Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X50 for the dad

Radar Fanatic

Default X50 for the dad

Alright, my Dad's birthday is right around the corner. I just learned that he's been having some trouble keeping the law at bay in his new car, and is interested in giving a detector a shot. I've pretty much settled on getting him an X50 and a direct wire kit since that seems like a good match for his driving habits. (Outrun's video basically sold me since laser detection was my only real worry.) You guys think this is a good decision? I'm not too worried about SML results since it sounds like the next big thing is pretty far out on the horizon.

Old Timer

Well, if laser is your main concern- I would buy a jammer & a crappy radar detector.

Then again, I live in ohio where I have only seen radar on the highway 2 times. Not to sure how often laser is used out in your area.

Radar Fanatic

Sorry...the way I wrote that was messed up. My main concern is radar since he does most of his driving in New England and New York. He will probably encounter laser but not all that often at this point. I don't want to get him something that has terrible laser detection, and I meant to say that Outrun's video proved to me that the X50 is quite capable in that area.

I'd get him a V1 since I know it's a great detector but I think he does enough around-town driving that the filtering on the X50 would be worth it.

Old Timer

I would DEF go with the x50 if he is going to be doing city driving as well.
    V1 in new york would be pointless...

Radar Fanatic

Upstate New York, not NYC. But still my parents live in a pretty thick suburban location. Loads and loads of door openers to pick up on.

Lead Foot

Hey Brick, go out on a limb and get him the RX65. It may just surprise him.

Radar Fanatic

I would think that since X50 and RX65 basically have the same guts inside that they would alert about the same?
    The only real difference would be the tones and looks of the unit.
    Buy both and send back the looser.
    If your dad has never used a detector before he will probably never play with the controls so dial in his programming with city filters.
    Let your dad decide on which unit but if it is false territory I would keep the V1 away from the new guy.

Radar Fanatic

Getting both and sending one back is an idea, but I feel like that would just be a pain for him. The other thing about the RX65 that might be a concern is the display. I know that he's going to want to mount it high to make it less obvious and I've heard that the angle of the display makes the Bel harder to read. RX65 has Ku but who knows whether or not that will actually be an issue. And X50 can display more threats at once, right?

I think I'll go ahead and order the X50 and just tell him that he has time to decide if he doesn't like it.

Yoda of Radar

Lots of laser and instant-Ka in upstate NY.

Old Timer

and X50 can display more threats at once, right?
    Correct. The rx65 can display one of each band, while the x50 can display 2K 2KA and 4 X at the same time.