Newcomer

Default Weak Ka With 220???

As I was going to work to pick up my check, I have my XTR-220 on, Highway, and VG-2 Off. I passed 3 LEOs who use Ka (wouldn't know what frequency # though). I saw them before my detector went off. I'd say approximately 700 feet (give or take a few hundred feet). All these encounters were with the LEO's going the opposite way of me.

So what I'm pretty much asking, is this normal for an XTR-220? X and K for me are great, plenty of time to be able to slow down, but seems to me that Ka is a bit weak. Any and all awnsers appreciated (and I apologize if this has been asked before, but I've already tried and looked for a 220 Ka review).

Professional

ka is very good on 220 , ka is tough to detect and if he is not doin c/o and using it selectively as i/o then it doesnt give you much time.

Power User

that range sound typical for the "average" moving Ka encounter with the Pro-73 platform (slightly less than what I typically experience), depending on terrain, etc.

Terrain is a huge factor on Ka band -- even on my XTR-690 there's a Ka band speed sign that's mounted on a post behind a tree and a slight hill, and it can't pick up more than 0.2 or 0.3 miles (Pro-73 gets roughly half of that distance)

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by guit123
    ka is very good on 220 , ka is tough to detect and if he is not doin c/o and using it selectively as i/o then it doesnt give you much time.
    I figured maybe the first LEO I encountered might have used I/O, but the other two were moving. So I/O can be used while moving??

and jdong, it was a flat highway-ish area (Concrete divider with two lanes on both sides of the divider).

Thanks guys for the input. I"ll see what I can pickup tonight on my way to and from work.

Power User

Yes, IO can be used while moving.

What is your mount position? High or low? A cop from across a concrete divider, perhaps with a few cars in between, already has his signal fairly deflected.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Yes, IO can be used while moving.

What is your mount position? High or low? A cop from across a concrete divider, perhaps with a few cars in between, already has his signal fairly deflected.
    It's high above the rear view mirror.

Didn't know I/O could be used while moving, so that explains it earlier today. Guess that also explains a cop in the passing lane going while going to work today, playing around with instant on in the rear (I assume the rear since he seemed to be slowing down quite a bit to get a reading and that I only got Ka of 1)

Comming home on the White Horse Pike, I encountered a C/O Ka, and I assume i got .4 miles or so on him around 45- 50 miles per hour with him comming at me. So that goes to show my Ka isn't bad. :P

Thanks for all the input again guys. Really appreciate it for my newbie mind. :P

Power User

Awesome -- glad to see your XTR-220 prove its abilities.