Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: v1 euro mode

Radar Fanatic

Default v1 euro mode

on reading the euro mode how to....

technicly all's you are doing is knocking off x band which is not used in europe but you can do that anyway!!

and also you can just run ka band! and or run k ku ka bands! aswell as pop!

if its on euro mode in k ku ka +pop i cant see how it detects any better
    than a non pop v1 with the x band knocked off!

the only real performance advantage is just running ka band only!
    but you would then be running without 100% protection!

yes you could run just ka band but why just on that band!
    a speed trap could run on k ku or ka! so why put it on the ka only and run the risk of getting caught!

when i heard about it i thought brill but i'm not so sure now

what do you guys recon....... whats mikes verdict on this!!

does the euro mode make the v1 more sensitive!

we need some tests done here!

Good Citizen

X-band is used in Europe :!: ...over here in Bulgaria it is actually the only radar band used.

Radar Fanatic

that is strange because the euro mode doesnt have x band!

Professional

Well, the EUR mode only detects 34.3Ghz in the KA band range.

Does anyone know how much more sensitive this makes the V1 EUR mode compared to regular V1 when detecting multanova 34.3Ghz photo radars?

Radar Fanatic

the v1 sweeps 33.400 - 36.000 GHz (Ka band)

so by stopping it at a certain frequency you get faster response! so by just scanning 1 frequency instead of up and down a frequency... the detector has more time to find it!! or should i say it reconises radar quicker! it must be quicker otherwise there be no point in having a euro mode!

there may or may not be any difference...... i've noticed even with my crap detector i can get a really good range if cars are infront of me!
    obviously because i get more scatter!!

Professional

I was actually looking for any actual testing against a photo radar with a V1, with EUR mode on/off.

It was said that the detector scans the entire KA wideband frequency within 1 second, so why would it detect quicker? I think jimbonzzz said this in a different post.

Advanced Member

Yep, from what I understand, even many of the the pre-pop detectors scanned the entire Ka band in ~300ms, this is why they would miss the 67ms POP burst the majority of the time, unless maybe they happened to be sweeping the Bee III's 33.8 GHz frequency at the exact same time as the pop burst.

The poor detection of low-power photo radar is not because of a slow sweep. Most detectors will respond to Ka in much less than a second. In my testing, this is indeed the case: the detector will alert within one second after the Ka source is turned on. This can be seen in a couple of the videos posted in the video section.

It has been suggested that when scanning only one frequency, the alert "threshold" that differentiates between a false alert/background noise and real police radar can be lowered considerably, resulting in much better detection range on that frequency. While I don't know for certain if this is the case, it does sound plausible...

Jim

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Yep, from what I understand, even many of the the pre-pop detectors scanned the entire Ka band in ~300ms, this is why they would miss the 67ms POP burst the majority of the time, unless maybe they happened to be sweeping the Bee III's 33.8 GHz frequency at the exact same time as the pop burst.

The poor detection of low-power photo radar is not because of a slow sweep. Most detectors will respond to Ka in much less than a second. In my testing, this is indeed the case: the detector will alert within one second after the Ka source is turned on. This can be seen in a couple of the videos posted in the video section.

It has been suggested that when scanning only one frequency, the alert "threshold" that differentiates between a false alert/background noise and real police radar can be lowered considerably, resulting in much better detection range on that frequency. While I don't know for certain if this is the case, it does sound plausible...

Jim
    Some good points...

but wouldn't the detector companys just be able to increase sensitivity on those few particular photo radar frequencies anyway, even if doing a broad range sweep?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by nvr2fast
    Some good points...

but wouldn't the detector companys just be able to increase sensitivity on those few particular photo radar frequencies anyway, even if doing a broad range sweep?
    I've wondered the same thing, and I'm sure they could do that.
    I don't have a conclusive answer as to why scanning the single frequency gives better detection range...

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Quote Originally Posted by nvr2fast
    Some good points...

I've wondered the same thing, and I'm sure they could do that.
    I don't have a conclusive answer as to why scanning the single frequency gives better detection range...
    Is the V1 rep still around? Perhaps he knows...? :shock: