Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default So G.O.L results are up , toughts

First of all I would like to thank the GOL guys for their tests , which go largely unsponsored and benefit us all, I will look to donate to their cause as soon as I can.

In their test they show a vararity of V1s , one , the 3.872 has KA guard off , It is cool for comparative reasons but I would like to had seen a 3.872 with default settings and one with POP off to see any increase in peformance from this more controvertial setting.

The test did show however , and incredible increase in peformance on KA with KA guard off as some forum members had predicted ,however since a falsing test wasn't conducted we are going to have to run one ourselves :P

The question is : is the increase in peformance guarant the huge increase in false alerts?

Also the test shows that indeed the 3.813 is superior on some KA frequencies to the new ones ,again no tests were done on a un-modified 3.872 so we have no way to know that if the small internal changes done by V. Research did anything to improve the performance of our beloved V1 since this older model is hard to get by.

Also no Laser detecting tests were done , so we have no idea if the additional false alerts we get from the newer V1s are equivalent to more range.

The test did show however that Whistler is getting their stuff together and are catching up to the big,more expensive RD out there!

what do you guys think ?

Newcomer

Default Re: So G.O.L results are up , toughts

No Laser testing? I though they were the Guys of Lidar.

Speed Demon

I too really appreciate all the effort from GOL.

Does Happy$$ work for Apple or something, I'm impressed he could predict so well how long all the work would take .

Any way, I feel exactly the same way as Venom. If you take the Ka Guard off unit off the list and focus on Ka which is the most important (for most of us) and look at the most current V1 detectors, V1's didn't do so hot. If I have to run with Ka Guard off for good performance I'd go back to a 9500ix in a heart beat.

33.8 two newest V1's tied for last place.
    34.7 two newest V1's tied for first place among windshield mounted units
    35.5 two newest V1's tied for last place (pretty darn close to last any way) probably the most popular frequency

I agree I would have liked to have see that same Ka Guard band off unit run with Ka Guard on. VR isn't king if he doesn't still make top detectors sold TODAY running in "normal" modes.

I'm just hoping those two newest V1's with guard on were out of tune.
    My concerns are the Ka Guard band off unit is blinding everyone in real CURRENT performance from V1's including VR.

Ease up on the V1 hype, VR has some work to do. Or a bunch more testing.

The newest V1's with guard on did do well on the semi-scientific which has me a little baffled though.
    Last edited by mswlogo; 09-19-2009 at 07:20 AM.

Founder of Stealthvation

Well we are going to do a follow up test so we can include the Redline and we will use two V1's for reference (same ones we used for this test). Maybe I will have RacerX send his V1 back and we can make sure we re test it with Ka guard on. He is the only fool that is willing to drive with it with Ka guard on. So as long as we have my 3.813 to compare them too then we should be fine.
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by happya$$ View Post
    Well we are going to do a follow up test so we can include the Redline and we will use two V1's for reference (same ones we used for this test). Maybe I will have RacerX send his V1 back and we can make sure we re test it with Ka guard on. He is the only fool that is willing to drive with it with Ka guard on. So as long as we have my 3.813 to compare them too then we should be fine.
    That would be great. When is that test planned for?

I may play with Ka Guard off for sh$ts and giggles.

Newcomer

I have just started using my V1, and I have read many posts in this forum. I am still trying to figure out which settings I want to use with my V1, and it is quite difficult to find a happy medium. I currently have my V1 set to 1-5 up, 6 & 7 down, 8 & A up, b down, C & d up, E & F down, ang G, H, I, J, u, and u up. I'm thinking about switching 6 & 7 to up though because I get alot of false alerts and when I get close to a bogey (8 lights), my radar becomes unmuted. I end up pressing mute anyway. I am wondering if 6 up may help all the false I get on K band too. Ka band doesn't give me as many falses as the K band does. It seems like every store is using K for something. From what I am gathering, 5 down will only make the strenght meter lights ramp up faster. I have also thought about changing G to down in order to get rid of more falses. I really don't mind the falses that much, but it's hard sometime to depict whether or not the bogey is a cop or not. I'm getting accustomed to my radar though and have hardwired it in with a concealed display in front of my speedometer. I'll take a picture today and post it for you all to see. Thanks for any help that you may have, thanks. When I post my picture, take a look at the position of my radar. I have it direct center above my RVM. There are dots on the windshiled in this area, but it seems to make no difference in my V1's performance. Actually the higher I went with my V1, the better the reception seemed to be. I'd like to see how much difference the mounting position of my V1 makes for laser detection. My only laser detections have been when I go through the EZ pass lane on the NYS Thruway. On the straighaways though, my radar coverage is phenomenal.
    Last edited by Todd; 09-19-2009 at 08:00 AM.

Founder of Stealthvation

Quote Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by happya$$ View Post
    That would be great. When is that test planned for?

I may play with Ka Guard off for sh$ts and giggles.
    You will find that having Ka guard off is not practical and annoying do to EXCESSIVE KA falses
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Experienced

Were is the test for 3.872 with the Ka guard on?

Also, In AZ the photo radar with the antenna that is (I have heard) vertically aligned is the the Multanova K band. I appreciate the effort to simulate this using Stalker, but that is not the same thing. When I get my units (3.864 and 8.813) back form VR I am going to stage my own tests on the hwys of AZ with a real van in real traffic. I will make runs vertical and horizontal.

I have more thoughts but I will just keep it short and end by saying I don't really see the value in tests where the performance of the radar source is muffled by absorbing material. It would seem to me that this would distort the transmission and not fairly represent what our detectors are looking for. I know it was applied across the board to all of them, but still.....I have a hard time buying any result of a test where this method was used.

Interesting reading though. Thanks guys.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by ATSRADAR View Post
    For ALL of the scientific tests

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ATSRADAR View Post
    For ALL of the scientific tests
    I guess I just have a hard time with the radar absorbing material. It does not seem fair to any of the guns. Not just V1. I am not speeding in a lab. I am on a street with a cop that doesn't muffle his gun with that material. Sure you tested Ka guard on there, but why not the whole thing?

BTW, can someone PM me a site where I can buy a vertical mount here in the US?