Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default Leave the detector in the car?

Just wondering what most of you guys do with your detectors when you guys get out of the car for an extended period. I know it's not good to leave it mounted on the windshield because of exposure to the sun and all that, but what about putting it under your seat and such. Is that enough as to not harm the detector, or should you pretty much just take it out when you leave the car? Thanks, RTT.

Professional

Default Re: Leave the detector in the car?

I take mine down everytime I park, unless im just running into a store for a few mins, and thats only when I can park right in front of the store where I can see my vehicle. I had my first V1 stolen, since then, im really paranoid about leaving it up. Same goes for the stereo face.

Radar Fanatic

Unless you have some kind of James Bond hidden compartment, thief's always check the glove compartment and under the seat.

Just use common sense on when you should remove it... but also remember to wipe off the suction cup marks on the windshield if you use suction cups. They look for those on the glass too.

Good Citizen

Mine goes in the V1 Case and then into the GC.

If it's a quickstop then I leave it up...

Good Citizen

Mine very rarely leaves its mount, only for security when parking at a hotel, airport, etc.

Yoda of Radar

I have to be going someplace either far away from the vehicle, or for an extended period before I take mine down. Short stops like a gas station or convenience store, nah. You can hardly see mine anyhow, so it doesn't attract attention like windshield mounted detectors do. If I'm going to be away for extended shopping or something, like at the mall, I'll lock it in the glove box. Anything shorter, no point. Chances are I will be back and introduce them to Mr. Glock before they can get through the armoured glass, into the car, and see the RD.

As for whether or not that is healthy for the RD, I dunno. It's in the shade, even when mounted, so I don't think it's a particularly bad thing. But yeah, if you have it on your windshield, I'd be worried.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Lead Foot

Well I was more concearned about the the temp inside the car than it bieng stolen. People say not to leave it mounted on the windshield because the car gets hot and it's in direct sunlight, but what if you leave it in the car out of the sunlight, i.e the glove box? Is it bieng in the sun while it's really hot, or is it the ambient temp in general that kills the electronics? Yeah, I take it in with me most of the time at night because I'm worried about theft, but when I'm at work, I like to leave it in my car in my little "hiding spot" really to keep it out of the sunlight. I'm not so worried about theft at my work as it's parked in the lot by the gunshop that I work for, so we don't have much thievery.

Radar Fanatic

Mine almost never comes down.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Turbo Tegg View Post
    People say not to leave it mounted on the windshield because the car gets hot and it's in direct sunlight, but what if you leave it in the car out of the sunlight, i.e the glove box? Is it bieng in the sun while it's really hot, or is it the ambient temp in general that kills the electronics?
    Mind you that this is strictly theoretical talk, but the ambient temperature reached in a car -- especially while shaded -- shouldn't be a problem in most cases. It's those superheated temperatures from direct radiated head, like the sun that you worry about. Those temperatures are much greater.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    Mind you that this is strictly theoretical talk, but the ambient temperature reached in a car -- especially while shaded -- shouldn't be a problem in most cases. It's those superheated temperatures from direct radiated head, like the sun that you worry about. Those temperatures are much greater.
    Thanks for the info. RTT. What if the detector is bieng shaded by a tint strip? Is that enough protection? I won't leave it there, I just would like to know for my own knowlege.