Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Advanced Member
    Upstate New York where the Stalker Dual is King

Default Re: Sometimes a V1 Just Isn't Enough

I'm not going to be a hypocrite..........I occasionally let go of the reins to see if all those ponies are still present and accounted for. My rule of thumb though is to do that stuff on empty highways that can handle the speed and the only person I'm likely to off is the idiot driving.

Bad JU JU. You can go 20 years without a ticket and then get smacked with 3 in a week.........just Murphy doing his job.

Chill out and get used to sticking within 10 of the PSL with your V1 for insurance. In three years you will be the wiser and give lady luck some time to get reaquainted with you. Find a local track to take out your frustrations in the meantime.

Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Professional

im sorry man. always use a rabbit from now on. let the clueless soccer mom pass and use her as bait......I/o at 100+ would scare the crap out of anyone...

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    I feel your pain bro. Back in the 90's I had a heavy wrist and thought the roads were a race track for me and my liter class sport bike. I racked up 4 points and got a suspension for 1 year in less then 6 months. This did not deter me and I got 2 driving on a suspended license tickets shortly after that. When looking at jail time, I was forced to drive the speed limit for the next 3 years till my points came off. So I got the best RD I could and drove with the cruise control a lot to be sure I was not speeding. I stayed off the radar and all was well after 3 years. In the beginning it was hard, but I would put on some jazz and just try to relax. You can do it and after a while it is not much of an issue. Good luck, been there done that.
    That was me when I was 17... close to license suspension and waiting. Drive the limit be cool... I usually put on some instrumental easy listening music. Did that for six years... Starting to get back into the game... But this time I have my CM's. That was honestly my issue back then... (edit: I bought a cobra that paid for itself since money was tight back then and did the following... realize the cobra is much crappier than your V1 but it still worked...)

Use all the stops to help you. Rabbit? Detector? CB even? Sure they still can get you even with all that equipment. That's why I stick to usually 10 over no more... most police are kind enough to give you an 11-13 mph buffer... some don't... most do...

edit: Its also much easier to drop 5-10 mph than say 25-50...

Around here fines have tightened up. Heck one save from my bel rx65 paid for itself 5 times over... recently

Its not like it used to be... that's for sure...

The prosecuting attorney said I was going to end up in a body bag.
    I'm fine and well... to this day. Thank God!
    Last edited by Malibumaxx; 10-05-2011 at 11:20 AM.

Speed Demon

both V1s went off
    Am I reading this right? You was running two V1's in the same car?

Quote Originally Posted by bombebomb View Post
    both V1s went off
    im confused by this too

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by TwoLitersOfFury View Post
    both V1s went off
    im confused by this too
    Maybe he had the second one facing the rear so you pick up the strengths of both antennas in both directions. I've never heard of 2 V1s.

Lead Foot

Wow, so many replies!
    Quote Originally Posted by hedonism View Post
    Welcome to the club. I go 60 while everybody in their minivan and their trucks speed past me at 75+.
    Yeah, sucks doesn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by spartcus View Post
    Sorry to hear your misforture but think of it this way your life is safe because going at that speed one of those soccer mom come out in front of you and you are pushing up daisy and beside it will pass and you will be back to almost the same. Drive safe because it could be yours.
    Actually, it's much, much more dangerous. Our interstate was undergoing construction where the limit was dropped from 70 to 55. While I went 55, everyone else was going the normal 75-85. NOT SAFE AT ALL. I avoided 7 accidents in 48hrs, and then stopped using the interestate until the limits when back to normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akosikojak View Post
    I feel your pain on having to drive the speed limits, but to be brutally honest you did this one to yourself . If I read your post right, you were basically doing 100 MPH in a 60 PSL, you didn't mention having any kind of rabbit and I mean common, +40 over the PSL and your well beyond any hope of being w/in any LEO's threshold speed .

Good luck in your driving future.
    I hate driving those speeds, and rarely, rarely do it. The only times are when it's when it's something deadly critical. That also means, full alert to everything around me, left foot braking, everything on the car in top condition.

I've seen LEOs let people go at 80 in these 60mph zones, so there was a chance. In fact, the only reason he might have checked me because I moved over for a car merging onto the road at 80mph from a 45mph zone.
    I feel your pain bro. Back in the 90's I had a heavy wrist and thought the roads were a race track for me and my liter class sport bike. I racked up 4 points and got a suspension for 1 year in less then 6 months. This did not deter me and I got 2 driving on a suspended license tickets shortly after that. When looking at jail time, I was forced to drive the speed limit for the next 3 years till my points came off. So I got the best RD I could and drove with the cruise control a lot to be sure I was not speeding. I stayed off the radar and all was well after 3 years. In the beginning it was hard, but I would put on some jazz and just try to relax. You can do it and after a while it is not much of an issue. Good luck, been there done that.
    I have no need to speed other than having to save time. I have no (**($ time in my life, barely enough to breathe. 5-10 minutes a day can mean I have time to eat vs skipping a meal.
    Quote Originally Posted by North Alabama View Post
    Do drive safe. Doing 50 over (shaved off 10 huh!), sports car, rabbit, traffic to hide behind, past record. Questions? Was it day light? Not paying attention? Unmarked Leo?Four lane? Why 2 V1s? Ka Guard off? Set for priority alarms for faster reaction? Stalker, MPH or Kustom? Did you get to see the reading? What state?.... I was traveling along and noticed a light bar of a Trooper topping the hill in front of me, I made the tires bark and slowed fast, no hit! Luck has a lot to play. The thing about I/O is that your eyes can beat his eyes and finger if on alert....
    Day light. Over the hill on parkway north heading into Hazel Green where Meridian merges (where the car merging was going 80+). I was nice and moved over. Full attention, scanning everything, but with safety first, LEOs second. Probably why I missed him. State trooper pretty far away. Me coming down a hill helped him get me at a far distance. Why 2 V1s? I noticed the two I have are different in their detection, so if both go off, you know it's real! Stock settings on both. Didn't see the reading, didn't want to make him any more upset. I'm happy he didn't write it up over 100 as that's even worse in a court's eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4ringz4life View Post
    I think hiring a driver, if that is within your means, is a good idea. why risk it or deal with the awful stress of driving PSL. The other option is to become as clueless as everyone else driving PSL. listen to different classical music, get out the greatest professor's lectures CDs and learn something, Get a great speaker phone. Get a DVD player, yup, i've seen it.
    Unfortunately, it's not in my means. I may be able to set up some sort of exchange with a limo company, but that's more work than I have time for. I've thought about becoming just another clueless, anti-social driver with a chip on their shoulder. But then when someone hits my car, I'm still losing, so the hell with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by PshoootR View Post
    Maybe you should just look into getting a new I.D. and a new D.L. to go with it.
    What's crazy is I can pass for Mexican and just act like I don't speak English or have a license. Some bastard that hit me did that after doing $2250 of damage to one of my cars and got away with it scott free. It's so common in this are it's not even funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by nine_c1 View Post
    I'm not going to be a hypocrite..........I occasionally let go of the reins to see if all those ponies are still present and accounted for. My rule of thumb though is to do that stuff on empty highways that can handle the speed and the only person I'm likely to off is the idiot driving.

Bad JU JU. You can go 20 years without a ticket and then get smacked with 3 in a week.........just Murphy doing his job.

Chill out and get used to sticking within 10 of the PSL with your V1 for insurance. In three years you will be the wiser and give lady luck some time to get reaquainted with you. Find a local track to take out your frustrations in the meantime.

Good luck.
    Even at these speeds, I make sure it's only me that will be hurt. I always have an exit, even if it means head-on into a pole. If I'm trying to get to my destination safely and quickly, taking overly unnecessary risks isn't part of the plan. Murphy's done the job in the past too. I once got pulled over 6 times in 6 weeks with 3 tickets. Nothing major, but still 3 tickets. Everyone in my attorney's office knew me by name that month, lol.

I don't plan to speed ever again. It doesn't fit my purpose. Some people get a thrill from high speeds, but I really don't like it. I'll autocross once in a while to build my skill at car control, but that's only to avoid all the other idiots and save my own ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickTrigger View Post
    im sorry man. always use a rabbit from now on. let the clueless soccer mom pass and use her as bait......I/o at 100+ would scare the crap out of anyone...
    Yeah, I usually do. Critical meeting that changed location after I was already 15mins late. I stay 3 lanes away from those moms. I don't want to be the one beating them to death with my frustrations if they hit my car.
    [QUOTE=Malibumaxx;883505]
    Yeah, I've learned to just spend time thinking, and actually enjoying the stereo and the surroundings more. I don't have a choice but to be stuck, so might as well make use of it.

That was me when I was 17... close to license suspension and waiting. Drive the limit be cool... I usually put on some instrumental easy listening music. Did that for six years... Starting to get back into the game... But this time I have my CM's. That was honestly my issue back then... (edit: I bought a cobra that paid for itself since money was tight back then and did the following... realize the cobra is much crappier than your V1 but it still worked...)

Use all the stops to help you. Rabbit? Detector? CB even? Sure they still can get you even with all that equipment. That's why I stick to usually 10 over no more... most police are kind enough to give you an 11-13 mph buffer... some don't... most do...

edit: Its also much easier to drop 5-10 mph than say 25-50...

Around here fines have tightened up. Heck one save from my bel rx65 paid for itself 5 times over... recently

Its not like it used to be... that's for sure...

The prosecuting attorney said I was going to end up in a body bag.
    I'm fine and well... to this day. Thank God!
    Yeah, 5-10 every time I drive is just an unnecessary risk. If I'm not late for something, I don't need it. But when I needed to be there and have the skill, I used to use it. Now, I feel like Superman in the movie where he gave up his powers for Lois.

Yeah, I heard the same thing from my own attorney. )(*($%^ idiots! They're the ones we have to avoid!!
    both V1s went off
    That is correct. A few years ago, I sent my main one back to v1 after it stopped working after 5yrs of service. It was the second time in 10yrs, so I'm guessing there's a 5yr MTBF on them. But I knew I couldn't drive without a v1, so I bought a new one, knowing I'd have one go out again anyways in the future. Well, I could tell the new one acted a little different. So when I got the other one back, I tried both side-by-side on some known signals. And they both acted the same as they would when plugged in individually, but different than each other. So for kicks, I drove one day with both. It's information overload, but I was able to really know when something was real. I'm used to it now and hearing what sounds like an echo when one locks onto a signal and then the other, and all the overlapping beeping. The benefit I've seen is that in that open road with no rabbits, that slight beep that has you wondering doesn't have me wondering when both do it simultaneously.

I wish Mike would just make a detector with 3 axis of sensors. Then you can have a radar like lcd screen which can pinpoint where each signal is and how strong, just like a radar sweep.

Advanced Member

I have a question. If you just would have told the woman you were taking the 8hr course would you have saved your self another trip in front of the Judge?

Hell, I would have said 8 hr course. That might have been the whole cop "know how to lie thing"!

I almost married a Judge's daughter. He had told me when you get yourself in front of a female judge and you are in there for traffic you are toast. He said most woman that are female judges cant stand being a Judge in traffic court or they were to unattractive to get the Judgeship they wanted.

His daughter was beautiful but crazy as hell.
    Last edited by Jstglockem; 10-05-2011 at 03:05 PM.
    2004 Ford Excursion V10 Eddie Bauer Edition / Mercedes Benz E Class
    EBC Vented and drilled rotors ..EBC 4000 Kevlar brake
    Gibson Headers
    PIAA XT 90 Fog Lights Vision X Off Road Lights HID 5700
    Galaxy 919 CB Radio, Palomar 80, 100 Watt power amplifier
    Wilson 1000 antenna
    Magellan GPS Cheetah C50 GPS
    Costillo Dash Cam VC-100
    Kustom Pro Laser ll Infrared Lidar Gun Bushnell Radar Gun
    Valentine One Radar Detector's for the past 15 plus years

http://www.youtube.com/user/MyValentineone?feature=mhum

Radar Fanatic

What were you driving? Any idea what radar was being used?

GTO_04

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Samir View Post
    So after decades of speeding and saving thousands of hours of time. I have no choice but to drive the speed limit for the rest of my natural life if I want to stay out of jail.

Here's the story. Ticket for 100 in a 60. I/O State Trooper, both V1s went off and I had the pedal to the floor scrubbing off 10mph. I stopped so he didn't even have to chase. I was cordial and so was he.

Call to my attorney and we set up everything. The arraining judge was known to be harsh, and with my record (which is defined as a 'Speed Freak' aka someone who is addicted to speeding, which I'm not--standard guilty until proven innocent crap), she was wanting 30 days jail time with a suspended sentence. He negotiated that down to driving school and told me to go sign up. Usually there's some sort of paperwork, but he knows the system and what needs to be said and done, so he just sent me down there. The governmental women that work there were just gossiping and talking about everyone's records like it was a soap opera--so unprofessional, but that's government work I guess. So when it's my turn, they ask is it the 4 or 8hr course. I told her I didn't know. She looked at my record and then asked me if I was sure I got driving school. I told her that I'm following the instructions from my attorney. So they call the judge, who after almost an hour tell them that she didn't look at the record and hell no is she giving me driving school--she wants 30 days jail time.

So back we go to court a month later. My attorney recommends I go to funerals and then the weekend before court says that I need 20hrs of community service for us to even have a chance. So I kill myself over the next three days and have that served. The judge was a different one so it went through for driving school no problem, but I lost over 6 days in time and a lot of stress over the whole thing.

Bottom line, it's not worth it. They want to throw me in jail for speeding and yet all the SUV driving soccer moms who hit people in traffic and the illegals killing people in bad accidents roam free. Hell with it, I'm wasting time either way, so now I drive the limit and avoid all the accidents that I was so far away from before. I still use my V1s, but just to make sure I'm not being framed. Because one more ticket and I still will go to jail.

I've gotten used to it, but there are times that it's torture. Like when I was going 25 in a 25mph zone in my Porsche and I got honked at by a Smart car behind me that wanted to go the pace everyone else was going--40mph. Every place takes so much longer to get to now, and I avoid roads like the interstates where everyone is going 10-15 over the speed limit so I don't get hit. Completely pitiful and sad is my time behind the wheel now. I don't even want to drive anymore. I want to hire a driver so I can work while I'm waiting to get to my destination.
    Case and Point: you've got to be a complete idiot for speeding 100 in a 60. Lesson learned...