Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Power User

Default Re: Redline 11 miler

It seems very possible that you could get 11 miles of detection with the Redline in this terrain.

Hell, I got 4.5-5.5 miles of Ka band detection on a 2 lane bridge full of cars and hills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alW_inV-BUM

Banned

I think the main point of this thread is clear: Redline > V1.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by xyd View Post
    I own both and I would say that the V1 > Redline.

If I lived in Virginia or Washington D.C., give me a Redline.
    If I need TSR because of falses on the highway, give me a Redline.
    If I need voice alerts, give me a Redline.

If I need a very sensitive radar/laser detector than can tell me how many threats, which direction they are, and visually/audibly relay that information to me in an accurate manner....GIVE ME A VALENTINE ONE!!!
    Last edited by <<JAZZY>>; 01-18-2011 at 01:53 PM.

Radar Fanatic

So this was not C/O?

I've gotten X-band for over 4 miles between Columbus & Cincinnati on cool, dry, fall night back in 1998.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by <> View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xyd View Post
    I own both and I would say that the V1 > Redline.

If I lived in Virginia or Washington D.C., give me a Redline.
    If I need TSR because of falses on the highway, give me a Redline.
    If I need voice alerts, give me a Redline.

If I need a very sensitive radar/laser detector than can tell me how many threats, which direction they are, and visually/audibly relay that information to me in an accurate manner....GIVE ME A VALENTINE ONE!!!
    lol, since we have decided to derail this thread i would say 9500ix > everything else.

Great range, very impressive. I guess SML's testing on a 11mi course isn't such a bad idea.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwill41 View Post
    How can I believe this...

Did you mute it?
    If you have ever been in that area it is not hard to believe. Picture a cop on top of a large hill shooting radar over a 15 mile valley floor. Some of my best alert distances (STI DRIVER) have been from this area. Keep in mind when the leo is sitting stationary your alert distance will be the longest compared to if he is rolling as long as there is no terrain blocking his signal.
    Last edited by Freebird; 01-19-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post

Did you mute it?
    If you have ever been in that area it is not hard to believe. Picture a cop on top of a large hill shooting radar over a 15 mile valley floor. Some of my best alert distances (STI DRIVER) have been from this area. Keep in mind when the leo is sitting stationary your alert distance will be the longest compared to if he is rolling as long as there is no terrain blocking his signal.
    Just wondering if you, or anyone else might know the answer to this question..

If a Redline, or other top RD can detect an 11-15 mile signal, could a LEO read the speed from that far away? If the roads were clear and under an ideal situation?

If a LEO couldn't detect the speed from that distance, what the farthest a LEO could get a legit reading?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nosbusa View Post

Did you mute it?

If a Redline, or other top RD can detect an 11-15 mile signal, could a LEO read the speed from that far away? If the roads were clear and under an ideal situation?

If a LEO couldn't detect the speed from that distance, what the farthest a LEO could get a legit reading?
    1-1.5 miles tops, and 1.5mi is pushing it.

Power User

Did you mute it?

Jimbonzzz said it best.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz View Post
    To plagiarize one of my previous posts:

The maximum possible target range will vary from vehicle to vehicle depending on the radar cross section. For example, here's a Car & Driver test from way back in 1979(!). They used a Kustom KR-11, results are in feet.

But of course, different models etc will have different maximum ranges against the same vehicle.

A more recent study against some current guns can be found HERE. (It might be wise to take the absolute results in this with a grain of salt, considering who the author is.)

The target vehicle for the Stationary-Mode Maximum Range test was a Special Service Package Ford Expedition. This vehicle was otherwise used as the radar vehicle. For the Moving-Mode Maximum Range and Same Direction Maximum Range tests a Nissan Maxima was used as the target. All guns were Ka band except the Genesis II Directional which was K-Band.

To sum things up, it is generally a couple thousand feet to over a mile depending on the vehicle, the mode, and the circumstances.

On the other side of the coin, Speed measurement Labs testing has indicated that todays high-end detectors can alert to the radar at over ten miles away from the radar source, on straight, flat, line-of-sight terrain.

So, just about any modern radar detector is technically capable of alerting to police radar at several times the distance at which the radar gun can acquire your speed.

Now, some people might look at this info and conclude that any detector would be good enough, since it has the ability to alert farther away that the radar can acquire a speed. Nothing could be further from the truth. You just don't see such extreme straight, flat, line-of-sight, constant-on situations much in the real-world. Generally, the range is limited by terrain obstructions, aiming, instant-on, etc. Having a sensitive detector isn't about getting a three mile alert where another detector would have only given two miles. It's not about getting a 30 second alert while another detector would only provide 20 seconds. It's about getting that 1-2 bar alert over a hill, or when instant-on is being used up ahead. The point of having a sensitive detector is that there will always be situations where the more sensitive detector is capable of providing advanced warning, where a less sensitive detector would not.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by <> View Post

Did you mute it?

Jimbonzzz said it best.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz View Post
    To plagiarize one of my previous posts:

The maximum possible target range will vary from vehicle to vehicle depending on the radar cross section. For example, here's a Car & Driver test from way back in 1979(!). They used a Kustom KR-11, results are in feet.

But of course, different models etc will have different maximum ranges against the same vehicle.

A more recent study against some current guns can be found HERE. (It might be wise to take the absolute results in this with a grain of salt, considering who the author is.)

The target vehicle for the Stationary-Mode Maximum Range test was a Special Service Package Ford Expedition. This vehicle was otherwise used as the radar vehicle. For the Moving-Mode Maximum Range and Same Direction Maximum Range tests a Nissan Maxima was used as the target. All guns were Ka band except the Genesis II Directional which was K-Band.

To sum things up, it is generally a couple thousand feet to over a mile depending on the vehicle, the mode, and the circumstances.

On the other side of the coin, Speed measurement Labs testing has indicated that todays high-end detectors can alert to the radar at over ten miles away from the radar source, on straight, flat, line-of-sight terrain.

So, just about any modern radar detector is technically capable of alerting to police radar at several times the distance at which the radar gun can acquire your speed.

Now, some people might look at this info and conclude that any detector would be good enough, since it has the ability to alert farther away that the radar can acquire a speed. Nothing could be further from the truth. You just don't see such extreme straight, flat, line-of-sight, constant-on situations much in the real-world. Generally, the range is limited by terrain obstructions, aiming, instant-on, etc. Having a sensitive detector isn't about getting a three mile alert where another detector would have only given two miles. It's not about getting a 30 second alert while another detector would only provide 20 seconds. It's about getting that 1-2 bar alert over a hill, or when instant-on is being used up ahead. The point of having a sensitive detector is that there will always be situations where the more sensitive detector is capable of providing advanced warning, where a less sensitive detector would not.
    I believe some of the new radar guns can go a bit farther than some of those older guns, like the newer Stalker DSR X2.