Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pro 73

Professional

once again in any cheapy radar detector with PoP MODE is no good
    to many falses and plus it will confuse the radar detector and wont do so
    good.

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    Just curious, why is it so important to have a separate indicator for POP? From the sound of it, most people running devices with a dedicated indicator just end up turning it off since it's so annoying when you get a false.
    Well to me this is very important. If it was to late and I was POP'ed, and was pulled over- knowing what I know I would contest the ticket since tickets should not be issued soley on POP. If it is the same alert as an Instant on K band or KA, I would not know whether contest it or not.

I serously wish VR would take this into consideration...

Lead Foot

Default Re: pro 73

Quote Originally Posted by JammerTests Webmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by whistler
    Hi there does anyone have the whistler pro 73 radar I was wondering how it works and if you would know where a good place to put in a jeep
    The whistler pro series constantly falses on VG-2 and KA band. I bought one for my friend and after seeing it in action I regreted it.

VG-2 isn't used in WA state because they aren't illegal.

Chris
    The manual says to press and hold the quiet button until the unit beeps twice to turn VG-2 alerts off. You can use the city modes to reduce or elminate falses especially on X-band. Unfortunately, most detectors will still false on k-band because the signals from automatic door openers and other sources close to the highway are fairly strong. The increased falses on Ka band are probably due to simply unfiltering the unit. Probably no matter what frequency is detected in the Ka band as long as it is brief enough the unit reports POP unless the transmission lasts too long then Ka would be reported.

http://www.whistlergroup.com/manuals...ro58-73man.pdf

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbird
    Probably no matter what frequency is detected in the Ka band as long as it is brief enough the unit reports POP unless the transmission lasts too long then Ka would be reported.
    This is one situation where I actually question the usefulness of a specific alert for POP on some detectors.

Basically all they can do is look for a short, quick signal, and the vast majority of the time when you hear that alert it is NOT pop radar, in fact I have likely NEVER encountered real POP with my RX-65, however if I DO ever encounter actual POP I'll would probably be inclined to disregard it thinking it is false like all of the other times. With a regular radar alert, I believe I would treat it accordingly. I can induce pop alerts quite easily in my RX-65 simply by quick-triggeting a regular radar unit. This can also be seen in JTW's quick-trigger videos. In these situations, it is not POP radar however the alert says that it is.

As far as a specific alert being protection against police giving you tickets based on POP mode, you don't need a specific POP alert in order to defend yourself against a ticket. I make it a point to fight ALL tickets. If the cop was using a POP unit, it will come out in discovery. If he's using POP mode to issue tickets because he doesn't know any better, this will come out in court. If he's lying in order to give tickets, you're screwed anyway, and he doesn't even need to be using radar at all to do that.

POP is NOT a different band, it is simply K or Ka radar just like any other instant-on alert. Maybe whistler has it right: "Because POP Mode travels on regular radar bandwidth, there is no particular alert for POP Mode transmissions.

If they could maybe be more accurate, this could be useful. Maybe they shouldn't alert to POP on short quick K band signals, and only alert to POP on short quick signals on the Ka BEE III's freq. I am convinced that most of the POP falsing is from barely out-of-range motion sensors. But in the current state of affairs, the special POP alerts are innacurate and can be an annoyance. I think the only reason certain makers even put them in was so they could say "see, we detect POP now!"...

Jim

Experienced

where do most people put there radar detectors in there car or trucks if you dont want the police to see it and still have good range with it.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by whistler
    where do most people put there radar detectors in there car or trucks if you dont want the police to see it and still have good range with it.
    Put it up high, either next to or above your rear-view mirror. Just try not to put it behind the tint band because that will cut laser reception. Putting it that high also might cause it to miss direct laser hits depending on what detector you are using and how sensitive it is to laser. (That only matters if you are using VEIL and/or a laser shield because otherwise you're toast no matter what.)

This is only useful advice if you plan to hardwire the detector, though. A dangling power cord is a universal tip-off that a detector is being used.

Speed Demon

echo what brick said, but even with VEIL and lasershield i can't bring myself to mount the X50 low. if i'm far enough away, my guess is the X50 will pick up the laser based on the non-steady hand of the officer holding the laser gun. but who knows....

I got my Pro 73 last week, and the blue text display isn't going so well to me under the daylight... otherwise it is prefect.

btw just worried is there any false alert for "Pulse"? because it did pick up twice today when i going from SD to LA. One from I-60 shown for 5 sec of Pulse then went off.

Another one was at Alhambra local speed 35" picked up Pulse then turn to full alert of KA about 10 sec. After that i made a U turn and got the same alert in the same area, but didn't see any cops around it.

Speed Demon

that's probably their version of POP which does false from time to time on the X50 as well. just kind of one of those things you have to get used to unfortunately.... some will say to turn it off but I wouldn't. Up to you.

Experienced

How far a you pickin up the police in the city and on the highway on the whistler pro 73 you just bought