Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default How to check if Pro-78 is Rev C

just got mine back from "updating"

i remember (before sending it out) i would hold Quiet while powering it on to check the revision, but now it just says Whistler, and nothing else..

anyone know how to check with the new Revision C?

Experienced

Hold the city button down and plug in the power cord.

Good Citizen

yea i just found it in the other Pro-78 update thread, it is indeed Rev. C

i understand there are no performance updates for it in the USA (i live in NYC)

is there an official word on what updates there are (if at all) for the US residents?

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by LOUISSSSS
    yea i just found it in the other Pro-78 update thread, it is indeed Rev. C

i understand there are no performance updates for it in the USA (i live in NYC)

is there an official word on what updates there are (if at all) for the US residents?
    There is an increase in range on KA band if you have POP turned off. With POP off, you get better range and a lot fewer false alerts on KA.
    In fact, Ovencleaner on here did a test with a Cobra (the main units that cause false alerts on higher-end detectors), and with the Whistler set on Filter 2 mode and POP off, the Cobra didn't cause the Pro 78 to false at all.

Also, I hear there have been some more false alert signatures added to the Rev. C software, so even fewer false alarms.

Hope this helps.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmman89

There is an increase in range on KA band if you have POP turned off. With POP off, you get better range and a lot fewer false alerts on KA.
    In fact, Ovencleaner on here did a test with a Cobra (the main units that cause false alerts on higher-end detectors), and with the Whistler set on Filter 2 mode and POP off, the Cobra didn't cause the Pro 78 to false at all.

Also, I hear there have been some more false alert signatures added to the Rev. C software, so even fewer false alarms.

Hope this helps.
    but in the USA shouldn't i keep POP on? i'm very newb to all this RD tech stuff.

with POP (+ all other settings on) will i see the same exact performance/falses as Rev A or B?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmman89

Hope this helps.
    but in the USA shouldn't i keep POP on? i'm very newb to all this RD tech stuff.

with POP (+ all other settings on) will i see the same exact performance/falses as Rev A or B?
    plain and simple, get REV C.
    and "Think POP as POOP"
    you can't get ticketed if a leo using POP to calculate your speed.

Good Citizen

wait.. so what exactly is POP? isn't it something like Instant On Radar?

who leaves it on in the US?

Professional

pop isnt instant on, u can safely turn off pop. trust me lot of members up here know their stuff very well... 99.9% of the time they give correct RD settings.

pop cause more ka falsing from other detctors, hence we all turn it off.

Good Citizen

okayy pop is going off.. but just to be sure.. are you from the USA and use POP OFF?

Power User

okayy pop is going off.. but just to be sure.. are you from the USA and use POP OFF?
    Most of us are from the USA and have POP OFF. POP is a mode on MPH radar guns specifically designed to escape radar detectors by sending a burst of radar most detectors won't see or dismiss it as a false.

Reliable POP detection without falsing to every little blip of electronic noise requires a detector to carefully track harmonics of POP candidate signals, which the top boys like the V1 and 9500i seem to do fine (for example, I've been running my V1 with POP ON and get about a false every 50-100 miles of driving tops)

However, one cannot expect a lower-cost detector like the Pro-78 to do the same, and I can barely get within a mile of my old high school parking lot without my XTR-690 going beserk with POP alerts. Therefore, we recommend turning POP OFF.

As far as whether or not POP is used, that's a very difficult question to answer. So far we have very little evidence either way. But if turning on POP will make your detector freak out at every radar detector in a 2-mile radius, it's definitely better turned off.

Bottom line: for the Pro-78 just turn POP off.