Default Radar / Laser in Northern California

I just purchased an RX-65 (firmware 6.1) and live in the N. Cal Bay area.

Drive anywhere from Carmel to Silicon Valley to San Francisco to Lake Tahoe.

Can anyone advise me on what LEOs use up here? I've heard Ka, almost exclusively. I'm thinking of getting a Blinder M40 system for Laser, but if it's not used up here don't want to waste the money. Also, I'd love to shut X off if it's never used, and have no idea what Ka band choice to make, or if POP is an issue.

My current settings:

X: off
    K: on
    Ka: USA (should it be Intl???)
    POP: on
    Ku: on (probably not needed???)
    Laser: on

Thanks!!!!

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Radar / Laser in Northern California

Quote Originally Posted by adamsfbay
    I just purchased an RX-65 (firmware 6.1) and live in the N. Cal Bay area.

Drive anywhere from Carmel to Silicon Valley to San Francisco to Lake Tahoe.

Can anyone advise me on what LEOs use up here? I've heard Ka, almost exclusively. I'm thinking of getting a Blinder M40 system for Laser, but if it's not used up here don't want to waste the money. Also, I'd love to shut X off if it's never used, and have no idea what Ka band choice to make, or if POP is an issue.

My current settings:

X: off
    K: on
    Ka: USA (should it be Intl???)
    POP: on
    Ku: on (probably not needed???)
    Laser: on

Thanks!!!!
    Turn KA to USA and turn KU OFF...and POP is a push between being off or on

Professional

Adamsfbay,

I live in S Cali and can confirm that the CHP use KA exclusively. But some city LEO's may use K band, so watch out. X band is not used in Cali anywhere so it is safe to turn off. POP can give more unwanted falses so best to turn off. Laser as last I read is being "tested" but not actually being widely used, so I say save for a jammer (Illegal in CA just so you know) and wait until it becomes a more imminent threat. KU is a big OFF, not used in the USA for radar at all. Hope this helps you out!

Sincerely,

Ace_Racer

Thanks, Ace. Should I go with Ka - USA only or keep it INTL in case CHP uses Ka alternative frequencies???

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_Racer
    Adamsfbay,

I live in S Cali and can confirm that the CHP use KA exclusively. But some city LEO's may use K band, so watch out. X band is not used in Cali anywhere so it is safe to turn off. POP can give more unwanted falses so best to turn off. Laser as last I read is being "tested" but not actually being widely used, so I say save for a jammer (Illegal in CA just so you know) and wait until it becomes a more imminent threat. KU is a big OFF, not used in the USA for radar at all. Hope this helps you out!

Sincerely,

Ace_Racer

Professional

Thanks, Ace. Should I go with Ka - USA only or keep it INTL in case CHP uses Ka alternative frequencies???

Adamsfbay,

Sincerely,

Ace_Racer
    Keep it in USA mode because keeping it in Intl will cost you some detection time because it will be looking for extra frequencies that the CHP do not use. I used to think having it in Intl mode would give me extra protection but as I learned from Jimbonzz(Site Admin) it actually does the opposite which is hurt you more than help.

Ace

Professional

Adamsfbay,

Sincerely,

Ace_Racer
    Keep it in USA mode because keeping it in Intl will cost you some detection time because it will be looking for extra frequencies that the CHP do not use. I used to think having it in Intl mode would give me extra protection but as I learned from Jimbonzz(Site Admin) it actually does the opposite which is hurt you more than help.

Ace
    Listen to Ace, when it comes to the rx65 i would have to say he is the top dog IMO