Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Good Citizen

Angry Stolen V1 from eBay

Hi all

One year ago I have purchased a V1 from eBay. Couple days ago I accidentally drop it and my mute button stoped working. So I contact V1 how much it gonna cost me to fix it. They asked me for serial number and my full name and adress. They haven't respond for couple days. Finally last week I have been surprised by detective. He told me that the V1 have been stolen in Florida a year ago and he have to get it back to the origianl owner. We talk for little bit and then he left.
    I have paid about $350 for it. Is there any way I can get my money back??

Professional

Default Re: Stolen V1 from eBay

I dont think so, i hate when this happens but thats why you get the serial before purchasing anything from ebay, esp a V1.

This is prob the only reason why i purchased my V1 directly from Valentine and coughed up the extra 100 dollars.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by PysiuChicago View Post
    One year ago I have purchased a V1 from eBay. the V1 have been stolen in Florida a year ago and he have to get it back to the origianl owner.
    I have paid about $350 for it. Is there any way I can get my money back??
    A new V1 costs $399. Why on earth would you pay $350 for a used one?

Anyway, you're probably getting off easy; possession of stolen property is a crime in its own right, but apparently they aren't going to charge you.

This was a very expensive lesson; I hope you learned it well. Next time, spend the extra $49 and buy direct from Valentine Research.

Power User

Although not a 100%, make sure when buying a V1 on ebay, it comes with the original box or other accessories. It has a higher rate of not being stolen. Sorry about your loss. Did you pay with paypal? You can check with them and see if you can have a claim. You can also report this to ebay and also check if you can have a dispute filed against the seller.

Good Citizen

Yes,it was my mistake I should buy it directly from V1. What about if I have all the information about the guy who sold it to me?? Can I sue him? I will give the information to the detective who visit me. I contact PayPal and eBay but they cannot do anything to make him return my money.

Old Timer

1. Step 1
      Print out a copy of the listing you believed to contain a stolen item(s). Make sure the eBay site address is printed at the bottom and the date. Also make sure the item number and User ID is on the listing. Make yourself a copy of the listing.
    2. Step 2
      Contact your local law-enforcement agency. Most sheriff departments or city police departments will have a cybercrime division. Take the printout of the listing into the department and talk to a detective. Tell the detective to use eBay's law enforcement-specific web form. He will have to include all information about the listing, including case number from the police report that will be written, listing item number and user ID of the member posting the stolen item.
    3. Step 3
      Get a copy of the police report. An investigation will begin after everything has been sent to eBay. eBay's Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Program will check into the listing, the eBay member and any other listings that person has posted.
    4. Step 4
      Contact eBay's Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) department and follow up on the case to see if any progress has been made.

Thats really the best I could find. Best of luck to you man.

This really makes me wonder if I could sell my detector on ebay, then REPORT it as stolen. Would that mean I would get the detector back?

What a sad world we live in

Power User

Yes,it was my mistake I should buy it directly from V1. What about if I have all the information about the guy who sold it to me?? Can I sue him? I will give the information to the detective who visit me. I contact PayPal and eBay but they cannot do anything to make him return my money.
    Definitely give the info to the detective. You won't see your money again, but maybe the perp will get into some hot water.

Good Citizen

Sethy I can't print out the listing because eBay have already delete it from theirs system. The only document I have is a print out from PayPal.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by sethy View Post
    This really makes me wonder if I could sell my detector on ebay, then REPORT it as stolen. Would that mean I would get the detector back?
    I thought this happens ALL the time.

Old Timer

Sethy I can't print out the listing because eBay have already delete it from theirs system. The only document I have is a print out from PayPal.
    This is where you take it to paypal.

1. Step 1
      Go to ebay and login to your account using your username and password.
    2. Step 2
      Contact the seller about the missing, damaged or disappointing item if you have not already done so. You can do this by clicking on the item number and then "contact seller" and type an email. Wait a few days for the seller to respond.
    3. Step 3
      Log back into your eBay account as in the previous steps and go ahead with the dispute if you have not heard from the seller or you are not satisfied with her answer. You should have received tracking information, refund offers or the like.
    4. Step 4
      Click the item number once in eBay and then "report an item not received" in the drop-down box under actions on the right-hand side of your screen. You will be taken to a different screen, where you should click the blue "proceed with dispute" box.
    5. Step 5
      Click "continue to Paypal" and sign into your Paypal account, since you will be continuing the dispute through this site.
    6. Step 6
      Click the "find transaction ID" button. Click the link that contains the transaction ID and then the "continue" button once you have located it.
    7. Step 7
      Select "I haven't received my item" or "I received my item, but..." choice as warranted. Click continue.
    8. Step 8
      Select the category of your purchase using the drop-down box on the next screen. Fill in a detailed explanation along with dates, times and contact with the seller. You may cut and paste any correspondence with the seller here as well.
    9. Step 9
      Click "go to resolution center" to cancel, revise or escalate the dispute. Once you cancel the dispute, it cannot be reopened, so be sure you are satisfied.
    10. Step 10
      Escalate the dispute into a claim if the seller has not responded nor offered restitution for your lost, damaged or insufficient merchandise or service. Paypal will then decide what action needs to be taken next or just refund your money.

I know initially you are selecting "I havnt received my item" on ebay, but this is just to get you to step 7 so you can file your claim on paypal. (see the red in step 7)