Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hi KustomEagle,

Your thinking is along the exact same lines as my thinking -- especially your observations about the optics built into laser guns.

I would also like to know how this turns out and where it could lead. Sometimes it seems to me that the software is the most important part of the whole system. The physical parts that make up the system could be off the shelf.

I've learned that power isn't everything. Military jammers are powerful but some of the most effective techniques use very low power. Your algorithm sounds good on paper but I'm betting if the gun is getting truly random range readings, it'll throw a jam code. The trick is to allow the gun to compute ranges that are within a set gate but not enough to allow it to determine precise speed. Jamming laser guns is actually quite easy, look no further than the Lidatek. The problem is, the Lidatek jamming is simple to detect and that is unacceptable to drivers in countries/states where jamming is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by dTardis
    I would also like to know how this turns out and where it could lead. Sometimes it seems to me that the software is the most important part of the whole system. The physical parts that make up the system could be off the shelf.
    I agree. The software is the key. If a lidar gun is targeted directly at a jammer head which is controlled by good software, then I bet that the lidar gun could be jammed fairly close to the gun. This basically is the premise and my thinking behind this entire thread, and why it occurred to me that simply adding separate very high power IR LED emitters which are driven via op-amp circuitry to mimic the output from the existing jammer LEDs should theoretically work.

I am still working on putting all of the math for laser gun output power, avg. license plate reflectivity, headlight and taillight reflectivities, jamming power, et cetera, into spreadsheets and creating graphics to explain the necessary power output to JTG at up to 30 degree off-axis angles. I have gathered the info for some ideal high power LED emitters which require heat sinks, plus the custom lens shapes to evenly distribute the output IR radiation over a +/-30 degree angle. I am really busy with work, but hopefully I will have the time to put all of the stuff together and post everything sometime during the next several days. My goal is to fully explain everything so that everyone can check for any flaws in what I present. If, after all flaws in logic or errors in my math have been discovered and addressed, then maybe somebody with electronics expertise will build an op-amp signal follower to drive a pair of the custom mounted ultra high power LEDs which I have found.

Good Citizen

Why is it you want to use Op Amps? You are looking for drive power not high gain, high input impedance etc.

If I understand what you are trying to do you are going to just use the pulse train already generated in the jammer and use it to switch higher power light emitters. This requires power drivers not op amps which usually are not rated for much drive current.

There are all kinds of multiple drivers in a package devices around these days. It would be hard to find anything that wouldn't be fast enough. Your switching speed requirements will be quite low.

Quote Originally Posted by ronsc1985 View Post
    Why is it you want to use Op Amps? You are looking for drive power not high gain, high input impedance etc.

If I understand what you are trying to do you are going to just use the pulse train already generated in the jammer and use it to switch higher power light emitters. This requires power drivers not op amps which usually are not rated for much drive current.

There are all kinds of multiple drivers in a package devices around these days. It would be hard to find anything that wouldn't be fast enough. Your switching speed requirements will be quite low.
    I see what you are saying. I could simply do it with transistors which are fairly high speed and which can handle a fair amount of current.

I suggested your proposed approach a few months ago, but have been too busy to do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK View Post
    I have gathered the info for some ideal high power LED emitters which require heat sinks...
    Doubt you would need any kind of serious heatsinks. An 1/16" aluminum plate would probably suffice. I use high power LEDs all the time in custom systems and at the kind of duty cycle we are discussing, there won't be much power to dissipate. Once you figure out which LEDs and the expected duty cycle and drive power, I can help you figure out what kind of heat sink you will need.

Meta

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysics View Post
    I suggested your proposed approach a few months ago, but have been too busy to do anything about it.
    Here's the thread:
    http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...r-upgrade.html

I made some comments there which also apply to this thread.