Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default X BAND IN INDIANA

Is X band used in Indiana? You bet it is. The Hancock Co. Sheriff has it. They are located just east of Indy and patrol I-70 along with the State Police. I have seen a few K-55 X band radars in the Indiana State Police in Hamilton County and in Marion County. The State Police are migrating toward Ka band with some K band units, but I would not turn off my X band just yet. There are also some counties up north using X band.

K band is the most common radar in Hamilton County. The local cops there seem to have stopped using X band for now. A lot of the small towns do have Ka band. The use of Ka band is increasing but K is still the most common.

Laser is used mostly by the State Police, and even then not so often. Noblesville Police have a laser. They don't use it that often, and when they do, they sit way off the road and use the VASCAR-like feature. They measure a distance between two landmarks, then sit far back off the road and time vehicles between the landmarks. I think it is the Kustom ProLaser II that has this feature.

I have seen no POP mode in Central Indiana at all.

What do you other Indiana members see as far as radar and laser speed traps?

GTO_04

Newcomer

I was driving through Indy last weekend and picked up a LEO running X band as well. It was a state cop just sitting on the side of the road a bit north of Indy on Interstate 69. He was just chillin in his car reading, didn't look too eager to pull over anyone.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MSUbball
    I was driving through Indy last weekend and picked up a LEO running X band as well. It was a state cop just sitting on the side of the road a bit north of Indy on Interstate 69. He was just chillin in his car reading, didn't look too eager to pull over anyone.
    That's the same place where I my last X band encounter. It must be very lucrative.

GTO_04

Professional

How far north of Indy are we talking on I-69?
    I know the area from 82nd street and Castleton all the way thru Noblesville that area is full of alarms and automatic doors.
    Just want to know more!

Radar Fanatic

I saw my X band source just north of 116th Street. Almost all of the false alarms in that area are X band.

BTW, Fishers PD also patrols I-69 from 96th St. up to almost the 10 mile marker, and they are very aggressive about it. They use K band and also have a white unmarked Camaro.

GTO_04

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04
    I saw my X band source just north of 116th Street. Almost all of the false alarms in that area are X band.

BTW, Fishers PD also patrols I-69 from 96th St. up to almost the 10 mile marker, and they are very aggressive about it. They use K band and also have a white unmarked Camaro.

GTO_04
    Are you sure it was a legit threat on the X band, I know that area and it is full of x band falses, that is why I am asking I know some LEO's just sit on the side of the road as a deterent and to make a presence without ever running radar.
    I did not know Fishers used a camaro I know the state boys used to. I will keep that in mind! Thanks for the tip!

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by boomerman

GTO_04
    Are you sure it was a legit threat on the X band, I know that area and it is full of x band falses, that is why I am asking I know some LEO's just sit on the side of the road as a deterent and to make a presence without ever running radar.
    I did not know Fishers used a camaro I know the state boys used to. I will keep that in mind! Thanks for the tip!
    You're welcome. The have been running a drone X band radar in that area. You can tell it's real radar by the alert pattern and the signal is much stronger too.

Yes, ISP does/did have a Camaro and it is also white. They are both 4th generation with the new style headlights. I have not seen the Camaro in awhile but that doesn't mean they don't still have it.

GTO_04

Newcomer

Does ISP only use radar, or do they use K band too? Im an IU alum, and used to travel the US-37 stretch between Bloomington and Indy all to often. Besides the occasional burst of laser from Indy International, I never once received a laser alert from ISP, but bear in mind this was about 1 year ago.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by RapedApe
    Does ISP only use radar, or do they use K band too? Im an IU alum, and used to travel the US-37 stretch between Bloomington and Indy all to often. Besides the occasional burst of laser from Indy International, I never once received a laser alert from ISP, but bear in mind this was about 1 year ago.
    ISP does use laser, but radar is more commonly used. Someone else posted that they have seen them use laser on SR37 near Bloomington. BTW, that is one of the top spots in the state for number of speeding tickets written. They usually use K and Ka band radar. Based on what I've seen lately there is more Ka. But every once in awhile you will see some K-55 X band. There is usually only one laser unit per State Police post, which covers 3 counties.

Today, the Indianapolis area, they are using laser on a "train detail" to catch people driving over RR tracks right in front of trains. They use the laser to show how far away the train is when the car pulls out in front of it. This helps to build a court case if necessary. This is also done periodically in Madison Co. (Anderson) The State Fair Train is running this week hence the increased enforcement activity.

There has also been some X band radar used by Marion Co. Sheriff in Indianapolis. They are usually MV-715 and those can be detected at very long range, especially with a V1.

GTO_04

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by RapedApe
    ISP does use laser, but radar is more commonly used. Someone else posted that they have seen them use laser on SR37 near Bloomington. BTW, that is one of the top spots in the state for number of speeding tickets written. They usually use K and Ka band radar. Based on what I've seen lately there is more Ka. But every once in awhile you will see some K-55 X band. There is usually only one laser unit per State Police post, which covers 3 counties.

Today, the Indianapolis area, they are using laser on a "train detail" to catch people driving over RR tracks right in front of trains. They use the laser to show how far away the train is when the car pulls out in front of it. This helps to build a court case if necessary. This is also done periodically in Madison Co. (Anderson) The State Fair Train is running this week hence the increased enforcement activity.

There has also been some X band radar used by Marion Co. Sheriff in Indianapolis. They are usually MV-715 and those can be detected at very long range, especially with a V1.

GTO_04
    Yeah, Ive gotten two tickets in the last 4 years on the stretch of 37 between indy and btown (both when my radar detector was down). Oddly enough neither were state cops. One was a Martinsville cop, and the other was from a Sherif on the southside almost to the loop.