Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default LI Dual installed in a Lotus Elise

I finally finished installing my Laser Interceptor dual head jamming system in my '08 Lotus Elise. With all the hanging upside down and contorting to fit my frame under the dash of the Elise, I think I need to make an appointment with the Chiropractor.

I'm putting this up to help guide any other brave souls that want to go this route.

Make sure you get good clean power. My first effort tried to tap into power from the stereo which was also sharing power with the V1. This lead to getting an error message ("sensor #2 is going bad" - quite frustrating). Cliff was very helpful in taking the sensor back, testing it and found it was OK. He told me that the processor inside needed a decent amount of power. I tried the unit on a second vehicle and it worked fine. My conclusion was that this unit was sensitive and needed good clean power.

Install:

Found fuses in the passenger side footwell and added a fuse tap to get a power connection without needing to splice into any wires. You can see how the tap connects to the spot where there was a fuse - just move it to the first position - then add a fuse for your needs. In this case, the tap provided switchable power.

Next, I mounted the "CPU" unit. This is where the sensors connect and the harness plugs in. You will see two harnesses power, ground and switching on the left and a Serial cable on the right. I'm using the serial cable to connect to a "parking assist" switch. Since this was also the port to connect to a computer, I wanted it to be accessible. Mounted next to the driver's side switch stack for easy access to the harnesses and sensor wires.

The switches were stealthly mounted inside the little cubby on the left of the steering wheel. The closest switch is the on/off switch and the one behind controls the "mode" of the unit - switching from JAM to Parking Assist.

Now to running the leads for the transceivers. I used the included hardware and found mounting positions just inside the front grill. I removed the two outside clip tabs to accommodate the sensors. The grill still mounts securely using the two inboard top clips. The brackets were screwed into the fiberglass using the included screws. I still need to black out the rivets.

All of the exposed wiring was covered in mesh wire loom and zip tied. Here you can see the wire routing to the rear and up in the foam padding gap around the radiator. I used some stiff wire to fish the sensor wires up.

This is where the sensor wires come up through the space by the foam gasket. Zip tied town and routed to the drivers side.

Now to get the sensor wires into the cabin. I drilled a 1/2" hole in the firewall straight down from this hole in the plastic part (next to the brake fluid reservoir). I used a grommet to protect the wires and fill the hole. The sensor wires then connect to the back of the CPU.

Here is the finished view of the sensors up front. You have to get down low to see them. At this point, I hit them with my laser rangefinder that I use for golf - after hitting each, I hear the alarm followed by "unknown gun". Success!

Hope this helps anyone thinking of doing this. BTW - I used the 10% discount code provided in this forum - thanks! Now its time to hit the streets and see if this saves my bacon.

Professional

Default Re: LI Dual installed in a Lotus Elise

This is an awesome writeup. Great job on that! This is going to make some other Elise owners very happy.

Advanced Member

Nice install. With the heads mounted recessed like that, bubbles in, was the proper orientation. Even though this gives the heads protection from sun interference, I still believe it sacrifices a bit of total performance. Flush to the bumper lip with the bubbles out would have been optimum. But on a car with such a tiny profile, you'll be fine. Great job and I too hope that this tutorial will help other Lotus enthusiasts.

Ps. Forza Ducati my brother.
    Puma Power!!!
    Don't be a lemming!! Follow your own destiny!!!

Ducati Team 2013 FORZA DUCATI!!!!

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by PMoth View Post
    Nice install. With the heads mounted recessed like that, bubbles in, was the proper orientation. Even though this gives the heads protection from sun interference, I still believe it sacrifices a bit of total performance. Flush to the bumper lip with the bubbles out would have been optimum. But on a car with such a tiny profile, you'll be fine. Great job and I too hope that this tutorial will help other Lotus enthusiasts.

Ps. Forza Ducati my brother.
    Good point - if needed, I might flip them over to have the bubbles out.

Power User

NICE!, but flip them asap.

Power User

Nice car and nice install.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
    +1

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Nice car and nice install.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
    +1
    OK, OK - I just finished flipping them. Now I don't feel vulnerable from those overpass shots.

Newcomer

Very nice, I can't wait until I order mine.

Speed Demon

Great write up and sweet install. I'd get that car tested a.s.a.p. Since the headlights on the lotus wrap around a lot, I can definitely see some PT's due to the lower and recessed installation. I could be wrong, but only testing will tell.

Newcomer

I almost had it tested today -- as I was getting ready to exit the freeway, I pulled into the merge lane (merge on from a ramp I just passed -- merge off ahead) I had punched it and could have easily been 80mph+. I look up an notice a LEO in the divide ahead (basically directly ahead of me < 200 yards). No LI alert / no V1 alert - throw out the anchor and pass him (on my left) as I exit the freeway. I look back and he's backing up and headed my way. CRAP!

He's not in a hurry and eventually goes in a different direction. He must have been looking at freeway traffic and got bored. After that I went and bought a lottery ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by atticuss187 View Post
    Great write up and sweet install. I'd get that car tested a.s.a.p. Since the headlights on the lotus wrap around a lot, I can definitely see some PT's due to the lower and recessed installation. I could be wrong, but only testing will tell.
    What's the best way to get the car tested? I don't know anyone local that is into this stuff.