Newcomer

Default Remote Display Mute Problem ?......Help !

I just got my remote display installed into my 06' GTI at a car stereo shop yesterday and the remote display mute button doesn't mute when you hit it.
    I have fooled with the main V1 unit and made sure the muted volume slider was set low...
    I tried fooling with the rubber button on the remote display to see if I needed to hit it harder or to the left or right...that didn't work.
    I did notice that the shop that installed it swapped the RJ11 cables around, and used the RJ11 cable that came with the remote display, for the main V1 unit, and they used the RJ11 cable from the main V1 unit to the remote display. Other than the little connectors on the ends, is there any difference in those 2 cables that would cause this problem ?
    Any help on this would be appreciated. I can't figure out why my mute won't work on the remote display, everything else works fine.

[/b]

Advanced Member

The cables are the same...

Connect your V1 with your regular plug-in lighter adapter, and connect your remote display using the short cable. If mute works with that setup, then there is a problem with the wiring done by the stereo shop.

Speed Demon

Make sure that all phone cords are 4 line and connected properly.

Power User

Default Re: Remote Display Mute Problem ?......Help !

Quote Originally Posted by rippinrider
    I just got my remote display installed into my 06' GTI at a car stereo shop yesterday and the remote display mute button doesn't mute when you hit it.
    I have fooled with the main V1 unit and made sure the muted volume slider was set low...
    I tried fooling with the rubber button on the remote display to see if I needed to hit it harder or to the left or right...that didn't work.
    I did notice that the shop that installed it swapped the RJ11 cables around, and used the RJ11 cable that came with the remote display, for the main V1 unit, and they used the RJ11 cable from the main V1 unit to the remote display. Other than the little connectors on the ends, is there any difference in those 2 cables that would cause this problem ?
    Any help on this would be appreciated. I can't figure out why my mute won't work on the remote display, everything else works fine.

[/b]
    This is why I do all install's myself! :mrgreen:

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by vw242
    Make sure that all phone cords are 4 line and connected properly.
    Make sure they are 4 lines and that they used 6-pin connectors. A 4-pin connector might work but even so it's a sloppy fit and might not always make the connections properly. I just installed my remote display a few weeks ago using the cables as supplied by VR and the mute button works as it should.

Radar Fanatic

so whats the update? did you get it working?

and btw, vw242, are those the reflection of the arrows on the zombie's glasses :shock:

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    The cables are the same...

Connect your V1 with your regular plug-in lighter adapter, and connect your remote display using the short cable. If mute works with that setup, then there is a problem with the wiring done by the stereo shop.
    Connecting it this way. I got it to work. The cables work fine when swapped around in every combination. The problem seems to be the direct-wire adapter. It's the original one, I've had for 6-7 years. I ordered another one from VR today and will update on the final status once it arrives. Thank you for the information. What a frustrating problem to have with a new remote display I purchased from Lifespeed and was anxious to get it installed and working properly in my new ride.

Newcomer

I replaced the direct wire adapter with a new one and it fixed the problem. The mute on the remote display works now.