Good Citizen

Default A VERY Cool Idea!

Is there something you can buy or know how to build which you can place on your front windshield, like you would the radar detector, only what ever this "mounting device" may be rotates left and right with your detector sitting on it, that way you're scanning toward the left and right as well as the middle. That'd be cool.

Think of it like putting your detector on a coaster, for like coffee, and under the coaster is some kind of motor which rotates the radar detector.

Experienced

Default Re: A VERY Cool Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by mlyon83 View Post
    Is there something you can buy or know how to build which you can place on your front windshield, like you would the radar detector, only what ever this "mounting device" may be rotates left and right with your detector sitting on it, that way you're scanning toward the left and right as well as the middle. That'd be cool.

Think of it like putting your detector on a coaster, for like coffee, and under the coaster is some kind of motor which rotates the radar detector.

Pretty inventive thinking, The spectre uses a manual version of the rotating detector to ferret out particular detector signals. Not really needed though since a detector picks up signals from all sides. Might help in differentiating signal directions though.

Street Lawyer

That is a cool idea, sorta like a swivel fan motor or something that would have it constantly going left to right.. I wonder how much better performance you would have tho or what would happen when the RD is facing left and receiving a signal from the right. It's sounds cool in theory, but I think in the real world the chances of you getting a signal quicker based on direction vs the chances of you missing a signal while it was all tilt left or all tilt right would outweigh it's benefit and be detrimental to performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky225 View Post
    That is a cool idea, sorta like a swivel fan motor or something that would have it constantly going left to right.. I wonder how much better performance you would have tho or what would happen when the RD is facing left and receiving a signal from the right. It's sounds cool in theory, but I think in the real world the chances of you getting a signal quicker based on direction vs the chances of you missing a signal while it was all tilt left or all tilt right would outweigh it's benefit and be detrimental to performance.
    i was thinking the samr thing the other day...everyone talks about how its dificult to get adaquete warning around a curve. we have headlights on cars that follow a curve...we need radar detectors that move with the road to get good range around corners

Good Citizen

Yeah, going around curves is a pain in the ass. How about instead of a swivel motor, something that attaches to your steering wheel, and depending on the degree you turn it left or right, the detector moves in the direction of the curving. This logically would be easier to assemble in theory. Almost like a string attached to the R.D. Like an "automatic" dogleash that pulls the leash back in the closer the dog gets.

Radar Fanatic

Sounds good in theory. But what if you are scanning left when IO hit from the right and you miss that one little blip. 4 Cobras should do the trick. 3 in front, one facing forward, one left, one right and one facing back.

Radar Fanatic

I was thinking about this too awhile back. An autoswivel for curves would be awesome but i was thinking more realistically that you could have a manual swivel for when you are sitting at a stoplight and know that you are going to be turning down another street.