not sure I can swing another system for the rear at this time but am I'm considering it in the future. Everytime I've been tagged was from the front and agree that sooner or later the rear will be the target of choice. I've spent so much time and effort setting up the four heads on the front, I'm probably going to leave them for now and until I learn more about how everything works. I'm certain attending one of those test days will answer alot of questions.

Well, if I did add another two head system in the rear, it would seem weird having to CPUs and two switches to control everything. It's too bad that head five and six couldn't be integrated into one CPU. To make matters worse, it would probably take precious seconds to know which system is being targetted although the trusty V1 would probably help with that. Running two systems is probably not the norm, but how likely is it that one system will interfere with the other or even worse, reduce effectiveness?

Yoda of Radar

They won't interfere with each other when they are on separate ends of the car. If they cannot see each other, they cannot interfere with each other.

You've definitely spent enough to cover both the front and back. It'd be a shame to spend all that and get tagged from the rear. Honestly, I'd move the lower heads to the rear for that reason. The front will still be very well protected.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Good Citizen

Nice install. Very nice car.