Newcomer

Default "E" on Valentine One? Whats that?

A friend told me last nite he had an "E" alert show up on his display? I've never hard of this but his V1 is the latested with POP.

I thought the display only showed the mode of operation n number of radar upto 9?

Can anyone expand on this "E" display?

Thanks

Jim

Radar Fanatic

Your friend probably got a laser warnining which shows three horizontal bars. It looks like a capital E without the vertical line on the left.

Probably what happened

Radar Fanatic

Default "E"

I have had 1 or two lasers alerts and one actual hit and it happens so infreuently that the 3 bars at quick glance do look like the letter "E"

Speed Demon

The headlights on some gargantuan Infinity SUV behind me kept setting off my laser it was so annoying. I wonder what it was. His lights didn't look like anything special, but they were kinda wierd (I could acutally see a very skinny beam coming out of them seperate from the rest of the light.
    Richard

Radar Fanatic

Some high-end vehicles have laser-assisted cruise control. Might have been the culprit.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by marlinspike
    The headlights on some gargantuan Infinity SUV behind me kept setting off my laser it was so annoying. I wonder what it was. His lights didn't look like anything special, but they were kinda wierd (I could acutally see a very skinny beam coming out of them seperate from the rest of the light.
    Richard
    Go here to read what Mike Valentine (W8MM) said about laser falsing and more:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...threadid=21599

"The Trailblazer/Envoy thing is caused by neon in the CHMSL. It's a tough nut to crack. The ignition repetition rate is in the many kHz range, which is far outside the normal laser gun rate. However, there is a "squegging" of the neon plasma that occurs at a hundreds-per-second rate that fools the laser detection circuits, since these events repeat in the expected time range for police laser pulses. We're working on this (and have been for years), but there's nothing to report as yet.

"A growing-bigger problem now seems to be laser assisted "Intelligent" cruise controls on Infinity FX35, FX45, and QX56 SUVs. What a PItA. They perfectly replicate laser speed-gun signals. We're working on that one, too!"

Speed Demon

Doesn't the cruise control have to be on for that? We were going like 30mph and stopping for traffic lights.
    Richard

Radar Fanatic

On a side note, I wonder if the laser assisted cruise control could be re-programed to act like a blinder.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by marlinspike
    Doesn't the cruise control have to be on for that? We were going like 30mph and stopping for traffic lights.
    Richard
    That's a good question. I wouldn't think that the laser would be on all the time, but I can't say for sure. Maybe someone else would know.

Radar Fanatic

Found out some more information on the laser cruise control.
    The option on some of the new Infinity and Lexus is on all the time as it is also used for another feature called brake assist which prepressurizes the brakes in case someone cuts in front of you.