Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Scuff marks on new Blinder Heads

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK View Post
    Minor scratches don't matter at all. A deep pit or dig, if short, will merely moderately disperse the IR output from the IR emitter LED which is directly behind it. A strong haze with a visible glazing effect, caused by sand, would seriously deteriorate the performance of a jammer head. If your jammer heads have such a haze, then Meguire's "Plastix" and some elbow grease is a good solution. You don't have to get rid of all of the haze. Its best to go for simply getting rid of the majority of the haze as this will restore the jammer head's effectiveness to around 95 to 97 percent of optimal. If Meguire's isn't getting rid of the haze quick enough, then light wet sanding (and I mean wet as in lots of water) with 2000 grit sand paper should be done until about half the haze disappears. Then switch to Meguire's Plastix and be sure to do a final rinse with water when done.
    That is good to know as one of the heads on my M45 during install got smeared with plastic epoxy and even though I was very quick in wiping it off, it really hazed the lens. I've tested it along with the other 3 heads with an IR remote and it appears to trigger the same as the others, of course I have no idea if its output is as good as the other three. I'll definitely pick up some "Plastix" and see if I get the lens a little clearer. It happens to be a head that I had to epoxy into the grill, so removing it to replace the lens would be a real pain in the a**!

Silicone RTV sealant would be a much better choice than epoxy for gluing jammer heads into place. It adheres quite well to clean plastic and metal, but can be removed.

Silicone RTV sealant would be a much better choice than epoxy for gluing jammer heads into place. It adheres quite well to clean plastic and metal, but can be removed.
    Well, too late now. Live and learn. Seemed like a good idea at the time! ;-p

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by nbleadfoot99 View Post
    Well, too late now. Live and learn. Seemed like a good idea at the time! ;-p
    silicone wears off with time...

Question Re: Scuff marks on new Blinder Heads

Hopefully I'm not violating a forum rule by asking this question but...Meguiar's Plastix...where the heck is this stuff sold? I can find it on line but thought I may be able to pick it up at the local automotive store. No luck. And the Meguiar's site does not have any "Where to buy our product" link. Lovely. So, maybe a marine/boat store? Or should I just suck it up and order it on line?

Thanks!

I bought it my local Advance Auto Parts store.

Radar Fanatic

At work we have a kit for buffing out aircraft windows called Micro-Mesh. When I need to buff mine out Ill let you know how it works

I bought it my local Advance Auto Parts store.
    Hmmm, THAT was the store I went to today...well, I have a couple more that I can check. Love shopping! ;-p

Yoda of Radar

I got mine at Pep Boys.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

OK, got a Pep Boys and Discount Auto right next to each other...I'll check 'em out tomorrow...thanks!