Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    591

    Default driving around with the 9500ix for a couple days

    Yes.. I gave in and bought one even tho I dislike Escort from my past experience with them, and only because I spent way under 500, It was on sale for $475 at best buy, along with the 10% off coupon and the 10 dollars off because it was not ready when I got there, so $418 plus tax I couldnt pass

    Anyways, I been driving around with a 9500ix for a couple days now and I must say this is a 300% improvement over the 9500i.

    Both of my 9500i radar detectors were very bad and I will explain.

    True-lock, was bad, it locked out real threats numerous times, proven over and over again.
    Auto-mute was bad, hard to get it to work. you had to have the volume very low in order to try mute it.
    I was losing GPS signal 10 plus times on daily bases.
    Auto-Volume was not working at all period.
    The red light locations alerts were annoying as hell, I would get them up to 5500 feet driving in parallel to the location.
    Range wise was not impressive at all either.
    my V1 would alert 5 to 20 seconds ahead (when I ran them together and separate)


    The new 9500ix experience:

    True-lock, I haven't seen any real threats right now this one will take time to test.
    Auto-mute works perfect.
    I haven't lost GPS signal once, in 2 trips to phoenix already.
    Auto-Volume works correctly.
    Range.. its up to par with my V1, pretty amazing I might add, on the highway it alerted me with Ka band 30 seconds prior to the V1!!
    I went back past the LEO 3 times, once with the V1 on, once with the ix and once with both on and I got the same results.
    The auto-lock will do just fine for me, being in a town that I know pretty much all of the false locations.

    I have one complain, and I am sure it will be fixed.
    Its the short range alert for the red light cameras.
    I am almost up on the intersection when it tells me you have reached your mark location.
    I would like at least 1/4 if not 1/2 mile warning.

    I guess the ix is a finished 9500i,
    now.... if it only had arrows
    Last edited by SlapMyFro; 10-30-2008 at 06:57 PM.

  2. #2
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,078

    Default Re: driving around with the 9500ix for a couple days

    Yeah I've been throwing around the idea of getting one to play with, but I can't make it yet financially. It does look like a fun toy though.

  3. #3

    Default Re: driving around with the 9500ix for a couple days

    Quote Originally Posted by xoleras View Post
    Yes.. I gave in and bought one even tho I dislike Escort from my past experience with them, and only because I spent way under 500, It was on sale for $475 at best buy, with the 10% off coupon and the 10 dollars off because it was not ready when I got there.
    Damn! Great deal!

  4. #4
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    SoCal - OC Style
    Posts
    2,478

    Default Re: driving around with the 9500ix for a couple days

    Quote Originally Posted by xoleras View Post

    The new 9500ix experience:

    True-lock, I haven't seen any real threats right now this one will take time to test.
    Auto-mute actually works perfect, pretty amazing.
    haven't lost GPS signal once, in 2 trips to phoenix already.
    Auto-Volume actually works correctly.
    Range.. its up to par with my V1, pretty amazing I might add, on the highway it alerted me with Ka band 30 seconds prior to the V1!!
    I went back past the LEO 3 times, once with the V1 on, once with the ix and once with both on and I got the same results.
    The auto-lock will do just fine for me, being in a town that I know pretty much all of the false locations.

    I have one complain, and I am sure it will be fixed.
    Its the short range alert for the red light cameras.
    I am almost up on the intersection when it tells me you have reached your mark location.
    I would like at least 1/4 if not 1/2 mile warning.

    I guess the ix is a finished 9500i product, if it only had arrows
    I agree with this summary of the 9500ix as well. I can't comment on autovolume (since I have never used it) and the head to head with the V1 (since I don't have one currently). The rest of your review is spot on. I've been using mine a couple of weeks so far too and love it.

    I definitely agree about the red light cameras ... the alert distance is too short. I notice that I sometimes get the first alert with I'm nearly right next to the camera, and the detector will show 200 feet ahead (I don't know if this is the 9500ix, GPS lag, or the Trinity Database being slightly off). I suspect it's the database, because sometimes my range "coming back" is farther than my range going ... I still need to test this more however.

    Since I never use autovolume ... does it raise the volume past max if you have the 9500ix already set on "max volume?" I would think not, but I'm curious. I have a convertible and two loud cars, so the louder the better.

    Do you know the frequency of the Ka hit you got that was so much better than your V1? I need 34.7 the most here in SoCal. ;-)

  5. #5
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    591

    Default Re: driving around with the 9500ix for a couple days

    no, I didnt have it on freq meter, just expert.
    But I do now, I will make sure I take notes on which K is better than the V1.

    About the auto-volume, it will be as loud as you set it, I have mine 3/4 up and it wont be louder than that no matter what.
    But it gets down to almost a whisper when there is no noise in the car.
    I really like that a lot
    Last edited by SlapMyFro; 10-30-2008 at 06:51 PM.

  6. #6
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles Area
    Posts
    13,879

    Default Re: driving around with the 9500ix for a couple days

    Quote Originally Posted by xoleras View Post
    no, I didnt have it on freq meter, just expert.
    But I do now, I will make sure I take notes on which K is better than the V1.

    About the auto-volume, it will be as loud as you set it, I have mine 3/4 up and it wont be louder than that no matter what.
    But it gets down to almost a whisper when there is no noise in the car.
    I really like that a lot
    Just curious as to what you think of the rampup. Also, just a comment. Neither my 9500ix nor my brother's 9500ix have any more range than my old 9500i did. I'm wondering if you got a bad unit or two, or if Escort had improved the 9500i performance between the time you bought yours and the time I bought mine.

  7. #7
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    591

    Default Re: driving around with the 9500ix for a couple days

    ramp up seems to be fine.
    I got my 9500is directly from Escort, first was the red one, I was early may and the blue one about 45 days later.
    If I owned just one of them I would had second thoughts right now, but 2 of them its kind of strange but possible I guess.
    It doesn't make sense at all to be such a great improvement from the i to ix, but its not even the same sport.

    Bottom line is I am spoiled to the arrows, but this thing is simply amazing so far.
    I might just spend the money and get the 9500CI and use that and the v1 as a back up for the arrows.

    Not sure yet.

    Is it a pain in the ass to install the Ci? or is it easy to do at home?

    The reason I am asking is I asked a local dealer about it and they want 2700 dollars installed, (including the 9500ci) but that seems to be a lot for installation.
    Last edited by SlapMyFro; 10-30-2008 at 10:54 PM.

  8. #8
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: driving around with the 9500ix for a couple days

    Quote Originally Posted by xoleras View Post
    The reason I am asking is I asked a local dealer about it and they want 2700 dollars installed, (including the 9500ci) but that seems to be a lot for installation.
    That appears to be a very high price.
    Last edited by robert2617; 11-02-2008 at 09:44 PM.

  9. #9
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    591

    Default Re: driving around with the 9500ix for a couple days

    I know, I wont spend so much for an installation.
    I am curious though if I can do it my self.
    I installed alot of car audio/alarms in my earlier days

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    9,496

    Default Re: driving around with the 9500ix for a couple days

    Quote Originally Posted by xoleras View Post
    I know, I wont spend so much for an installation.
    I am curious though if I can do it my self.
    I installed alot of car audio/alarms in my earlier days
    Should have no problem, and it may actually be fun. you have good weather 90% of the time so take your time doing it.

    I'm glad you tried a 9500 again, (also glad you only tried 1 this time) Even i had one 9500I that didn't preform up to snuff. (I fully tested 3 from different time periods)
    I have a feeling the ix has some improvements to decrease variance in there 9500 series, there was a lot of inconsistency's with the first 9500I's.

    Still be smart with TrueLock, its the same technology with only some minor refinements.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Joined a couple days ago
    By gowhere? in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-19-2010, 01:26 PM
  2. Received my Whistler XTR-560 a couple of days ago
    By snoopy3525 in forum Whistler
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-11-2006, 10:02 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •