Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Power User

Default Veilguy's review of the 2009 SE models

Whistler Pro-78SE, XTR-695SE/XTR-690SE Review

I'm not sure if you guys have seen this, but Veilguy has posted a review of the new Whistlers.

The performance of Ka max surprised me in his encounters -- they came amazingly close to the premium grill-mount Belscorts, and IMO the ramp-up of the Whistlers was far superior.

He did have a bit of criticism for the (relative) X/K performance

All in all, it would seem to me like the SE's are more or less REV C Whistlers with noticeably improved Ka sensitivity and RSID/LSID. Given that Ka is a primary threat for a lot of us, this is certainly a great Whistler product that raises the bar for budget class detector performance!

Congrats, Whistler Team and keep up the great work!

Power User

Default Re: Veilguy's review of the 2009 SE models

Doesn't surprise me Whistler is not playing around anymore. I'm far more concerned about Ka band than x and K band. I wish there were videos of the 78 SE in action also. Looks like with Ka max Db's were increased to 5-6 db's which i assumed.
    Last edited by Jag42; 05-03-2009 at 01:51 PM.

Professional

It's good to see the new Whistlers up there with the others on Ka band. Now if only they would increase the sensitivity to K band as it is still a very real, major threat out there. If they could bring K band on par with Ka band then Whistler I think would be sitting on a gold mine with it.

I'm glad though to see how the new Whistlers perform and will continue to be a happy Whistler product user . Great job Mike B and the rest of the team at Whistler!

Professional

nice, great job whistler.

Speed Demon

Nice to see some great performance from these new Whistlers!

This should put to rest some of the people who were doubting these new models

Radar Fanatic

Looks promising... I would like to see some more testing done .

Good Citizen

Thumbs up Re: Veilguy's review of the 2009 SE models

Quote Originally Posted by jdong View Post
    Whistler Pro-78SE, XTR-695SE/XTR-690SE Review

I'm not sure if you guys have seen this, but Veilguy has posted a review of the new Whistlers.
    Thanks for posting that link! I always like VG's reviews, he does excellent real-world testing.

Newcomer

New to detectors in general, just recently purchased a xtr-695. Looking over Whistler's product line, I have a few questions.

1. From what I can tell, the only difference between the xtr-690[se] and xtr-695[se] is the multi-color display and primarily cosmetic touches.

2. What is the difference between the xtr-69x[se] series and the Pro-78[se] series?

3. I recall reading somewhere that Whistler has, in the past, allowed for a trade-in of old RD's on their new radar detectors. Is this true, or did I misunderstand something? [Edit: on a little bit more searching, I was able to answer my own question]

Thanks, I apologize if any of these questions had been answered elsewhere before.

Kevin
    Last edited by n1vek; 05-04-2009 at 01:31 AM.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by n1vek View Post
    New to detectors in general, just recently purchased a xtr-695. Looking over Whistler's product line, I have a few questions.

1. From what I can tell, the only difference between the xtr-690[se] and xtr-695[se] is the multi-color display and primarily cosmetic touches.

2. What is the difference between the xtr-69x[se] series and the Pro-78[se] series?

3. I recall reading somewhere that Whistler has, in the past, allowed for a trade-in of old RD's on their new radar detectors. Is this true, or did I misunderstand something? [Edit: on a little bit more searching, I was able to answer my own question]

Thanks, I apologize if any of these questions had been answered elsewhere before.

Kevin
    Hi n1vek, welcome to the forums.

1. You are right, one big difference between the 690 and the 695 would be the color displays. I believe the detection capabilities are the same, unless the 695 was given more sensativity to ka band than both the 78se and the 690se. Someone else may have to come in to confirm if I'm right on this or not.

2. The difference is that the Whistler 78se has a LED display. Which detector's display you prefer will be a matter of preference. There is absolutely no difference in detection capabilities between the two.

3. I have no idea. Someone else will after to answer this question.

On another note, looks like Whistler did it again. It looks like the Ka band reception is awesome. I'll personally be holding out until they improve x and k band performance since my 695 is overkill on ka band in my city. if I didn't have a 695 already I'd definatly be all over these models. Great job Whistler.
    Last edited by Divewjason; 05-04-2009 at 10:05 AM.

Banned

I think he shouldn't use more then one at a time to do a review