4 21.05%
  • yes

12 63.16%
  • no

3 15.79%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lead Foot
    Austin, Texas/ Greenville, South Carolina

Default Cool idea for a detector test... anyone?

So I was thinking, we are always telling people to have a rabbit, especially in an area where there is no easy way to spot a cop hiding with his gun in stand-by mode.
    So here is my idea, have a rabbit and a chase car driving a course similar to the original GOL test course with the curve and such. Have the rabbit drive the course at at least 5 over PSL and then have a chase car with the detector being tested following at the same speed perhaps 1/8 to 1/4 mile behind or whatever the typical following distance would be in the given situation. Then when the rabbit is in range transmit just long enough to get a speed lock and then back into standby. Then the results would be judged by which detector alerted and at what level as opposed to distance from the cruiser. I know this would be difficult from a repeatability standpoint but it would be as close to real world as we really could get.
    I dunno, just throwing this out there seeing if anyone wants to or has already done this.

Good Citizen

that would be really awsome.. if i had a radar gun, i would test this..
    and i would love to see it tested..

Professional

I think the problem would be replicating it with each detector at the same distance each time.

Radar Fanatic

helluvan idea :!:

Radar Fanatic

Couldnt you just park the cars at set distances and shoot radar at the first car, then just switch RD's in the chase car every time?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by DogGod
    Couldnt you just park the cars at set distances and shoot radar at the first car, then just switch RD's in the chase car every time?
    makes better sense to do this than try to time it right every time the other way around......

Radar Fanatic

Like you said, it's also a good idea to hold the trigger just long enough to get a reading then going back to standby.

Having the cars stationary at set distances might be more practical, then you just have to switch RDs. I would also repeat the test at a longer distance, maybe a half mile or a mile. That would be a good way to evaluate instant on performance on weaker, more distant signals.

GTO_04

Old Timer

Default but

But having so many different models to test, makes me need to know which one to test first. Probably one of the lower end models.

Power User

sitting cars just dont get the point across......... but then again there are plenty of factors making a mobile test more difficult, but it is for that very reason that I cant accept a stationary test to represent moving data

Lead Foot
    Austin, Texas/ Greenville, South Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi666
    sitting cars just dont get the point across......... but then again there are plenty of factors making a mobile test more difficult, but it is for that very reason that I cant accept a stationary test to represent moving data
    yeah the reason I said moving, and at a normal supra legal speed at that because a lot of detectors, not just the V1 have delay filters and so the moving test would really stress that because at 55mph 1 second of delayed reaction could be disasterous in the close quarters of a winding road...

The consensous seems to be that it wouldnt be practical but maybe just for grins and not necessarily to take scientific data, make one pass for each detector and simply record if it alerted to the instant on, and if so how strong of an alert. Just a sort of who's who shootout after all, you dont get to make multiple passes in a real world situation... well that is for most of the public who arent obsessed