Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default v1 3.872 E error from australia

hey all,

first time poster and have a question which i cant find the answers to, well not the answer i'm hoping for.

i recently purchased a v1 2nd hand in working condition and yesterday i went to use it. it turned on, flashed and beeped P on the screen, then went to mode A. after about 10-15 secs it went to E and started beeping.

i've power cycled it and bench tested it repeatedly and have kept getting the same E error. note: its just E with no dots or arrows lit up.

one time whilst trying to fix it i tapped it on my desk a few times and what do you know, it worked! for about 5min... then back to the E error.

i took the unit apart to check for a loose wire (however there are basically 0 wires and all looked well. i turned it on and again the E error. i however noticed that on the main board near the rear antenna it was getting quite warm to the touch just moments after turning the unit on.

is this just a diode using a lot of power or is it possibly a failing/failed component?

anyone have any ideas? bit of a hassle sending it all the way to the USA for a check up, it'll take a while too hmm

all and any help is appreciated.

cheers,
    george

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: v1 3.872 E error from australia

Well, it don't sound to good and if you run it you might get pop so the way I see it is you got two choices. 1) Take it apart and look at it yourself (2) send it in. I want say that this is why we don't recommend buying second hand and if you do be prepare to get taking.

Yoda of Radar

Unfortunately, your V1 is going to need a trip back to the mother ship for repair. As you probably know, VR does not ship internationally, so hopefully you have friends or family that you trust here in the states that can ship your V1 to VR and back to you once they get it back.

Radar Fanatic

Needs to be sent in...

yep, i thought that this would be the result...

as i stated i have taken it apart and theres no visual problems or bad connections, somethings stuffed up in the circuitry or the programming has glitched.

i know there would be a risk with buying 2nd hand, but i used paypal so buyer protection

oh well, cheers for the help guys

anyone have any idea though of what could have caused this sudden random error?

V1 Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by maddog75 View Post
    anyone have any idea though of what could have caused this sudden random error?

Dry solder joint maybe. First thing you do is call VR. Tell them that you have had it apart see what they say. Secondly go out and bash the seller he's just ripped you.

its not the sellers fault, seller even had a short vid of it loading up and working properly and had the same serial as the one i bought.

some weird **** hey lol

i'll call vr later as its now about 2am or something like that over there haha

i tried it again today and still no go

however when trying it i had it pointing towards my crt pc screen and Laser was going off LOL. it was showing the digit 8 on the screen cept the 8 didnt have any of the l sides, so it was the top line, the middle line and the bottom line....

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by maddog75 View Post
    i tried it again today and still no go

however when trying it i had it pointing towards my crt pc screen and Laser was going off LOL. it was showing the digit 8 on the screen cept the 8 didnt have any of the l sides, so it was the top line, the middle line and the bottom line....
    This is normal. Every V1 alerts to laser when you point it at an LCD screen.