Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Radar Fanatic

I don't take my RD down if I'm being pulled over. I'm too busy hiding my scanner LOL! They're illegal here. But now I have my ham license so it's all legal.

Don't wait until LEO is behind you to pull anything off the window or hide anything. Don't want to be making them nervous. That will kill any chance of you getting a warning.

I have been pulled over 3 times with an RD. One of those times I actually had two RDs, the older V1 and a 980. Middle of nowhere, no rabbits, totally unexpected speed trap. They were beeping like crazy LOL! I only got a warning. Two out of three times I got a warning, and I was 15-18 over each time! Just be polite and hope for the best. So I think it just depends on the cop. Some cops will write you for five over, or even less, and some cops will give you up to 15 over. No hard and fast rule there.

I know some cops and they don't care if someone is using a radar detector or not. They know everyone speeds anyway, RD or not.

GTO_04

Speed Demon

Default Re: First Road Trip with V1

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore
    Quote Originally Posted by knothole
    Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore
    Some LEO's don't care honestly... others do, but one thing is for sure there arent many officers (if any) that having and RD will increase the odds of getting out of a ticket.
    I would think if LEO knows you are using a RD it would increase your odds of getting the a ticket for sure.
    Like I said... Some (really) don't care, where I live (and in Kali) they are a completely legal device, so some LEO's really treat you the same... others dont.

Again... as I said though most people take them down because it certainly doesnt help the situation by any means... and it really does tend to bring on the tickets... so take it down if possible. Again as I said and V1Dave too, dont take it down when the LEO can see your actions, it can make them very nervous...with good reason.
    couldnt of said it any better. I got pulled over on Thursday of last week because I just put my Acura on the road and had 10 days untill it needed to be inspected. When I saw his lights turn on and make a U-turn I knew he was after me. I did not have enough time to take my radar detector down when all my friends were telling me to. I did not want to take it down beacuse obv. the cop would see that im up to something.

Lead Foot

If you hardwire it and run the cord down the rearview mirror housing or from the headliner, put the V1 above the rearview. In the unlikely event that you are stopped, you put your visor down, and viola, the V1 is hidden.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by ReadyRadar
    If you hardwire it and run the cord down the rearview mirror housing or from the headliner, put the V1 above the rearview. In the unlikely event that you are stopped, you put your visor down, and viola, the V1 is hidden.
    I put mine above my mirror like this. Although, I drive an Impala. The LEO can't see it from the window unless he actually gets in the car. With the Yukon, where you will sit higher than someone standing outside your car, you could just put your visor down...that would work great.

Good Citizen

Back from the rode trip. Great time skiing and driving! Once I got out of town I switched to "A" mode and most of the drive up North was pretty quite. When I went by some towns I had a few x falses and one or to K falses. Was able to tell because of the arrows and counter.

Leaving or entering some of the small towns I get hammer with K band. They all ended up being speed drones. But all Ka hits were CHPs. Most of the time I had front arrow with count at 1 with 1 or 2 lights. If it went to 3 it soon became full alert. They were normally on the other side running constant.

The 2 best encounters were one where I was getting a Ka alert with about 2 to 4 lights for about a mile or two with the front arrow but I couldn't see anything. They all of a sudden about 6 cars up this CHIP cuts out onto the median and goes back the other way. Never saw him ahead because of all the cars in front.

The next one was great. My wife was driving and I started to get a very weak Ka alert then it got a little stronger. Still couldn't see anything. This was a rear arrow with counter on 1. We went a little farther and the signal got a little stronger but not total full alert yet. We slowed down to make a turn into a rest area and all of a sudden full alert. Still nothing in site. As we start to park the car here comes a CHP pasted the rest stop running Ka. Oh was that great! Did have 2 "Js" but both were correct.

Now, that I have used the V1 for a while in the city and highway I am thinking of extending the mute and may be turning off x since in Calif. I have only seen x falses near stores.

Really, love those arrows. Glad I bought the V1 wouldn't leave home without it.

Knothole

Good Citizen

I have never seen a real X alert in California, north or south bay area.

I have seen only one real K alert. The vast majority of LEO run Ka.

Good Citizen

Seems here in So Cal I get a few x falses which I know are falses because of the arrows. I have had x and K falses at the same time at one certan stop light. No real Ka falses and now J out yet.

I drive the city and local freeways in litlle l like the x mute. Thinking of turning off POP but not to sure yet. The V1 normally is fairly quit except for the x falses.

An now with my new modified remote diplay from Lifespeed things should be easy to see. I do love the colors.