Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Laser Interceptor for BMW 3 series in CA, but install in SC or GA

I emailed this to Cliff (coincidentally similar to my regular forum screen name), but I figured I'd also get responses from the combined braintrust of this forum.

I am considering buying a Laser Interceptor for a medium blue BMW 3 series. I live in CA, so I would like to only have 3 jammers to avoid getting a misdemeanor if caught. I do not have a front license plate.

To protect both the front and back, which would you recommend?

1) Buy Laser Interceptor Quad, and only install one in the back.

2) Buy Laser Interceptor Dual, and buy an additional sensor for the back at $275.

3) Buy Laser Interceptor HP Dual, and install one on front, one on back.

4) Buy Laser Interceptor HP Dual (both front), and buy additional sensor for back.

Also, I will be picking up the vehicle in Spartanburg, SC and driving back to CA. I would like to be protected for my drive cross country. Can you recommend any installers near Spartanburg or in Atlanta, GA (where I will be stopping for a day or two).

Is there an effectiveness difference between the regular and slim rear ones?

Also, every rear install I see is painfully obvious. Won't that attract a cop's attention even more? Front grill installs on the 3 series appear to be a bit tougher to detect during a casual glance, but how can you make the rear one less obvious?

Thanks!

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Laser Interceptor for BMW 3 series in CA, but install in SC or GA

Wait... what does having only three heads have to do with anything? Does your state have a four-strikes law or something?

I can't see the number of heads making any difference in that respect. The jammer is the CPU. The CPU is the gun. The heads are the bullets. Whether you have one head or six, you still only have one jammer.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Power User

Now, let me ask you a simple question, Is money an issue? what's your budget?

Good Citizen

If you can stealth the rear in your BMW then get the Quad, and I would recommend installing two in the back. Usually rear attacks do not happen, and you can spot the LEO ( in most cases) before he tags you.

There is no difference in between slim and regular effectiveness, the slims are designed for the rear.

Cliff should have a list of installers.

Tell the LEO its a parking sensor and toggle the kill switch to prove it to him, if you are ever in a troubling situation. Also, make sure you hit the killswitch or it will get very obvious that you are jamming if you are close ( <500 ft) and they cannot get a reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    Wait... what does having only three heads have to do with anything? Does your state have a four-strikes law or something?

I can't see the number of heads making any difference in that respect. The jammer is the CPU. The CPU is the gun. The heads are the bullets. Whether you have one head or six, you still only have one jammer.
    My research on this (and several other forums) seem to indicate that, in California, all laser jammers are illegal, however, getting caught with 4 or more jamming devices will result in a misdemeanor rather than just a "fix it" ticket. I'd like to stick with a "fix it" ticket.

I also have had the bad luck of receiving tickets for no front license plates while my car has been parked in a parking lot or side of the road, so I'd rather not have some random meter maid walk by and give him a misdemeanor ticket while I'm not even around.

Quote Originally Posted by lolfun12 View Post
    If you can stealth the rear in your BMW then get the Quad, and I would recommend installing two in the back.
    How would you "stealth the rear"? It seems really obvious, and I don't want to cut into the metal.

There is no difference in between slim and regular effectiveness, the slims are designed for the rear.
    If there is absolutely no difference why even have the regular ones? I'm sure no one in his/her right mind would ask "give me the bigger one please", right?

Tell the LEO its a parking sensor and toggle the kill switch to prove it to him, if you are ever in a troubling situation.
    I can do that for the front... unfortunately my car already has parking sensors in the back. Hopefully I can pull this off, but SoCal LEOs tend to familiar with modified vehicles.

Also, make sure you hit the killswitch or it will get very obvious that you are jamming if you are close ( <500 ft) and they cannot get a reading.
    Yup, will do! Thx!
    Last edited by CliffJumper; 04-17-2009 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by speed-dreams View Post
    Now, let me ask you a simple question, Is money an issue? what's your budget?
    Cost is not a huge issue, but I'm not someone who likes to throw away money when it's not necessary. I'm not trying to impress anyone with my jamming system, I just want it to be effective in real-world situations.
    Last edited by CliffJumper; 04-17-2009 at 11:31 PM.

Radar Fanatic

Getting caught with 4 devices, I'm not certain that applies to 4 heads or 4 complete kits.

I would get the dual LI for now and get that installed in the front. You can always

add 2 more heads later.

Also, do you have a radar detector already? The Valentine 1 and the LI is a great combo.

Power User

If you don't want to do veil and dont have much time for testing/adjustaments, get LI.
    BTW who said parking sensors are illegal in California?
    Last edited by Stealth Stalker; 04-18-2009 at 09:21 AM.

Good Citizen

The slim's are designed to fit into tighter spaces such as the rear of a car. They also have a slight difference in the way they jam ( I think the rears have a wider output?) There is no real way of stealthing the rear, I just meant, if you have a black car then attach them right under the rear latch for trunk and they will be hard to see.

Spank a V1 and an LI Dual or Quad and you will be set. Like I said previously, rear encounters are slim and so I wouldn't worry too much.

I don't think they can give you a misdeameaor ticket for having "4" laser jammers just by looking at the heads in the front and back. You can argue they are parking sensors for additional assistance, etc.

Spank a V1 and an LI Dual or Quad and you will be set. Like I said previously, rear encounters are slim and so I wouldn't worry too much.

I don't think they can give you a misdeameaor ticket for having "4" laser jammers just by looking at the heads in the front and back. You can argue they are parking sensors for additional assistance, etc.
    Yes, I've had a V1 for years. It's paid for itself several times over, but this time, I'll finally hardwire it, rather than keeping the cable hanging around.

Hmm.... I'll need to dig up the threads about CA and more than heads. I think even Cliff himself suggested running only one rear if someone was concerned about being caught in CA.
    Last edited by Stealth Stalker; 04-18-2009 at 09:22 AM.