Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default I'm actually doing it!

I decided to bite the bullet (MMMM.....Lead), and I'm ordering a refurb V1.....

Can't wait, soon I'll be driving along happily with my new-to-me V1

Looks like I'll soon be a V1 Zombie....

that is, if Valentine Research's antiquated, and pathetic phone system will ever let me get a call through!!! AARRGGGHHH!!!

Mike, you're sure making enough on the sales of your V1, how about upgrading to a modern phone system that DOESN'T DROP THE CALLS CONSTANLY!!

Legal in 41 States

Congrats on your new purchase.

and its not the phones dropping the calls, its mrs. valentine hanging up on you, lol.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by REBinc
    Congrats on your new purchase.
    X2 I got mine as a "refurb" swear it was new..... :wink:

Good Citizen

Finally got through, placed my order, and my V1 should be shipping tomorrow, should be here by Friday

Heh, ironically, my new case plastics for my X50 just arrived today too, and my X50 looks all brand new in it's new plastics, heck, they sent me two rear windows, and both a red and a blue front bezel

I'm almost tempted to put the blue bezel on, so I could have the only X50 with a blue bezel and red LEDs

And no, I'm not getting rid of my X50 just because I have a V1 now, my X50 is a desirable Rev 5 and is My Preiousss.....

Now, to figure out a safe place of mounting it that keeps it within sight, but does not obscure rearward visibility, the X50 is mounted as high as possible for maximum radar sensitivity, but that's so high that mounting the V1 there would partially obscure the rear antenna's view of the road, I could Velcro it to the top of the instrument cluster pod (which is center-mounted on the Ion) which would give it an unobscured view of the road, but reduce radar sensitivity, on the upside, it *would* increase Laser sensitivity....

how much cheaper is the refurbished V1 from a new V1.

Good Citizen

$360 for the refurb, full warranty as a new machine

Experienced

Will a refurb always be the newest version?

Professional

Yes they all come with the most recent firmware. And I don't think the rear antenna is too particular. I have mine mounted very high and am always curious if it's being blocked or anything. I haven't had any problems with it yet and it seems to hold on to signals for awhile. It's not as sensitive as the front antenna anyway though.

Speed Demon

sweet.. congrats on the purchase!

Good Citizen

It's funny, maybe it's the "I wanna' know how stuff works" technician mindset, but whenever my X50 alerts, my first instinct is to lift off the gas, even if I'm PSL or below, even if it turns out to be a false, my second instinct (which runs concurrent with the first instinct) is *WHERE* is the threat? is it front, side, or rear, and *HOW MANY* threats are there?

the X50 is brilliant for the first instinct, for the second instinct, meh, not so hot, the ExpertMeter *helps*, but it's no bogey counter, especially as it can only count off 2 Ka sources, and most cruisers in my area use dual-antenna Ka guns, to be truly useful, the ExpertMeter should count off "Bogeys" for whatever band is there, speed trap ahead with four Stalkers?, then show four Ka bars, Cop hiding in a minimall, show the three openers *AND* his dual-antenna gun.....

Don't get me wrong, the X50 is a great detector, I love it, I just wish it had the ability to show me a bit more information

now, if there was only a way to run both the X50 and V1 together without them interfering with each other, I could use the V1 as the main detector, and the X50 in Spec to show the frequency of the radar source

Part of me says "hold on to the X50, as it's the desirable Ver. 5, and it's *always* good to have a backup, if you have to send the V1 in for repairs/upgrades, you will have a spare detector to use in the interim"

Part of me says "the X50 will just end up gathering dust, now that you have the V1, why not sell it, heck, Stark** could use a detector, sell it to him cheap"

**my co-worker who got hit by a drunkie that totaled his car